WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Knowing Math

Speed to First Woot:
2m 10.441s
First Sucker:
richinhouston
Last Wooter to Woot:
xdarkkyx
Last Purchase:
9 hours ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 37% of Shirt Woots
Top 27% of all Woots
Woots Sold:
1906

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 94% second woot
  • 6% < 10 woots
  • 0% < 25 woots
  • 0% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 8% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 9% one year old
  • 82% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 94% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
5%
2%
1%
1%
2%
4%
5%
7%
8%
7%
5%
4%
5%
4%
4%
4%
3%
4%
4%
4%
4%
5%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Percentage of Sales Per Day

3%
2%
4%
81%
4%
2%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2693 Private Messages lichme

Battle X 0.5 = Knowing also

lordbowen


quality posts: 212 Private Messages lordbowen

Fishbiscuit has done it again! Love the literal take.

lonelypond


quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond

First had to do the math, then had to look it up. But I still like the darn thing.

djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx

Methinks this formula is incorrect. While it is true that knowing is half the battle, the formula should be trying to find for X, where X is the other half of the battle. Maybe something like X = Knowing/Battle? Or is it X = Battle/Knowing? I don't know. But I am pretty sure that knowing times knowing DOES NOT equal battle. I think it is fighting. Fighting is part of a battle. At least half of it. Unless we include other possible fractions, like weapons and supplies. Then it could be that knowing is half the battle, while supplies is 10% and actual fighting is 40%. Hmmm... something to ponder... Cheerz!

thumperchick


quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

So, knowing G.I. Joe is half the battle?
Is the other half knowing Cobra?

marlinotk


quality posts: 1 Private Messages marlinotk

Okay, doesn't knowing/knowing = 1? If so, Woot math says that Battle = 1, which means knowing = .5.

Coincidentally, that proves lichme's theory correct.


Woot, send me a free shirt please, thank you. lol

kimcheesan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimcheesan

Methinks you didn't grow up watching the Joe because the Joe wasn't as convoluted as you're making it. The equation is correct as is. Moreover, there is no reason for the formula to try to find for X where X is the other half of the battle (as you say), unless you didn't grow up watching the Joe--because those who Joe'ed are already in the know about the other half of which you know not.

djdanx wrote:Methinks this formula is incorrect. While it is true that knowing is half the battle, the formula should be trying to find for X, where X is the other half of the battle. Maybe something like X = Knowing/Battle? Or is it X = Battle/Knowing? I don't know. But I am pretty sure that knowing times knowing DOES NOT equal battle. I think it is fighting. Fighting is part of a battle. At least half of it. Unless we include other possible fractions, like weapons and supplies. Then it could be that knowing is half the battle, while supplies is 10% and actual fighting is 40%. Hmmm... something to ponder... Cheerz!



kimcheesan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimcheesan

Crap....forgot to add, in for one!!! Go Joe!

kimcheesan wrote:Methinks you didn't grow up watching the Joe because the Joe wasn't as convoluted as you're making it. The equation is correct as is. Moreover, there is no reason for the formula to try to find for X where X is the other half of the battle (as you say), unless you didn't grow up watching the Joe--because those who Joe'ed are already in the know about the other half of which you know not.



djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx
kimcheesan wrote:Methinks you didn't grow up watching the Joe because the Joe wasn't as convoluted as you're making it. The equation is correct as is. Moreover, there is no reason for the formula to try to find for X where X is the other half of the battle (as you say), unless you didn't grow up watching the Joe--because those who Joe'ed are already in the know about the other half of which you know not.



Uh oh, looks like I might have to explain what "facetious" means. At any rate, I did watch "the Joe" on occasion, but do not have the brain cells left to remember much other than the basics. OK, smartypants, what is the other half? And don't say lasers.

djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx

PS The formula is still wrong. So there!

safyrejet


quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Knowing is half the battle. ahaha. clever. Except I've found that at least 90% of the battle is knowing where and how to look it up. You can only know so much off the top of your head and we all know that at least 80% of what you know off the top of your head are song lyrics and really no matter how catchy what good are those (Except those Animaniacs songs for all the state capitals and such, those are useful). Wait, what does any of this have to do with GIJoe?

djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx

Oh, never mind. I found it...



wellarmedsheep


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wellarmedsheep

Why would anyone buy this knowing that they'd have tell people, "Yes, I know the math is wrong."

Turned a buy into a pass.

djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx
safyrejet wrote:Knowing is half the battle. ahaha. clever. Except I've found that at least 90% of the battle is knowing where and how to look it up. You can only know so much off the top of your head and we all know that at least 80% of what you know off the top of your head are song lyrics and really no matter how catchy what good are those (Except those Animaniacs songs for all the state capitals and such, those are useful). Wait, what does any of this have to do with GIJoe?



WAIT A MINUTE HERE!!! So you're saying that 90% of knowing the 50% of the battle is Google? And the other half of the battle is song lyrics? OK, seems legit...

EDIT: added video link for safyrejet:

djdanx


quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdanx
wellarmedsheep wrote:Why would anyone buy this knowing that they'd have tell people, "Yes, I know the math is wrong."

Turned a buy into a pass.



Because it references GI Joe.

And because it is kinda funny.

And it is a geek test.

And a conversation starter.

There you go. At least three good reasons to buy!

darthbob14


quality posts: 5 Private Messages darthbob14

False. Knowing is the entire battle.


