promo718

quality posts: 0 Private Messages promo718

I got my Modern Romance shirt ( http://shirt.woot.com/offers/modern-romance ) in the mail yesterday, and upon opening the package was greeted by the strongest chemical odor that ever emanated from a woot shirt. Even after airing out overnight and wearing it all morning, the smell is still waging war on my nose. What are these toxic fumes?!

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

Introducing Our Newest Shirt Feature: Eau De Woot.

Slightly more technical answer: it's the remnant of the water-based DTG pretreatment. It does go away after a wash.

promo718

Narfcake wrote:Introducing Our Newest Shirt Feature: Eau De Woot.

Slightly more technical answer: it's the remnant of the water-based DTG pretreatment. It does go away after a wash.

Thanks for explaining!

I disagree with Woot saying that the smell is harmless: after breathing the fumes for three hours, my throat felt funny and my nose started dripping. I ended up stepping out for lunch and buying a new shirt to change into. Ahh, sweet relief!!

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Narfcake wrote:...It does go away after a wash.

As Narfcake said the smell does go away in the wash, and if your shirt is anything like the couple I have with digital printing, so will chunks of the ink.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
promo718 wrote:Thanks for explaining!

I disagree with Woot saying that the smell is harmless: after breathing the fumes for three hours, my throat felt funny and my nose started dripping. I ended up stepping out for lunch and buying a new shirt to change into. Ahh, sweet relief!!

Why don't you just wash it first? I don't just wear something like that without washing it, I don't know where it's been!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake

ignorant wrote:As Narfcake said the smell does go away in the wash, and if your shirt is anything like the couple I have with digital printing, so will chunks of the ink.

Oh yikes - is that here from Woot or somewhere else?

I haven't had such experiences at all, though most of my DTG printed shirts are from GoodJoe. So far, they've held up fine, with fishbiscuit's Be Yourself the most worn of them all.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ignorant wrote:As Narfcake said the smell does go away in the wash, and if your shirt is anything like the couple I have with digital printing, so will chunks of the ink.

I hope you've emailed support@woot.com with some linked photos. I haven't had this happen and I have a few of the DTG shirts.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ignorant

Narfcake wrote:Oh yikes - is that here from Woot or somewhere else?

I haven't had such experiences at all, though most of my DTG printed shirts are from GoodJoe. So far, they've held up fine, with fishbiscuit's Be Yourself the most worn of them all.

They are both from woot, one was washed once and the other maybe two or three times and both now have a "distressed" look to them. I'll try to post some pics once I have some time.

ignorant

ThunderThighs wrote:I hope you've emailed support@woot.com with some linked photos. I haven't had this happen and I have a few of the DTG shirts.

I haven't I don't want a replacement or refund. But I'll try to post photos in the forums at some point.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
ignorant wrote:I haven't I don't want a replacement or refund. But I'll try to post photos in the forums at some point.

I had the same thing happen to a DTG shirt from RedBubble. It wasn't set properly or something? They replaced it and it's been great for a couple of years now.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
ignorant wrote:I haven't I don't want a replacement or refund.

So you just wanted attention?

Nothing follows.

ignorant

taternuggets wrote:So you just wanted attention?

Always.

Narfcake

fishbiscuit5 wrote:... It wasn't set properly or something? ...

If the pretreatment wasn't evenly applied and/or the print was improperly cured, it can happen.

ignorant

Here are my two shirts, it's not horrible yet just looks distressed but I'm sure the more I wash the more I'll lose.

Solved It by Bootsboots

Mine after three washes

and Bantha-phant by Apelad

mine after one wash

bluetuba

ignorant wrote:Here are my two shirts, it's not horrible yet just looks distressed but I'm sure the more I wash the more I'll lose.

Solved It by Bootsboots

Mine after three washes

and Bantha-phant by Apelad

mine after one wash

Wow, I have a nearly 5 year old well washed and worn circuit-ulatory system and it doesn't look nearly as bad as this. The thin lines are cracking a bit but no ink has chipped off like that.

