4%
4%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

davidmcbeth3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcbeth3

what kind of shirt is this??? is this a tardis shirt? then its bigger on the inside. if not, why say anything .. super NeXT shirt

srbumblebeeman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages srbumblebeeman

"Smaller on the outside" is what did it for me. I might have a tiny (huge) crush on Jenna Louise Coleman.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

Doctor Who and Monsters Inc. Smaller on the outside. Bigger on the inside. Clever all over.

stormshadow999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stormshadow999

Finally.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

OK the shirt I get, cute. But the write up. Wiffle balls? That's related to Dr Who and Monsters Inc how? Maybe I haven't seen enough Dr Who episodes....

theiking

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theiking
davidmcbeth3 wrote:what kind of shirt is this??? is this a tardis shirt? then its bigger on the inside. if not, why say anything .. super NeXT shirt

It is a Monsters INC. - Doctor Who Mashup.

While more people say Bigger on the Inside, Smaller on the outside has been said a few times in the past even on the classic series but most recently by Jenna Luise Coleman as victorian clara in "the Snowmen"

I think the design is actually quite clever if simplistic. There is a clear and concise theme being conveyed. I do believe that without the text it would have made people looking at it actually piece the two references together.

For me part of what makes the graphic tees I buy so much fun is when I buy subtle shirts that don't have text that clearly lays out what it is about.

I have to think about buying this one as I have blown 200 dollars in the last 3 months on shirts.

That being said davidmcbeth, even if you don't personally like a design because you do not get the reference does not mean that you should just go about bashing the design. An artist worked on this graphic and put their time and energy into this and made something they are proud of. To call it totally NeXT because the reference is lost on you is slightly disrespectful to the artist of this design.

theiking

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theiking
safyrejet wrote:OK the shirt I get, cute. But the write up. Wiffle balls? That's related to Dr Who and Monsters Inc how? Maybe I haven't seen enough Dr Who episodes....

The write-up is definitely a bit out there. The best I could think of when reading it is that it was alluding to the Doctor Who fandom of some sort.

It does not really relate to the design in any obvious or easily recognizable way

lordbowen

quality posts: 304 Private Messages lordbowen

Alright, someone's got to say it. Knock, knock. Who's there?

chefjoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefjoe

For those (like me) who haven't watched Monsters Inc in years.

grumble - should be POLICE (PUBLIC/CALL) BOX

fishbiscuit13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishbiscuit13

It's always a little jarring to see this artist name.

zorra578

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zorra578

This is very clever and I like both the movie and the show, but haven't watched the movies enough to notice as much as the show.

With that said as a precursor, I liked this shirt better when I thought it was a clever take on the door of the TARDIS as viewed from the inside by the Doctor. Since he lives there and all. And the "Smaller on the Outside" just makes it even more perfect for that viewpoint. Oh whale, I have the DeLorean-TARDIS crash shirt and am infinitely happy with that.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

Yay Fishbiscuit!

Nothing follows.

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76

Not having seen Monsters Etc., the joke was lost on me, and I thought it was just a clumsy joke that would be much better as: "The parts you can't see are much bigger (if you know what I mean)"

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

♫ Put American Apparel back where it came from or so help me! ♫

pg318

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318

The TARDIS isn't necessarily smaller on the outside - the chameleon circuit is capable of making it appear as anything to blend in with its surroundings. Despite being very clever, the Doctor hasn't been able to fix the circuit which broke in the first episode fifty years ago, locking it into its police box form, to the relief of the BBC's special effects department.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

YES! It printed! Thank you, thank you to everyone who voted. I can't wait to wear this to see Monsters University. "Smaller on the outside" is a definite nod to Clara Oswin Oswald, the Doctor's newest companion. I adore her!

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats fishbiscuit5!

darthbob14

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darthbob14
safyrejet wrote:OK the shirt I get, cute. But the write up. Wiffle balls? That's related to Dr Who and Monsters Inc how? Maybe I haven't seen enough Dr Who episodes....

It's most definitely a reference to the fandom. As a member of said fandom, its actually not a bad description at all of what we're like (especially right now, with the regeneration coming).

Though apparently someone on the writeup team really likes wiffle balls.

"Finally, an excuse to nuke France!"

notsomuch

quality posts: 7 Private Messages notsomuch

Weird how stuff happens sometimes. My 10 year old daughter just started Dr. Who on Netflix this morning. She LOVES Monsters Inc. and she is 65 pounds of huge personality; definitely smaller on the outside.

Thanks, Woot for this really weird set of coincidences this morning!

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

tj1023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tj1023
davidmcbeth3 wrote:what kind of shirt is this??? is this a tardis shirt? then its bigger on the inside. if not, why say anything .. super NeXT shirt

If you remember the words of Clara Oswald (the newest companion) she stated "Its smaller on the outside." in which the doctor replied "That's a REBOOT!

Councelor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Councelor
zorra578 wrote:Oh whale, I have the DeLorean-TARDIS crash shirt and am infinitely happy with that.

Amen!

When we had the recent Browncoat shirt I snarled when someone said this about throwing Serenity on any shirt to sell it, BUT while I do think the juxtaposition of Dr. Who and Monster's Inc could be coolly done, I don't think this was it. I don't think the artist truly disagreed with me, given that s/he felt the need to put the text on it.

Nothing personal, just my thoughts. Out for this Who shirt (But again, Love my 3 Delorian/Tardis shirts!). Although I do like this better then the Dalek Christmas tree (which I did buy).

AiRTiMe34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AiRTiMe34

Nice design, would be an instant buy if I could choose American Apparel.

alunj

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alunj

Just a guess that the whiffle ball comment refers to the classic Cybermen from the "Moonbase" storyline:

Another picture for emphasis of whiffle ball location:

Yet to be explained is why a creature devoid of emotion would be so interested in collecting and applying whiffle balls as bodily adornment.

mrbarister

quality posts: 30 Private Messages mrbarister
pg318 wrote:The TARDIS isn't necessarily smaller on the outside - the chameleon circuit is capable of making it appear as anything to blend in with its surroundings. Despite being very clever, the Doctor hasn't been able to fix the circuit which broke in the first episode fifty years ago, locking it into its police box form, to the relief of the BBC's special effects department.

Are you sure it was 50 years ago and not thousands of years from now?

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 2m 12.552s
First Sucker: cougar78
Last Wooter to Woot: kwgoal2917
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

First day sales 1115
First day posts 24