2%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lordbowen

quality posts: 224 Private Messages lordbowen

Love the blackness where the weather icon usually is. No sun, no clouds, no lightning bolt. So perfect.

lichme

quality posts: 2744 Private Messages lichme

Too bad my local weather isn't as predictable. Monday = Snow, Tuesday = Shorts, Wednesday = Hail

porlob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages porlob

Uh oh. Am I one of those people who goes onto comments sections to point out factual inaccuracies on tee shirts?

Oh no, I am! Please help!

Technically, space has no temperature, not absolute zero. Temperature is a property of matter, and there is no (or very little) matter in open space.

Despite what is shown in some movies, if you were released into space, you wouldn't instantly freeze to death. In fact, you'd stay roughly the same temperature. If space had a temperature of 0 Kelvin, spacecraft would need to generate massive amounts of heat just to keep astronauts alive and machinery functioning. But since there is no wind, etc., to carry away excess energy, finding a way to dissipate heat is a big challenge for the space program.

nick210

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nick210

Somewhere Neil deGrasse Tyson is crying

porlob wrote:Uh oh. Am I one of those people who goes onto comments sections to point out factual inaccuracies on tee shirts?

Technically, space has no temperature, not absolute zero. Temperature is a property of matter, and there is no (or very little) matter in open space.

Despite what is shown in some movies, if you were released into space, you wouldn't instantly freeze to death. In fact, you'd stay roughly the same temperature. If space had a temperature of 0 Kelvin, spacecraft would need to generate massive amounts of heat just to keep astronauts alive and machinery functioning. But since there is no wind, etc., to carry away excess energy, finding a way to dissipate heat is a big challenge for the space program.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Space is by no means always calm...

CT

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
porlob wrote:Uh oh. Am I one of those people who goes onto comments sections to point out factual inaccuracies on tee shirts?

ooooooh talk nerdy to me some more! <3 <3 <3 <3

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
porlob wrote:and there is no (or very little) matter in open space.

au contraire, there is much dark matter.

CT

gannon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gannon

Is it just me or is this shirt trying to say that space is a constant 3.15 Kelvin?

mariobros

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mariobros

You sir, just made me desist from buying this shirt... I don't want to be pointed out and mocked at as a living billboard of scientific inaccuracies.

Hope tomorrow they have a scientifically accurate t-shirt of a cat dressed in a ninja costume.

heylight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heylight

Haha, I'm so glad you posted this cause when I saw the shirt was titled "always accurate" I felt obligated to do it myself. I try not to get pedantic about t-shirts but if you love/are interested in space this shirt is maaaaybe not the best way to show it.

elvenraistlin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elvenraistlin

At the end it says bra instead of brah.

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

Shoulda been a 9 day forecast.

lummer5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lummer5000

Well, yes and no.
First, it's the weather report for Deep Space, not space near a star like The Sun.
If NASA was doing manned work a couple of lightyears out, they would be more worried about keeping enough heat inside.

And any mass out there will have a temperature tending towards 3.5K. Your thermometer will constantly report its temperature dropping as it radiates away heat.

I am slightly disappointed that there isn't a report of atmospheric pressure. Low, but not QUITE zero.

balzell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages balzell

Finally a weather forecast that you can bank on. Not to mention, a T-shirt that you can be proud to wear!!

balzell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages balzell

Maybe, it just doesn't matter!

porlob

rjquillin wrote:au contraire, there is much dark matter.

Well, sure. But dark matter, by definition, doesn't play by the same rules as "regular" matter. for instance, exhibitibg a temperature.

porlob

lummer5000 wrote:
I am slightly disappointed that there isn't a report of atmospheric pressure. Low, but not QUITE zero.

Ha! I like it!

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Next we need a mockery of JJ Abrams version of star trek depth perception.
Klingon home world: 5 minutes.
The moon: 1 mile.

