WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

There was a time before graphic chips, before GUIs, and even before monitor displays when computers used only the 95 printable ASCII characters. Like Egyptian hyroglyphicians, early pioneers of digital art had to do more with less, and that's what we're asking for this week. In celebration of this old-school nerd-fest, we're giving out terrific (?) prizes to the top vote-getters:

First Place: $1,000 plus a "gold-plated" Commodore 64
Second Place: $1,000 plus a "silver-plated" 5 1/4" floppy diskette
Third Place: $1,000 plus a Pile of Wires

• Must be original ASCII art. No copy/pasting someone else's work. 
  • Each text character must be made up of one solid color.  
  • No Block Ascii/High Ascii
  • Text should be at no smaller than 14pt. We'll reject if we think the text looks too small to print or reduce for smaller sizes. 
  • Normal copyright rules apply. 

lichme

quality posts: 2864 Private Messages lichme

This should be interesting. Great theme.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

I wonder if "someone else's work" includes ascii art generators.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
First Place: $1,000 plus a "gold-plated" Commodore 64
Second Place: $1,000 plus a "silver-plated" 5 1/4" floppy diskette
Third Place: $1,000 plus a Pile of Wires

I NEED that pile of wires!

Q: 6 colors still allowed?

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

ಠ_ಠ

This could be very good, or very very bad. Better not mess this up nerds!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

two questions...
1. What font is best suited for this?

2. Can you please make it clear whether or not a ASCII generator is allowed?

Lyonscc will use the generator if allowed, GUARANTEED! Please let's not.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
benjaminleebates wrote:two questions...

I don't see why a generator wouldn't be allowed - as long as you were generating something from original artwork. Besides, how would you even know or be able to prove if a generator was used?

benjaminleebates

marceepauff wrote:I don't see why a generator wouldn't be allowed - as long as you were generating something from original artwork. Besides, how would you even know or be able to prove if a generator was used?

If it is ascii generated from your original work, then MAYBE. But then you get into the war over whether or not the work is yours. I called out a particular artist in my last post, because he has been called out repeated on using stuff he found on the web and then denying that he did so, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

So using a generator would be like saying, open season. Go grab anything you got, scan it in and call it a shirt.

To your point tho, if someone is really good, could they create something from scratch so well that it appears to have came from an ascii generator? HMMMM...

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

So can we get clarification or a link to the character set? No pipe character for example?

tiffanys09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffanys09
benjaminleebates wrote:two questions...

Any monospaced font is going to work for this. The internet can probably help you investigate that. Just remember as it says above, if the font looks too small to print well, we will probably axe it.

In regards to the ASCII generators, as people have mentioned above, there is not really a way for us to tell whether or not someone used a generator. Also, the generators themselves could have restrictions. So...

Normal color restrictions apply.

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:I don't see why a generator wouldn't be allowed - as long as you were generating something from original artwork. Besides, how would you even know or be able to prove if a generator was used?

My worry here is how much fudge room there is. Use of layers? Kerning? Nonstandard typefaces? You can push all of these boundaries a little to goose your design, but strictly speaking, could not produce similar designs with true ascii art. Where does creativity end and non-adherence to rules begin? Will the rejector even care?

If not, will this put the people who produced true ascii art at a disadvantage?

marceepauff

sonofafish wrote:My worry here is how much fudge room there is. Use of layers? Kerning? Nonstandard typefaces? You can push all of these boundaries a little to goose your design, but strictly speaking, could not produce similar designs with true ascii art. Where does creativity end and non-adherence to rules begin? Will the rejector even care?

If not, will this put the people who produced true ascii art at a disadvantage?

I'm sure they expect boundary pushing. That's kind of the point. But I would think the bottom line would be that it needs to be recognizable as ascii and be original.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Man, I haven't made any ASCII art since the days of usenet. Ultima Dragons, yo.

These are the 95 allowed characters:

If you use a generator you should probably post the original artwork too. A generator is just like any other filter. You're never allowed to use photos or other people's art, so that would be the best way to prove it.

benjaminleebates

Spiritgreen wrote:Man, I haven't made any ASCII art since the days of usenet. Ultima Dragons, yo.

These are the 95 allowed characters:

If you use a generator you should probably post the original artwork too. A generator is just like any other filter. You're never allowed to use photos or other people's art, so that would be the best way to prove it.

Posting original would be great, but you know that's like pulling teeth. " Just trust me man, I didn't all my self, really I did, honest..." fingers crossed

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:I'm sure they expect boundary pushing. That's kind of the point. But I would think the bottom line would be that it needs to be recognizable as ascii and be original.

splitting hairs here, but I disagree that that's kinda the point. It IS the point, because I doubt it'll get you disqualified. Ref's not looking, so sweep the leg!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
benjaminleebates wrote:Posting original would be great, but you know that's like pulling teeth. " Just trust me man, I didn't all my self, really I did, honest..." fingers crossed

If it gets made an official requirement that'd help! :hint hint:

benjaminleebates

Spiritgreen wrote:If it gets made an official requirement that'd help! :hint hint:

True, but how many times in all the derbies has that occurred?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Spiritgreen wrote:If it gets made an official requirement that'd help! :hint hint:

Then you'll just have people claiming they didn't use a generator and the ascii art is the original art.

