WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Shirt.Woot is throwing a real-person party in Seattle on September 1st to celebrate...we donno...parties? We'll announce all the details here on the blog on and on our Facebook page with all the details soon, so stay tuned, but part of the fun will be an "In-Real-Life Derby", in which the winner will be selected via a combination of technology and shouting. Sound awesome? It will be.

OPTIONAL DESCRIPTIVE TITLE FOR IMAGE

Theme: "Blow Our Minds" – Give us your best art/design/crazy shirt. These will be printed digitally so we can use fine halftones, photos (taken by the artist), no color limitations, etc. Our normal printable area still applies.

Schedule: Submission start and stop times coincide with the Derby 317 timeline. Submit from Friday @ Noon (Central) to Wednesday @ Noon (Central)

How to Submit: Send your design to derby@woot.com with "Shirt.Woot Party" as the subject.

How the Winners are Chosen: Accepted designs will be printed and decided on by the attendees of the Shirt.Woot Party on Sept.1st via a combination of technology and shouting. 

Prize: The winner will curate Shirt.Woot for a day, including the daily (which can be their own), the derby theme for that week, and a Plus Sale featuring designs of their choosing. So it's basically $1,000 (if you pick your own design) plus fame and glory.

FAQ

Will all submitted designs get printed and shown at the party? No. The criterion is "Blow Our Minds" we'll only accept designs that give a good-faith effort to do so. This may seem subjective (and it is) -- but unfortunately we can't print every submitted design for this party. Have fun, be creative, and blow our minds! 

Will the shirt(s) be sold? Maybe, our goal is to get super interesting never-before-seen art that you wouldn’t expect to see on Shirt.Woot. If production permits, we’d love to offer but we’ll have to wait and see.

How can we see what gets submitted? You can’t until the reveal on 9/1. If you’re in Seattle, you can come to the party and see them IRL. If you’re not in Seattle, we’ll have details as we get closer to the event on how you can view the shirts all virtually-like and let us know what you think. You can always post your designs here for community feedback. 

Does the winner get paid? Yes. The winner will get to curate their own daily and a Plus Sale, and if we  decide to sell the winning design(s) they will be subject to our normal contracting process. So basically $1,000. 

Are the designs subject to the same 60-Day exclusivity restriction? Short answer: No, these will not be subject to the 60 day hold. This is obviously a little out of the norm for us and not subject to our usual Derby terms and conditions. Exclusivity is part of the fun after all. But once the event is over, you’re free to do what you want with the designs.

Can we print over the seams? Unfortunately, no. DTG printing is pretty rad, but it’s not ideal for all-over printing.

Unlimited Colors, Really? Unlike our traditional screen printing, we have a lot more flexibility with DTG and can be more relaxed on the color restrictions. Keep in mind though, DTG uses 4-color process and on Fabric (technology). As a result there are colors such as ultra brights and fluorescents that won’t reproduce digitally.  We still reserve the right to exclude any we determine to be unprintable.

Other restrictions? Text needs to be larger than 24pt and our max print size is 15.5 x 19 inches.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Anything you say? :3 So many glorious ideas.

I'm moving to Seattle the week before. Guess I'll see you guys there hah...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Fresh idea! I'm expecting to see some amazing art come out of this.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Whhhaaaat??! Can I come to the party? I'm visiting the west coast for the first time ever right now and I'm gonna be in Washington on the 1st! This is the coolest thing ever.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

This may be a dumb question but- with unlimited colors and photos allowed and what-have-you, does that still mean we have to use half-toning or can we have infinite colors, gradients, etc and not worry about halftoning anything at all?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3340 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A party??? Can I be one of the cool kids and be invited?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

oakenspirit wrote:This may be a dumb question but- with unlimited colors and photos allowed and what-have-you, does that still mean we have to use half-toning or can we have infinite colors, gradients, etc and not worry about halftoning anything at all?

That should be fine. We have a lot more flexibility doing it solely with digital.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Mwahaha... ahem.

Keep text? Change font of text? No text?

tracieb1015

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tracieb1015
rasabi wrote:Mwahaha... ahem.

Keep text? Change font of text? No text?

I vote keep the text. This is cool and beautiful at the same time!

oakenspirit

Here's what I'm messing with. Any thoughts to improve? ;)

tbolt86

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbolt86

Question

If our design(s) don't win, will we still be able to rework them and submit them in future derbies, assuming that they don't violate any derby rules?

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm messing with. Any thoughts to improve? ;)

It's a beauty! I really like the lighting.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

The World Turtle

also: are we submitting our hi-res print ready file for the derby? Instead of a mockup and what not? Or do you guys/gals still want both?

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

BWAHAHAHAHA! Woot waited until I moved to Seattle to have their party!

And I'm desperately fixing up my desktop so I can submit an idea I've been working on for a while!

HUZZAH!

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:It's a beauty! I really like the lighting.

Thanks! I did it with prismacolors and then scanned it in and played around with lighting/etc in photoshop. I figured if pics were allowed, pics of drawings were too! hehe

ste7enl

Wait, I'm confused...was the deadline increased for this derby?

orabbit

ste7enl wrote:Wait, I'm confused...was the deadline increased for this derby?

Looks like it.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Yeah, for those of you who got your design in on time...you're awesome. We still have time and wanted to make sure we have a nice assortment of designs so we extended the deadline a bit.

ste7enl

joelterrific wrote:Yeah, for those of you who got your design in on time...you're awesome. We still have time and wanted to make sure we have a nice assortment of designs so we extended the deadline a bit.

The important thing here is that I am awesome.

JadenKale

joelterrific wrote:Yeah, for those of you who got your design in on time...you're awesome. We still have time and wanted to make sure we have a nice assortment of designs so we extended the deadline a bit.

*hugs Joel* THANK YOU!!!

tiffanys09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffanys09
ste7enl wrote:

also: are we submitting our hi-res print ready file for the derby? Instead of a mockup and what not? Or do you guys/gals still want both?

Print ready artwork please!

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:The important thing here is that I am awesome.

I've always wanted to be awesome!

I might have to make a second one then...

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

Well...I wasn't going to submit because I hadn't found time to work on anything...but then the deadline was extended (though I'm not sure for how long) so I decided to whip this up:

If you really want to blow your mind, try crossing your eyes...hint hint!

Anyway, I'm sending along the print ready artwork just in case y'all are still accepting submissions.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Even with the new deadline...I won't be able to make something for this one. I had an idea...but it needed too many hours...and I'm in the process of moving, IKEA stealing all my time...but I'm sure you already have tons of awesome designs!:D

ochopika

Staff

I sent mine using Google Drive because the file was too big. I've never used it before, can you guys get files that way?

JadenKale

ochopika wrote:I sent mine using Google Drive because the file was too big. I've never used it before, can you guys get files that way?

I certainly hope so... I had to send mine via Google Drive as well.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
JadenKale wrote:I certainly hope so... I had to send mine via Google Drive as well.

Me three! I didn't hear anything back from them yet, so hopefully that means it went through ok?

JadenKale

spilzer wrote:Me three! I didn't hear anything back from them yet, so hopefully that means it went through ok?

at the very least a quick, "we've received your entry and will soon be reviewed" email would ease my mind.

ochopika

Staff

JadenKale wrote:at the very least a quick, "we've received your entry and will soon be reviewed" email would ease my mind.

I just tested Google Drive on a non-gmail account and the file went through. That's a good sign that it may have worked for woot too.

orabbit

How do we get in on the action tonight? Are you going to make a new post with details at some point? Inquiring minds want to know.