Or, I can freeze a volcano, and save a civilization. The civilization is limited to one island???

chubs191

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chubs191

One could never reach absolute zero in a theater, only in a vacuum does it exist.

gtvsa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gtvsa

Shouldn't this be a 9 day forecast?

drmoos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drmoos

How about -270 with a chance of black holes!

nucleardrugs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nucleardrugs

"Sorry bra". Someone had a heck of a four day weekend and a Freudian slip. I would imagine that in space you get the same breast lift you get in a pool.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Yes! Thank you editors, Bought.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

Awesome! Big congrats Boots!

ocg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ocg

http://www.universetoday.com/77070/how-cold-is-space/

So yeah, in deep space, an object could be that cold.

werikblack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages werikblack

Kinda looks like a rip-off of the Alderaan t-shirt to me.
http://www.spreadshirt.com/star-wars-alderaan-5-day-weather-forecas-C3376A11473548

strausinator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strausinator
gannon wrote:Is it just me or is this shirt trying to say that space is a constant 3.15 Kelvin?

that's what I was wondering; was it really that hard to report the actual value for absolute zero, or is this a miraculously homogenous portion of space we are talking about?

phillyjimbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillyjimbo

I'm holding out for the Fahrenheit version; I hate C.

jalexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jalexan

I'd be all over this if it was -273 C. I'd even be able to forgive the 0.15!

2000se

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2000se
lummer5000 wrote:Well, yes and no.
First, it's the weather report for Deep Space, not space near a star like The Sun.
If NASA was doing manned work a couple of lightyears out, they would be more worried about keeping enough heat inside.

And any mass out there will have a temperature tending towards 3.5K. Your thermometer will constantly report its temperature dropping as it radiates away heat.

I agree - you would constantly be radiating energy away getting colder and colder. We had to do thermal heat equations like this in heat transfer class for satellites. I was actually quite interesting.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Forget "bra" vs. "brah"! Someone's family died at the end of the write up!

aerodave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aerodave
jalexan wrote:I'd be all over this if it was -273 C. I'd even be able to forgive the 0.15!

But deep space isn't absolute zero...it sits at a out 3 K, the temperature of the cosmic background radiation. Anything that gets colder than that will be warmed up by the microwave radiation that permeates the universe.

Space does have a temperature, even without significant matter. It's the equilibrium temperature things (like a thermometer) will reach if left to radiate their heat away long enough. And that, as above, is equal to the temperature of the cosmic microwave background, about 3 K, or -270 °C.

SelfGovern

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SelfGovern
phillyjimbo wrote:I'm holding out for the Fahrenheit version; I hate C.

Oh, are you an e=m((F-32)*5/9)^2 kind of person?

Liberty breeds responsibility

TTM77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TTM77

The Dinosaur would disagree with this T-Shirt. Shower do happen in space.

Glop29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Glop29
aerodave wrote:But deep space isn't absolute zero...it sits at a out 3 K, the temperature of the cosmic background radiation. Anything that gets colder than that will be warmed up by the microwave radiation that permeates the universe.

Space does have a temperature, even without significant matter. It's the equilibrium temperature things (like a thermometer) will reach if left to radiate their heat away long enough. And that, as above, is equal to the temperature of the cosmic microwave background, about 3 K, or -270 °C.

THANK YOU! I was looking for this reply! Space does have a temeprature, 2.7 Kelvin (the shirt is rounding to ~ 3 Kelvin). The Microwave background radiation ensures that space always has a temperature. As cosmic expansion redshifts this background radiation, the universe cools, though I'd say this shirt gives an accurate forcast for the next few hundred million years.

So if you're worried about being criticisized for the accuracy of this shirt, you can smuggly outnerd your critic and tell them that no, deep space does in fact have a temperature, and no, it is not absolute zero, it is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
Glop29 wrote:THANK YOU! I was looking for this reply! Space does have a temeprature, 2.7 Kelvin (the shirt is rounding to ~ 3 Kelvin). The Microwave background radiation ensures that space always has a temperature. As cosmic expansion redshifts this background radiation, the universe cools, though I'd say this shirt gives an accurate forcast for the next few hundred million years.

So if you're worried about being criticisized for the accuracy of this shirt, you can smuggly outnerd your critic and tell them that no, deep space does in fact have a temperature, and no, it is not absolute zero, it is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

You are released to purchase this shirt.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
werikblack wrote:Kinda looks like a rip-off of the Alderaan t-shirt to me.
http://www.spreadshirt.com/star-wars-alderaan-5-day-weather-forecas-C3376A11473548

Hmm, my first thought is that you have an odd interpretation of rip-off. But given that this design has little correlation to that Alderaan design, perhaps you are trying to get people to purchase from the other site?.....

Objectively, this design does not rely upon a Star Trek relationship, so it might appeal to a wider population. And who knows what the sales might've done with a police box in the corner.....

silverlake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlake

Anything but black and I would have one.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Oh yeah! I was hoping this would get an EC. I'll be getting one for sure. Congrats, Boots!