Nothing follows.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I would think a generator would be cheating. The original artists had to figure out the shadows by trail and error. If generators are allowed then I can pick any of my pre-made art and just toss it in like that and have an entry ready in less than a minute. :/

benjaminleebates

writermist wrote:I would think a generator would be cheating. The original artists had to figure out the shadows by trail and error. If generators are allowed then I can pick any of my pre-made art and just toss it in like that and have an entry ready in less than a minute. :/

DING DING DING, yes, exactly!

marceepauff

writermist wrote:I would think a generator would be cheating. The original artists had to figure out the shadows by trail and error. If generators are allowed then I can pick any of my pre-made art and just toss it in like that and have an entry ready in less than a minute. :/

But again, there's no way to prove it one way or the other. Just because we have the technology to do it easily now doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to. That's like saying we can't use Photoshop filters or plug-ins because that's cheating...we used to have to do that the hard way too. Or saying that people who use a tablet instead of a mouse are cheating.

The hard part should be coming up with a unique and original idea that makes sense with the theme. Not to mention creating something that people would actually want to wear.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

(I've already decided to bold it up a bit)

I am not sure if a generator would produce the desired results that most people want anyway... and then there is the hassle of coloring (because if you want it colored it is in HTML but that won't copy paste into Photoshop or Gimp.) And trying to hack edit the screen shot will look pretty bad too. Anyways here is what I will be entering...

markymark77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages markymark77

I think a generator is fine; if the results don't look like ASCII art (due to the generator working too good), it will not likely get too many votes. Kerning won't be possible with a monospaced font. So if you run a detailed design thru a generator, it won't look like ASCII art.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Man this is hard- haven't attempted making ascii art in YEARS. Fun though, in a tedious accomplishment way.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

NO one asked the most important question: Is the Commodore 64 in working order?

marceepauff

ambergreen wrote:NO one asked the most important question: Is the Commodore 64 in working order?

I still have mine. And it is. (But it isn't gold plated.)

chunkcherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkcherry

Esoteric1081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Esoteric1081

I noticed the title says: "Up next... Derby #316: ACII Art"

Not sure if that is a typo (missing the 'S') or if it is correct. Can anybody educate me if it is correct as ACII or if I am missing a joke somewhere?

thatgrrlca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatgrrlca

I like making ASCII art but I'm new to this site and the derby. I found it while looking for ASCII art (I curate a feed on Scoop.it). Anyway, I don't know what the rules are for size of the image, etc.

Usually you can tell if ASCII art was made with automation. It tends to be in block or grey scale versus line art and it uses the same set of characters rather than the more random assortment you use when creating ASCII art manually.

FixedSys font is my favourite but there are other monospaced fonts out there. Consolas (not sure on spelling) is nice and dependable too.

oakenspirit

Esoteric1081 wrote:I noticed the title says: "Up next... Derby #316: ACII Art"

Not sure if that is a typo (missing the 'S') or if it is correct. Can anybody educate me if it is correct as ACII or if I am missing a joke somewhere?

Assassin's Creed 2 Art? ;) (I'm thinking it's a typo.)

oakenspirit

thatgrrlca wrote:I like making ASCII art but I'm new to this site and the derby. I found it while looking for ASCII art (I curate a feed on Scoop.it). Anyway, I don't know what the rules are for size of the image, etc.

Usually you can tell if ASCII art was made with automation. It tends to be in block or grey scale versus line art and it uses the same set of characters rather than the more random assortment you use when creating ASCII art manually.

FixedSys font is my favourite but there are other monospaced fonts out there. Consolas (not sure on spelling) is nice and dependable too.

RAD- make something!!! Here's the SPECS page-

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/upload

It has most the info you need and ask away if you don't understand something. The derby starts tomorrow at noon and typically the sooner you post your design, the better off you are.

thatgrrlca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatgrrlca
oakenspirit wrote:RAD- make something!!! Here's the SPECS page-

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/upload

Thanks for the link. I have a few ASCII pictures I wanted to do this week so this is great timing. I don't make massive images so I wanted to know rules for size.

oakenspirit

chunkcherry wrote:

This guy is creeping me out!

jalbertson1122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jalbertson1122

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

My 6th grade teacher had a huge ASCII art of Spock holding the Enterprise on his wall. This was back in the days when the computer in the classroom was a Trash-80 model 1 with a cassette drive!

This derby is gonna be hell on the rejectorator- it's really hard to come up with good ASCII art without cheating.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

Im new to this site. I already made something. I went with the theme as ascii. I have a feeling mine will be rejected for not creating ascii only art.

-

mdh22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdh22

The letters are from the human genome. Thoughts on a title? Or other comments.

Thanks!

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
mdh22 wrote:The letters are from the human genome. Thoughts on a title? Or other comments.

Thanks!

"The letters make us" was the first idea that came to my mind.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Narfcake wrote:"The letters make us" was the first idea that came to my mind.

"letters from my parents"

mdh22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdh22
no1 wrote:"letters from my parents"

very clever!