trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Tonight I found James Cho's Don’t Call Me Robin on AA at a thrift store for $1.48! I've picked up a couple Woot shirts at thrift stores, but this is my best find.

It was a geeky middle-aged woman moment while going through the tshirts and saying out loud, "Hey, that's a Cho!" Not many people around here can look at a tshirt and know who the artist is. I have more of James Cho's shirts than any other Woot artist.

Anyone else finding great thrift store Woot shirt bargains out there?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I know NarkCake has many thrift store finds...not just woot tees, but many of the tee places featuring common artists.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
Mavyn wrote:I know NarkCake has many thrift store finds...not just woot tees, but many of the tee places featuring common artists.

I only purchase shirts designed by noble artists

Narfcake

quality posts: 281 Private Messages Narfcake

I stacked these back in May in anticipation of another round of "Name That Shirt", Spring 2013 SoCal Thrift Stores edition ...

It's notable that both Zombies Chase Me and Shirt of Stealth were still available in the reckoning when I found them, so some folks (they were found separately) paid full price only to get rid them weeks later. I'm guessing it was for the usual reasons, and I don't think they'd be back buying any more Woot shirts. Indeed, of the 6 Anvil shirts in the stacks, the only one that wasn't so shrunken up was The Cat In the Box because it was still unwashed/unworn (the timing places it as an unwanted random).

Of the crowdsourced sites, I run across more Threadless shirts than any other. Woot comes in a distant second, TeeFury third. DBH, RipT, and ShirtPunch I've seen some, but rarely - this all makes sense in regards to overall sales volume. It was also only a couple weeks ago in which I ran across the first GoodJoe shirt.

The one design I've ran across the most - My Morning Sidekick, which clocks in at 6. This contrasts The Binge and Nevermore, both at 2 each, despite selling many many more copies, and I have yet to come across a single It Came Out of Nowhere.

Fastest debut-to-thrift store find - 4 weeks with Read. This was early in the brand transition, so I was NOT surprised to see one in the women's section ... or the other two copies in subsequent months.

trekmiss

Wow, I knew you had found a few, but that's more than a few. I'm not sure I'd buy an anvil woot shirt even at thrift prices, but I'll buy any AA woot shirt no matter what size. The shirt I found yesterday was a ML making it my size. That made me very happy!

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Wow, I knew you had found a few, but that's more than a few. I'm not sure I'd buy an anvil woot shirt even at thrift prices, but I'll buy any AA woot shirt no matter what size.

That pile is from many visits to many thrift stores here; I'm sure I flipped through well over 10k shirts on the racks to find them over the course of a few months.

I'm selective with the Anvils; a design from an artist I like, in passable condition, and $3 or less? It's probable. Stray from that, and it's not so likely.

I'm more lenient with the AAs, but even then, I can't/don't save all of them. A questionable design, too worn/damaged, and/or over valued and they're a pass too.

The shirt I found yesterday was a ML making it my size. That made me very happy!

Woo, yay! There's a definite thrill to the hunt, and when it's a really good shirt, it's even more exciting.

(Kind of like when I ran across an UnNinja a couple weeks ago that's less worn than my two "wear" copies. SOLD! ... because I just don't have enough of them. First one I've ran across too.)

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

I donated about 100 shirts to the Goodwill in Cambridge (I think; might've been another one in the area). Most were free shirts from college, but there were at least 20 AA Woot shirts. Hopefully someone else is enjoying them!

Narfcake

Slarti59 wrote:... Hopefully someone else is enjoying them!

Hopefully so, as unsold shirts can end up at raghouses. While there's still salvaging going on at that level, as their name implies, it's mostly where textile products are cut up and sold off as bulk rags ... which is the possible fate of at least one more shirt. Sorry, @ORabbit - I just can't justify $4.99 for an Anvil WS copy of Russian Nesting Doll.

I'll see about a stacking a summer thrift store finds soon ...

trekmiss

I've been in Fort Worth the past few days. I found a Goodwill and went through several hundred tshirts and came up with not a single woot shirt. I was hoping for at least one shirt, instead all I got was sore shoulders and arms from browsing through all those poor, unwanted shirts. I found another Goodwill on my phone map app, so I'll be trying again.

