theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Two thumbs up for offering this shirt in different colors! Any chance it might be a permanent or semi-permanent option?

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

drawninward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drawninward
spielmadchen wrote:Only one woman? You could have at least put Ada Lovelace in there.

Rosalind Franklin + Marie Curie = 2

krittikae

quality posts: 19 Private Messages krittikae

Nice shirt, but I can't get over how great the write-up was! I cracked up over "Jimmy Fallon's dad" and "Barack Obama as a college intern." Props on the creativity for that one!!

amorphousalias

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amorphousalias
spielmadchen wrote:Only one woman? You could have at least put Ada Lovelace in there.

2 *is* a pretty low number considering.

kwaping

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping
Harui wrote:I love that Tesla is on here and NOT Edison! :D

I hate that Tesla is on here and not Edison. This Tesla fad, 100% manufactured by the Oatmeal, needs to go away. They both have made significant contributions, and the whole Tesla > Edison thing is pure b.s.. It's based solely on the opinion of a guy who draws web comics for a living.

There, I said it.

khazor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages khazor

THIS NEEDS TO BE A POSTER. I know several school teachers who would buy this for their classrooms, and several nerds who would buy it for their bedrooms.

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182
kwaping wrote:I hate that Tesla is on here and not Edison. This Tesla fad, 100% manufactured by the Oatmeal, needs to go away. They both have made significant contributions, and the whole Tesla > Edison thing is pure b.s.. It's based solely on the opinion of a guy who draws web comics for a living.

There, I said it.

+1 all the way.. Granted I read Oatmeals stuff, and enjoy it. But I certainly don't let his opinion on the how the world should be, affect my life and my decisons. Sadly though, most people are so easily influenced, and it's only getting worse.

...i remain, he who remains to be...

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

theoneill555 wrote:Two thumbs up for offering this shirt in different colors! Any chance it might be a permanent or semi-permanent option?

We didn't have the ability to do it before, but since we REALLY wanted multiple color options for this one we asked our Dev team to help us out and they came through. Now that we have the capability, I wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit more in the future, when we think the design really calls for it.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Yup. Love the multiple colors.

zopster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zopster
RikkiB wrote:Maybe I should work on a similar one with the Doctors...

I have some co-workers who would be all over that!

YaakovA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YaakovA

James Watson!!!
That's a Woot Shirt killer for me. Stole Rosalind Franklin's life's work. never gave her credit. refused to discuss it despite numerous requests.
Its no wonder he never contributed anything else to science and has spent 50 years living of his ill gotten glory. At least Crick was a legitimate scientist

deemery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deemery

On a Heisenshirt, I'd assert you get to know either color or size, but not both at the same time ;-)

theladiesman06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theladiesman06

#25, Chris Martin.

theladiesman06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theladiesman06

#25, Chris Martin, The Scientist

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303
YaakovA wrote:James Watson!!!
That's a Woot Shirt killer for me. Stole Rosalind Franklin's life's work. never gave her credit. refused to discuss it despite numerous requests.
Its no wonder he never contributed anything else to science and has spent 50 years living of his ill gotten glory. At least Crick was a legitimate scientist

While it may be true that he borrowed/stole Franklin's work, it is not true that this has been his only contribution to science. He was largely responsible for starting the human genome project. I take more issue with what a racist jerk he is.

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303
gpuerco wrote:I'd like to humbly request the "all biology" or "evolution" edition, including: Mendel, Wallace, Huxley, Fisher, Haldane, Dobzhansky, Wright, Mayr, Maynard-Smith, Wilson, Margulis, Dawkins, Woese, Stearns, Shubin... (add your favorite)

Okay...
Lamarck- Hey, right idea, wrong mechanism! ;)
SJ Gould
Hamilton
Bateman

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate
digitalis303 wrote:While it may be true that he borrowed/stole Franklin's work, it is not true that this has been his only contribution to science. He was largely responsible for starting the human genome project. I take more issue with what a racist jerk he is.

