WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

As summertime draws to a close, it's time to reflect on all fun outdoor activities we missed because we were stuck in the &%#iing office. This week we want your best workplace-inspired designs that celebrate (or denigrate) the cube farm. 

• No text-only designs

And hey, we're still accepting submissions for the renegade In-Real-Life Derby, to be judged at our Seattle party. Want to get a chance to snag $1,000 by picking your design as the daily deal? Check it out!

sonofafish

quality posts: 10 Private Messages sonofafish

Judging from the lack of chatter, either you all have amazing ideas or you're as stumped as I am.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Andy Warhol style swinglines FTW.

I'm guessing there will be a LOT of staplers.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sonofafish

Mavyn wrote:Andy Warhol style swinglines FTW.

I'm guessing there will be a LOT of staplers.

I'd hardly call that a mere guess. That's a forecast.

apsketches

quality posts: 1 Private Messages apsketches

This is my sub this week, and no staplers!

caspertheghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caspertheghost

I don't understand what this week's derby theme is about. Can anyone offer a better description on this week's theme? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

dacrete

quality posts: 94 Private Messages dacrete
apsketches wrote:This is my sub this week, and no staplers!

Love the use of the Red Solo Cup

apsketches

quality posts: 1 Private Messages apsketches
dacrete wrote:Love the use of the Red Solo Cup

Thanks! I'm gonna have 2 this week.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

I found this old concept I sketched out. The idea is being trapped in a cubicle when there's a magical world just outside. Work on it? Move on? Any ideas for how to communicate it better? I thought to make a colorless patch around the cubicle. I dunno.

wakho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wakho
orabbit wrote:I found this old concept I sketched out. The idea is being trapped in a cubicle when there's a magical world just outside. Work on it? Move on? Any ideas for how to communicate it better? I thought to make a colorless patch around the cubicle. I dunno.

My first read was more like this is his imagination inside his cubicle? Maybe confine him more? bars... chain his legs to the table? something that confines him... i dunno... it feels as if he can just get up and wonder in it to me...

instead of making areas around cubicle colorless... how about making everything else vibrant and bright while he and cubicle are monotone? Good luck!

wakho

sonofafish wrote:Judging from the lack of chatter, either you all have amazing ideas or you're as stumped as I am.

I'd love to see a DadOfaFish at the office design! ;)

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

I have never worked in an office. Everything I know about office work comes from TV and movies.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
ste7enl wrote:I have never worked in an office. Everything I know about office work comes from TV and movies.

Same boat- this has been hard for me to think on... I can't relate so I am coming up blank.

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:I found this old concept I sketched out. The idea is being trapped in a cubicle when there's a magical world just outside. Work on it? Move on? Any ideas for how to communicate it better? I thought to make a colorless patch around the cubicle. I dunno.

I like this premise- I agree, monotone the cubicle and perhaps make him more drained... as for the magic- needs more whimsy, swirls, energy. Maybe if it were a little more surreal or fantasy, it would read even more... cool man- can't wait to see where it goes.

wakho

oakenspirit wrote:Same boat- this has been hard for me to think on... I can't relate so I am coming up blank.

there are a lot of clichés to put ur own spin on for office humor... try watching a few episodes of the office or just office space for some ideas?

one of my personal favorites:

wakho

pretty cool concept, the three waiting for the bus kinda reminds me of a scene from stranger than fiction lol

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I certainly agree with the other two comments that cubicle man doesn't seem trapped enough. I Tis almost like he could get out of his chair and walk into the scene. But I differ on the scene itself. I think it is great the way it is. If you have never been stuck at a desk when the sun is out, you might not realize that nature itself is a pull, it doesn't have to be imagined any better than it is. But maybe for the impact, it does........

wakho wrote:My first read was more like this is his imagination inside his cubicle? Maybe confine him more? bars... chain his legs to the table? something that confines him... i dunno... it feels as if he can just get up and wonder in it to me...

instead of making areas around cubicle colorless... how about making everything else vibrant and bright while he and cubicle are monotone? Good luck!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

For you, and the other designers who've never worked in an office..... I DO work in a tiny cube! My walls are higher than this so I can't see "out" unless I stand up. There's a shelf above the computer screen where I keep binders, in-out trays, and my lunch bag. It's like being in a very small cage. Luckily I'm in a position where I can get up whenever I want/need and move around. Some folks in cubes must stay there unless given permission to leave. *Shudder*
Orabbit, maybe a small window?

