WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We've got two Derbies this week! Sorta. Keep reading below for details on the bonus Derby! 

The theme for Derby #317 is "Pockets," one of the words that lose all meaning the more you say it. Pockets pockets pockets pockets pockets. WHAT DOES IT MEAN. 

This week we're looking for those trompe l'oeile pocket designs, such as this or this. "Trompe l'oeile" is just fancy-speak for "an optical illusion." That is: these will not be printed on actual pocket tees -- your designs should give the illusion of a pocket. Phew, belaboring is hard work. 

• No pop culture

SUPER BONUS DERBY TIME

We're throwing a Shirt.Woot party in Seattle on September 1st. It's going to be lots o' fun, and part of that fun will be a live In-Real-Life Derby with the theme "Blow Our Minds," in which Shirt denizens will support their favorite designs with a combination of technology and shouting. Check out this blog post for all the pertinent deets. 

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Super Bonus Derby sounds like a great idea.

tinyllamas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinyllamas

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'm totally there :3

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

No Pop Culture?

No "That's No Moon" in my pocket?
No Mario Brothers--or other video games--in my pocket?
No Pocket Tardis?
No Eye of Sauron in my pocket?
No usual Marvel/DC suspects in my pocket?

(Have I missed anything?)

But seriously, I do have a question:
Are we limited to just a pocket, or can we include design elements other than what's in or on the pocket?

apsketches

quality posts: 1 Private Messages apsketches

I haven't done a derby in like a year. Thought I'd come back this week. Here's my idea.

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
apsketches wrote:I haven't done a derby in like a year. Thought I'd come back this week. Here's my idea.

Man, you work fast.

sonofafish

EwingKlipspringer wrote:No Pop Culture?

You've got red on you.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

This is FUN! I'll try to participate in both

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
EwingKlipspringer wrote:No Pop Culture?

No "That's No Moon" in my pocket?
No Mario Brothers--or other video games--in my pocket?
No Pocket Tardis?
No Eye of Sauron in my pocket?
No usual Marvel/DC suspects in my pocket?

But seriously, I do have a question:
Are we limited to just a pocket, or can we include design elements other than what's in or on the pocket?

Hmm,how about...

-Multiple pockets?
-Pocket Placement?
-What is a pocket?
-Does a Hot Pocket count?
-Can it be mesh?
-Can it be a different color?

What if I submitted a Ninja Pocket shirt? The pocket is stealth...
*so it's just a black t-shirt then?
-No, the pocket is there, you just can't see it because it's ninja!
*so, it'd be like that green shirt years ago?
-No, it would be black, with an invisible pocket.
*So, yeah, the same as the green, just black instead.
-Well, I guess, if you wanna take all the wholesome ninja goodness out of it. THRILL KILL.
*Arrgh.

This conversation with myself has been brought to you by the letters Q, R, and the number green.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

Here is an idea I had that was open to change... I am thinking of calling it "First Class Pouch" Any pointers would be great!

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
shikausstan wrote:Here is an idea I had that was open to change... I am thinking of calling it "First Class Pouch" Any pointers would be great!

Cute, but it looks too dark and muddy. Can you brighten it up a bit and add some highlights and shading?

sonofafish

shikausstan wrote:Here is an idea I had that was open to change... I am thinking of calling it "First Class Pouch" Any pointers would be great!

Dang, I'm working on something similar. I think there are gonna be a lot of these.

gonenlisalih

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gonenlisalih

Just finished this. Any comments will be great!
Hope you like it ;)

omarfeliciano

gonenlisalih wrote:Just finished this. Any comments will be great!
Hope you like it ;)

It looks great!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

Here's mine thus far... Does it work or should I change anything?

dacrete

quality posts: 94 Private Messages dacrete
oakenspirit wrote:Here's mine thus far... Does it work or should I change anything?

he should be holding something in his trunk :0

oakenspirit

dacrete wrote:he should be holding something in his trunk :0

I had him holding a peanut in my initial draft but it made him look LESS like the loch ness monster... I want it to be nessie until you examine it. Maybe I'll try another round.