I wonder if the Carrolton Goodwill has any? I'm afraid if they did, they'd all be Anvils.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:... I wonder if the Carrolton Goodwill has any? I'm afraid if they did, they'd all be Anvils.

My gut reaction was "misprints!", and then "oh wait - Woot just sends to misprints to the customers anyways and waits for them to complain about it ...

I've ran across some misprinted DBH shirts from time to time in the Orange County Goodwills, but those are probably gone nowadays, since DBH moved north to Chico, CA.

trekmiss

Narfcake wrote:My gut reaction was "misprints!", and then "oh wait - Woot just sends to misprints to the customers anyways and waits for them to complain about it ...

I've ran across some misprinted DBH shirts from time to time in the Orange County Goodwills, but those are probably gone nowadays, since DBH moved north to Chico, CA.

Back in the day, I got a free box of misprints with my random shirt order, including a letter from woot! Some were pretty bad, but most were wearable. I kept what fit and gave away several. Only the worst ones went to goodwill. That was a highlight of my wooting days, more than any Bandolier of Carrots

Getting a free box of misprints is cool! Receiving a misprint when you paid full price for a good shirt is not cool!

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Back in the day, I got a free box of misprints with my random shirt order, including a letter from woot! Some were pretty bad, but most were wearable. I kept what fit and gave away several. Only the worst ones went to goodwill. That was a highlight of my wooting days, more than any Bandolier of Carrots

Getting a free box of misprints is cool! Receiving a misprint when you paid full price for a good shirt is not cool!

Yeah. Those were the good old days ...

I shouldn't be completely negative here - Woot's service has always come through, even if it wasn't right away. Still, I couldn't help but to feel some frustration for the folks who receive imperfect shirts thinking it's "normal".

Of my aforementioned Anvils, the hem has since unraveled on Curiosity and Hamster of Dooom is still too stretched out to salvage.

trekmiss

Narfcake wrote:Yeah. Those were the good old days ...

I shouldn't be completely negative here - Woot's service has always come through, even if it wasn't right away. Still, I couldn't help but to feel some frustration for the folks who receive imperfect shirts thinking it's "normal".

Of my aforementioned Anvils, the hem has since unraveled on Curiosity and Hamster of Dooom is still too stretched out to salvage.

Agree about woot service. They've always been excellent when I've had to contact them. I haven't had to do that much, since I haven't bought much in the last year. And before this past year, shirt problems were fewer and farther between.

Narfcake

Summer stack:

Ghosties, UnNinja 4 and Save the Trees were unwashed/unworn. Flaming UnNinja was the best, though ... because I don't have enough of them, y'know.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
Narfcake wrote:Summer stack:

(pic was here)

Ghosties, UnNinja 4 and Save the Trees were unwashed/unworn. Flaming UnNinja was the best, though ... because I don't have enough of them, y'know.

Ooooooo you found the elusive Dark Knight!! Impressive find.

07/11/14

Narfcake

caramelarrow wrote:Ooooooo you found the elusive Dark Knight!! Impressive find.

Yep! Not my size, though. Still a good find, and one more to the "no longer available shirts" set, which was recently amended with my LS copy of Don't Take My Word for It (randoms last time).

Narfcake

It's been pretty dry recently ...

This is the second time I found a shirt in its week #4 on the reckoning (with the usual Anvil issues of course).

As for the DTG ... it's just sad.

(click to enlarge)

FWIW, I didn't buy it on purpose. Rather, it was found in a rag bag - unwashed, unworn ... unloved. No one bought it when it was $1.98 ... or $1.49 ... or $0.99 ... or even $0.49. When it looks like this, I'm not surprised. The AA asphalt blanks were dark already; the Anvil "equivalent", even darker. Mix in the "not-as-black" black of DTG, and this was the result.