Edit: PLEASE no pop culture. I don't need a turtle, plumber, or Dr. Who at my desk. Thanks.

07/11/14

Mavyn

Another cube rat here. I have an idea if anyone is looking for something...I know, late in the game. Sorry.

sonofafish

Mavyn wrote:Another cube rat here. I have an idea if anyone is looking for something...I know, late in the game. Sorry.

I'm good, but thanks. I'm a cube rat myself, and my job is about as artless as they come, so one of my subs is definitely gonna speak to my experience as a cube rat with artistic aspirations.

Mavyn

I don't pretend to aspire. ;) I have ideas, but lack the time and patience to develop the skills to create them. My stick figures are an insult to stick figures everywhere. And not just for their hand gestures and expressions of disdain.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

I like this idea, but the lines on the solo cup kinda jack up his mouth. Also, I think straphanging v. bus stop would be a winrar.

Good stuff, though.

oakenspirit

Mavyn wrote:Another cube rat here. I have an idea if anyone is looking for something...I know, late in the game. Sorry.

If no one has taken you up by monday, I'd love to merge our minds. I will be out of town all weekend though and can't do anything else till I get back.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Can somebody please help me with the dimensions of the thumbnail and shirt preview images? I've submitted in the past but I don't remember the size and I can't get to that page right now because the submissions aren't open yet. I have a 1400px square image, 7 inches by 7 inches at 200 dpi. What do I need to get it down to? Thanks!

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
cherylfrancis wrote:Can somebody please help me with the dimensions of the thumbnail and shirt preview images? I've submitted in the past but I don't remember the size and I can't get to that page right now because the submissions aren't open yet. I have a 1400px square image, 7 inches by 7 inches at 200 dpi. What do I need to get it down to? Thanks!

Around 250x250 pixels

cherylfrancis

shikausstan wrote:Around 250x250 pixels

Thank you... but it looks horrible! Am I not getting something? All I did was change the pixels in Image size.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
cherylfrancis wrote:Can somebody please help me with the dimensions of the thumbnail and shirt preview images? I've submitted in the past but I don't remember the size and I can't get to that page right now because the submissions aren't open yet. I have a 1400px square image, 7 inches by 7 inches at 200 dpi. What do I need to get it down to? Thanks!

Thumbnail:

240 x 240 px @ 72 dpi

ShirtComp:

602 x 602 px @ 300 dpi

orabbit

cherylfrancis wrote:Thank you... but it looks horrible! Am I not getting something? All I did was change the pixels in Image size.

Is it halftoned? If so, divide the pixels by an even number, so for you try 350 x 350 and see if that looks better.

cherylfrancis

omarfeliciano wrote:Thumbnail:

240 x 240 px @ 72 dpi

ShirtComp:

602 x 602 px @ 300 dpi

Shirt comp! I forgot what it was called. Thanks, those are larger dimensions and looks muuuuuch better.

cherylfrancis

orabbit wrote:Is it halftoned? If so, divide the pixels by an even number, so for you try 350 x 350 and see if that looks better.

Half tones! lol... not smart enough for that. That involves math.

sonofafish

omarfeliciano wrote:Thumbnail:

240 x 240 px @ 72 dpi

ShirtComp:

602 x 602 px @ 300 dpi

So I feel like a serious rookie for asking this, but why should the comp be at 300 dpi and not 72?

orabbit

Wait, didn't they change the detail to 186 x 186?

cherylfrancis

Well...crud. Guess we'll see when the derby opens. I'm not a fan of not seeing.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
orabbit wrote:Wait, didn't they change the detail to 186 x 186?

That's right. Design Detail is 186 x 186 and Shirt Comp is 602 x 602.
When you go to submit a design there's a link beside each that says 'What's this?' where you find the size requirements. I double check every now and then to ensure I'm still getting it right, especially after designing late into the night/morning.

carladiaz78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carladiaz78

How about a force field that encloses the cubicle that automatically shuts off at the end of his shift.(5:00 p.m.) ?