Thanks!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Some keep their's on their sleeve.
Heres what I have so far:

Any suggestions?

dacrete

quality posts: 94 Private Messages dacrete
oakenspirit wrote:I had him holding a peanut in my initial draft but it made him look LESS like the loch ness monster... I want it to be nessie until you examine it. Maybe I'll try another round.

Thanks!

You did accomplish that!! I was like hey that's an Elephant after a closer look. Awesome

thinksharp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thinksharp

I think someone needs to do something like a hoodie pocket, on the front/middle - not just the little chest pockets.

http://brainyfarmwife.blogspot.com

benjaminleebates

Is Waldo pop culture?

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
oakenspirit wrote:I had him holding a peanut in my initial draft but it made him look LESS like the loch ness monster... I want it to be nessie until you examine it. Maybe I'll try another round.

Thanks!

I scrolled fairly quickly and I thought it was some sort of serpent/snake creature until I read dacrete's comment, then I went back. Oh, wow, it's an elephant! That was cool. But now knowing it's an elephant, I have to suggest that you "fix" the ear (if you have time before submission). Elephants don't have round ears. I like this design!

07/11/14

omarfeliciano

benjaminleebates wrote:Is Waldo pop culture?

I believe it is...

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Thanks!

I was like "Why does Nessie have that tail thing sticking out of... Oh!"

benjaminleebates

omarfeliciano wrote:I believe it is...

My idea would ROCK, even my wife likes it! Maybe I'll hang on to it for a daily...

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita
orabbit wrote:I was like "Why does Nessie have that tail thing sticking out of... Oh!"

hahaha...that was my thought process as well.

oakenspirit

caramelarrow wrote:I scrolled fairly quickly and I thought it was some sort of serpent/snake creature until I read dacrete's comment, then I went back. Oh, wow, it's an elephant! That was cool. But now knowing it's an elephant, I have to suggest that you "fix" the ear (if you have time before submission). Elephants don't have round ears. I like this design!

ThANKS!

As for a change, Yeah, no time if I want it at noon- I see what you mean though... I think it still works as is since that's the back part of the ear. Besides, if Dumbo can have round ears, so can Elssie...

omarfeliciano

benjaminleebates wrote:My idea would ROCK, even my wife likes it! Maybe I'll hang on to it for a daily...

Now I'm intrigued

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
oakenspirit wrote: ThANKS!

As for a change, Yeah, no time if I want it at noon- I see what you mean though... I think it still works as is since that's the back part of the ear. Besides, if Dumbo can have round ears, so can Elssie...

True about Dumbo/Elssie and the ears. Either way, it's awesome to have an elephant in your pocket!!

07/11/14

abbyftbll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abbyftbll

good luck!

caspertheghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caspertheghost

Interesting how this derby unleashed a lot of sloths...

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

what the heck happened??? yesterday the fog had a lot of really good designs. i wake up this morning and see it full of cute, chibi, ramyb clone crap!! i hope this don't mean that the cute crap is making a comeback!! im just so sick of those stupid lil foxes, rabbits, kitty cats, and happy lil turtles.

markymark77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages markymark77
apsketches wrote:I haven't done a derby in like a year. Thought I'd come back this week. Here's my idea.

Love the nibbled-on pencil; very authentic!

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

wish it said "Hello I'm" instead of "Trust me I'm"

bluefireiscool

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluefireiscool

Pocket full of zen... so legit

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

pockets, pockets pockets
thanks to the many artists offering non-black shirts and such colorful, wonderfully drawn designs!

elizabethsamples

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elizabethsamples

*squeal so many cute ones!!! I voted on quite a few. Please at least print the Zombie pocket I want it for Halloween. Please Please Please WOOT!!!