• 19.7% - Street Fighter 217
  • 8.7% - Tekken 96
  • 26.1% - Smash Brothers 287
  • 32% - Mortal Kombat 352
  • 6.5% - Soul Caliber 72
  • 1.3% - Virtua Fighter 14
  • 5.6% - Other (comments, please) 62
1100 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Dwergmal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dwergmal

We don't care for fighting games. Society is violent enough without virtually participating.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Street Fighter is 3rd? P'shaw, uncultured masses.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

I was always partial to smash brothers but I did enjoy soul caliber quite a bit too. Regardless this sums up my philosophy to every fighting game I've ever played and I just happen to be wearing it as I type this. http://shirt.woot.com/offers/victory-through-chaos

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi

Guilty Gear ! One of the characters stabs you with their hair. Nothing else needs to be said.

tearythunder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tearythunder

Killer Instinct, Battle Arena Toshinden and Bloody Roar are pretty high on my list. I'm a Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Tekken fan too! I can't choose just one!

skgpyro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skgpyro

I loved Street Fighter 2, but once they opened it up to Marvel crossover was where I really thought it came together.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

tekken tag tourney was my fave

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Man... My answer keeps changing every time I read a different option. I've never really considered Smash Bros. to be part of the "fighting game" genre--can't really define why though so I guess it is.

I'm going to have to say Street Fighter, basically because it remains pretty great from iteration to iteration (though I hate having 3 to 10 different versions for each title).

Mortal Kombat went pretty downhill after MKII, in my opinion. But the first and second were both great.

But I think Soul Calibur I on the Dreamcast might be my favorite of all.

At the end of the day though, no matter how much I like fighting games, I really really suck at them.

yourtor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourtor

I'm going to have to go with DOA - entering age 99 was spectacular as a teenage boy

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Anything but Super Smash Bros Brawl.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

Among my personal favorites are Super Smash 64, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Soul Caliber 2. I also have some fond memories of Mortal Kombat and the Genesis version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Bushido Blade was pretty awesome and unique.

moles1138

quality posts: 27 Private Messages moles1138

Not much of a gamer. Had a Commodore 64 with a game called Barbarians. They'd go at each other with swords. If you made the right move, you'd cut the other guy's head off. Loads of fun.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

My two sons in the living room.

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose

I voted Tekken as best, but my favorites are Soul Calibur and Super Smash Brothers.

I don't know what people see in Mortal Kombat. It's the same attack every single match. Scorpion hook > punch punch punch > fatality

Finally, no mention of Marvel vs. Capcom? Shame...

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose
tearythunder wrote:Killer Instinct, Battle Arena Toshinden and Bloody Roar are pretty high on my list. I'm a Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Tekken fan too! I can't choose just one!

Oh man, I'd forgotten about those three. Classic!

I know what I'm going to do when I get home... and then I know what my wife is going to do shortly after.

revoluciano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revoluciano

Power Stone!

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

My brother and I - during a mean drinking game!
I mean MEAN.

Ah, the hell with it.

omaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omaboy

Primal Rage was the best

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

I rather liked Bloody Roar, too.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

keenerdioa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keenerdioa

Bushido blade. But I think they only made 1 so I guess its technically not a series.

pmillsrulz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmillsrulz

My favorite fighting game series in this poll is dead last. Heh. Virtua Fighter was installed in the game room at the local gas station in my neighborhood when I was a teen. Threw a lot of my Dad's quarters into that machine.
Akira and Pai Chan were my fave characters and I kinda wished I'd developed into a tall, shapely female like Sarah Bryant, with some BA moves like hers, too.

bubbachuck

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bubbachuck

Soul Calibur is spelled with a "u".

Of course Mortal Kombat leading. What a bunch of plebs :P

Fear denies faith

maryjanebg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryjanebg

Mortal Kombat

stargirl6878

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargirl6878

Killer Instinct for sure!

tearythunder wrote:Killer Instinct, Battle Arena Toshinden and Bloody Roar are pretty high on my list. I'm a Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Tekken fan too! I can't choose just one!

mypiesarepiff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mypiesarepiff

No MVC2? I would pwn you with Amingo. I can still remember the dumb soundtrack it had on dreamcast. I use to have those songs stuck in my head all day. "I'm gonna take you for a ride"

Pretty and Asian since 1985. Holla atcha boy
♥ Random Crap 01/31/07 ♥ Random Crap 08/30/07
♥ Random Crap 03/27/09 ♥ Random Crap 10/28/09
♥ Random Crap 11/19/09 ♥ Random Crap 06/24/10
♥ Random Crap 09/14/11 ♥ Random Crap 01/19/12
♥ Random Crap 04/26/12

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

Boxing - Computer fighting games are for pretend fighters. Thems fightin words.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284
Dwergmal wrote:We don't care for fighting games. Society is violent enough without virtually participating.

We are all descendent from the meanest best fighters and will continue to be so. The meek will inherit the right to be martyrs.

Jeessee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeessee

DiveKick