This includes knowing when to fire and when to duck.

"Finally, an excuse to nuke France!"

countryjustice


quality posts: 1 Private Messages countryjustice

The other half of the battle is pork chop sandwiches.

tljx


quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
djdanx wrote:I don't know. But I am pretty sure that knowing times knowing DOES NOT equal battle.



As the equation is written, it would be knowing times 2 that equals battle, not knowing times knowing (or "knowing squared").

Anyway, the equation is correct as far as the reference to the Joe TV show goes.

dtran01


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dtran01

if knowing = battle / 2 , then that's equivalent to knowing = battle x (1/2)
therefore knowing = (1/2) of battle

i dont see where the math is incorrect in the original shirt

jfenchel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel
tljx wrote:As the equation is written, it would be knowing times 2 that equals battle, not knowing times knowing (or "knowing squared").

Anyway, the equation is correct as far as the reference to the Joe TV show goes.



in the writeup it's knowing squared

evillepaintball


quality posts: 0 Private Messages evillepaintball
dtran01 wrote:if knowing = battle / 2 , then that's equivalent to knowing = battle x (1/2)
therefore knowing = (1/2) of battle

i dont see where the math is incorrect in the original shirt



It isn't. Knowing is half of a battle. So half of a battle = 1 knowing.

honus87


quality posts: 3 Private Messages honus87

It is not knowing squared in the write up. It is two knowings.

Freaks.

eseses


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eseses

It said
Knowing Math
by fishbiscuit5
$12.00–$25.00

which I thought was a sneaky way of saying that it was free AND woot would send me $13 if I bought it. Because I understand the math of subtraction.

Caddywompus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Caddywompus

Math is hard, especially for Cobra Troopers. 60% of the time they dropped out of High School 100%.

ulnek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ulnek

wonder how many will actually get this. lol

lete


quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

The equation is correct (with respect to the GI Joe adage). Assigning numeric values to battle and knowing is what's incorrect.

The battle is comprised of 50% knowing.

zengator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zengator

Well, if someone is a know-nothing, then
Battle = Knowing x 2, thus
Battle = 2 x 0 = 0.

Therefore:
There's nothing to fight about.

kevlar51


quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

Nice design--congrats on the print FB5!

acowinthecrowd


quality posts: 1 Private Messages acowinthecrowd

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the math argu... civilized discussion. The shirt's correct.

"Knowing is half the battle"
K(nowing) is .5B(attle)
K = .5B
K = (1/2)B
K = B/2
K = B÷2
Knowing = Battle÷2
Battle÷2 = Knowing

2nd Point: Awesome design, this is hilarious.

newsvideoguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages newsvideoguy

BTW, "The other half involves guns." I know -- I have THAT shirt...

Woot-Off lights, Screaming Monkeys, Roombas and Slingboxes...my office looks like a Woot warehouse!

rugger74


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rugger74
lichme wrote:Battle X 0.5 = Knowing also



or battle/2=knowing

Bandrik


quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

Porkchop sandwiches!

This reminds me of my very first woot purchase, ever. It was a smoke detector alarm that allowed you to record your own custom alarm message. You better believe the above classic was my alarm.

Thanks for the many memories (and lost pocket change), woot!

crshort


quality posts: 3 Private Messages crshort

I think woot trolled us all into doing meaningless math functions to prove or disprove this equation.

Next, they'll give us a bustling but perfectly normal city street shot and say "when you see it..."

LurkingGrue


quality posts: 1 Private Messages LurkingGrue
acowinthecrowd wrote:Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the math argu... civilized discussion. The shirt's correct.

"Knowing is half the battle"
K(nowing) is .5B(attle)
K = .5B
K = (1/2)B
K = B/2
K = B÷2
Knowing = Battle÷2
Battle÷2 = Knowing



If this is correct:

K = .5B

Then this appears to be implied:

2K = B

This doesn't seem right to me, as it doesn't take into account other factors, such as lasers. Perhaps our definition of "Battle" should be qualified:

K = Ba
R(ed lasers) = Bb
B(lue lasers) = Bc
B = Ba + Bb + Bc
B/2 = Ba & B/2 = Bb + Bc

That being said, I have no horse in this race. I've made no purchases since the switch from AA to Anvil. Also, I may be over-estimating the role of lasers; it has been a long time since I watched Joe.

EDIT: Had to correct my variables in that last part. Obviously I have way too much time on my hands.

It is pitch black.

garbyrator


quality posts: 3 Private Messages garbyrator
countryjustice wrote:The other half of the battle is pork chop sandwiches.



And that there is a quality post . . . My god did that smell good.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always Woot.

GrammarYahtzee


quality posts: 8 Private Messages GrammarYahtzee

Came here for the porkchop sandwiches. Got a double serving.

Was also hoping for a body massage, but I guess I'll just go have a vocal fry contest with your mom around dockside bars.

So glad you all could help computer!

xyon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xyon

Love the idea and general design, and the math is fine, but I am a little disappointed that it's set up as "half the battle is knowing" rather than "knowing is half the battle".

johnt007871


quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

I just want to know Who wants a Body Massage.


oo000oooooo

hilrage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hilrage

Anyone who has ever watched G.I. Joe should know that the answer is that knowing is half the battle, but the other half is blowing s#*t up.