When I find a well-worn Woot shirt, that means someone enjoyed that shirt a lot. When I find very recent shirts or unworn ones that were not from randoms, that means someone was very displeased. Whoever bought it from the back catalog (at $18), I doubt they'll be coming back to buy another shirt.

It's not DTG that's the problem; I'm wearing a shirt from GoodJoe that's DTG today, and the black is compensated for. It's the operator (Woot) that needs to address this. It can work ... if they want it to.

(It's not my intention to turn this into another rant thread, but rather, provide more proof that things have to change and improve at Woot if they want it to grow. The reason why we complain is because we still care.)

trekmiss

Do they not even look at the shirts after they print? It's crazy that they don't seem to even care what the final product looks like.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Do they not even look at the shirts after they print? It's crazy that they don't seem to even care what the final product looks like.

I kind of wonder too ... and what TJost's opinion is on this.

From what has been posted in the QC thread and my own (limited) experience, I'm not hearing/seeing anything being done to address this. It's a disservice to the artist and a disservice to shirt.woot when subpar products are being sent out ... and I just can't see how this makes any business sense.

trekmiss

Latest thrift store find... Road Closed! Original AA size ML. In fair condition, but wearable. It was obviously owned/worn by a child. Has a name printed inside the collar. I'm pretty excited by this find.

The same day I found Ghost White Ale on Anvil MXL. It appeared to be new. I didn't buy it, more because of the ale reference, than the Anvil issue. There was also a Threadless and a TeeFury shirt there.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Narfcake wrote:It's been pretty dry recently ...

This is the second time I found a shirt in its week #4 on the reckoning (with the usual Anvil issues of course).

As for the DTG ... it's just sad.

(click to enlarge)

FWIW, I didn't buy it on purpose. Rather, it was found in a rag bag - unwashed, unworn ... unloved. No one bought it when it was $1.98 ... or $1.49 ... or $0.99 ... or even $0.49. When it looks like this, I'm not surprised. The AA asphalt blanks were dark already; the Anvil "equivalent", even darker. Mix in the "not-as-black" black of DTG, and this was the result.

When I find a well-worn Woot shirt, that means someone enjoyed that shirt a lot. When I find very recent shirts or unworn ones that were not from randoms, that means someone was very displeased. Whoever bought it from the back catalog (at $18), I doubt they'll be coming back to buy another shirt.

It's not DTG that's the problem; I'm wearing a shirt from GoodJoe that's DTG today, and the black is compensated for. It's the operator (Woot) that needs to address this. It can work ... if they want it to.

(It's not my intention to turn this into another rant thread, but rather, provide more proof that things have to change and improve at Woot if they want it to grow. The reason why we complain is because we still care.)

Sad to see my shirt in that state. I have to say that I haven't had much luck with dark-on-dark shirts at GoodJoe either. I'm not sure DTG isn't ultimately to blame -- it just can't handle some of what is thrown at it.

Narfcake

thatrobert wrote:Sad to see my shirt in that state. ...

Likewise. I may try bleaching it down the line. Also, I sent you a PM.

Not much else here in thrift store shirt.woot finds since, other than a turbunny one by what's-her-thief (which I left). I did go "oooh, a TeeTurt- ... oh wait, it's TeeFury." a couple weeks ago; probably should've bought it anyways to resell on eBay.

Narfcake

It's been a bit slower so far this year at least in regards to ones worth purchasing(*) ...

Yes, one of them is STILL IN THE RECKONING, though technically, it's in its 4th week now, not 3rd; I don't even blink when I find a recent shirt already discarded (stupid blanks!). Typical with preworn Anvils, its neckline was overly stretched out though I think I can still salvage it. 4 of these were unwashed/unworn; I'm guessing Artichokey (which really brightened my day when I found it) was from the ASSS promo and the others were from various randoms.

(* - I've ran across more, but the condition, design, and/or price didn't warrant purchasing.)

choiceweb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages choiceweb

I've definitely donated a few Woot shirts to Goodwill. Sometimes a design seems cool on here but just doesn't get worn as much as I'd thought.

I definitely miss the AA shirt too though. It's one reason that I only buy a few shirts a year off of here now.