Distressed indeed.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ignorant

bluetuba wrote:Wow, I have a nearly 5 year old well washed and worn circuit-ulatory system and it doesn't look nearly as bad as this. The thin lines are cracking a bit but no ink has chipped off like that.

Distressed indeed.

Yeah, none of my screen printed woot shirts have any issues.
I'll just stick to screen printed shirts from now on.

Narfcake

ignorant wrote:Yeah, none of my screen printed woot shirts have any issues.
I'll just stick to screen printed shirts from now on.

Oy. Yeah, that definitely should NOT have happened in this short of time, no matter what blank they're on. I have some really well worn woot/AA shirts - while the shirt color has faded, offers extra ventilation, and the printing very cracked - none of it has flaked off like such.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Silly wooters. Playing with filters. Posts were offending some so they've been deleted.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ignorant

ThunderThighs wrote:Silly wooters. Playing with filters. Posts were offending some so they've been deleted.

Tater should probably be put on probation.

bluetuba

I haven't been probated in a while, I'm starting to feel neglected!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

bluetuba wrote:I haven't been probated in a while, I'm starting to feel neglected!

i mean, i could just probate all y'all.

but then it'd be awfully quiet.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

taternuggets

My post got deleted for saying terminal?? I agree that that bluetuba guy should be locked up for a few weeks... but I am innocent in this.

Injustice.

Nothing follows.

bluetuba

taternuggets wrote:My post got deleted for saying terminal?? I agree that that bluetuba guy should be locked up for a few weeks... but I am innocent in this.

Injustice.

You know how it is, some jerkface says "output device", somebody else's delicate ears burn, and the entire conversation gets vaporized.

It's not like it was a verbal exchange that will be missed and it was pretty off topic anyway.

If I want to play with filters I can always do so without posting the results.. ^^

*hugs Tater*

taternuggets

bluetuba wrote:You know how it is, some jerkface says "output device", somebody else's delicate ears burn, and the entire conversation gets vaporized.

It's not like it was a verbal exchange that will be missed and it was pretty off topic anyway.

If I want to play with filters I can always do so without posting the results.. ^^

*hugs Tater*

I'll bet it was ignorant that complained.

Nothing follows.

ignorant

taternuggets wrote:I'll bet it was ignorant that complained.

I'll never tell.

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123
ThunderThighs wrote:Silly wooters. Playing with filters. Posts were offending some so they've been deleted.

Genuinely puzzled here, but okay.

ignorant

davemays123 wrote:Genuinely puzzled here, but okay.

Taternuggets was being a real input device so the posts had to be deleted.

promo718

I finally got a chance to wash the smelly woot shirt. Alas, even after being put through the washer and dryer, the shirt still smells bad enough to the point where I don't want to wear it. I'm disappointed, as the design rocks. In the future I will put the shirt through another wash cycle, hopefully that will eliminate the smell altogether.

I discovered woot just over a year ago, but in that short time racked up almost 40 shirts. This experience put a damper on my woot shirt buying spree. $15 for a shirt I can't even wear until I wash it multiple times? No thanks.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Was this a daily shirt? Or from a side sale/back catalog?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

promo718

Mavyn wrote:Was this a daily shirt? Or from a side sale/back catalog?

It was not a daily shirt; probably a side sale. This is the design: http://shirt.woot.com/offers/modern-romance

I see it priced @ 18 now, but it was 15 when I bought it on 6/12.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
promo718 wrote:It was not a daily shirt; probably a side sale. This is the design: http://shirt.woot.com/offers/modern-romance

I see it priced @ 18 now, but it was 15 when I bought it on 6/12.

Yep, side sale. For smaller runs, they aren't always screen printing. Daily prints are still screen, though, FWIW on future buys. Shouldn't have the odor issue.

Might try running it with some oxiclean, if the odor hasn't cleared yet.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.