He's only racist cause he is the only guy on this shirt still alive. Everyone else, who was possibly racist has died.
I know that it's not accepted today, but it is sometimes difficult to change the way you grew up and learning environment.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Zoom function added to today's detail images. Zoom in for extra sciencey goodness!

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui
kwaping wrote:I hate that Tesla is on here and not Edison. This Tesla fad, 100% manufactured by the Oatmeal, needs to go away. They both have made significant contributions, and the whole Tesla > Edison thing is pure b.s.. It's based solely on the opinion of a guy who draws web comics for a living.

There, I said it.

This is not true. I knew of Tesla long before the comic came out, and I've read several books on Tesla.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555
tgentry wrote:We didn't have the ability to do it before, but since we REALLY wanted multiple color options for this one we asked our Dev team to help us out and they came through. Now that we have the capability, I wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit more in the future, when we think the design really calls for it.

Thanks!

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
tgentry wrote:We didn't have the ability to do it before, but since we REALLY wanted multiple color options for this one we asked our Dev team to help us out and they came through. Now that we have the capability, I wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit more in the future, when we think the design really calls for it.

Awesome!

mothlab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mothlab

Great idea but not enough women and too many physicists. What about chemists? And BIOLOGISTS!!!

Okay you have Marie Curie who won 2 Nobels (physics and chemistry) but what about Maria Goeppert Mayer who also won a Nobel in physics?

And how about the 3 other women who won Nobels in Chemistry and the 10 women who won Nobels in Physiology or Medicine? Surely you must have heard of Barbara McClintock who discovered "jumping genes" (in maize). Or Rosalind Franklin whose data was central to Watson and Crick's final model of double-helical DNA.

I hope you come back with another science tee devoted to other than the big guns everyone knows.

tangyrobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangyrobot

My momma always told me, if you've gotta explain it, it ain't funny.

TheDisreputableDog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheDisreputableDog

I realize that any collection of two dozen scientists can only be arbitrary. Still, I find the decision to include just two women and one person of color disappointing.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 50.669s
First Sucker: tgentry
Last Wooter to Woot: areubin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

First day sales 978
First day posts 63

Slate was most sales

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
TheDisreputableDog wrote:I realize that any collection of two dozen scientists can only be arbitrary. Still, I find the decision to include just two women and one person of color disappointing.

But the historical reality is that majority of scientists were white men, and any fair selection of important scientists will therefore reflect that. You can't change history.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 206 Private Messages Spiritgreen
massha10 wrote:But the historical reality is that majority of scientists were white men, and any fair selection of important scientists will therefore reflect that. You can't change history.

Yes, exactly massha10. You can't change history, you can only improve on it.

There are a lot of female scientists today in physics, anthropology, astrophysics, chemistry, well in every field! For Women In Science is one organization that awards fellowships and recognizes the importance of their contribution.

vegso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegso

Definitely wouldn't have bought this shirt without the multi coloured option

hatgirlstargazer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hatgirlstargazer

I just saw this today. Did I miss my chance to get this in a color other than slate? :-(

Man, that'll teach me to not woot often enough. I'd be all over this in a brighter color. Or rather, *it* would be all over *me*.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 40 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

hatgirlstargazer wrote:I just saw this today. Did I miss my chance to get this in a color other than slate? :-(

Man, that'll teach me to not woot often enough. I'd be all over this in a brighter color. Or rather, *it* would be all over *me*.

fantastic wordplay!
but yes, i'm afraid you've missed that opportunity for the time being. fret not! keep an eye on our Plus sales to see if we're offering it (and your other favorite designs) on different colors, shirt styles, and assorted swag.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

pjsabatelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjsabatelli

I like the way this shirt will fit after I buy it -- pretty sure I will. Looks great on me, just not yet. AND free shipping? I wud b nuts not to buy this!