WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

"Autumn is our favorite season!" Is something we try tell ourselves every year. Truth be told there's a lot to like about fall: The crinkle of leaves underfoot, the smell of pecan pie, umm ... gourds? 

There's a special twist for this autumnal Derby: The winning designs will run on both shirts and pullover hoodies. Because, y'know, necks get chilly in the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. Make sure to grab the AI template or the PSD template

  • No text​
  • Design on both a tee and hoodie and show both in the preview image.
  • Tee and Hoodie designs can be unique, but they should compliment each other. We reserve the right to reject if we feel the hoodie and tee aren't related enough.
  • The max print size for an XX Hoodie is - 15.5" x 13".
  • Use one of the below color pairings:

​​Black Tee/Black PO Hoodie
Brown Tee/Brown PO Hoodie
Silver Tee/Sport Grey PO Hoodie
Asphalt Tee/Dark Heather PO Hoodie
Cranberry Tee/Maroon PO Hoodie



tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Hoodie templates should be added in a little bit.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
tgentry wrote:Hoodie templates should be added in a little bit.



This is glorious.



DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Ohhh sounds neat.

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Fun fun! Lemme at it!

sjaynedesign


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

I'm excited! And I like how the designs will be on hoodies, as well.


cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

I don't understand. If the designs are to compliment one another, does that mean two designs are required for each entry? I mean, if the same design is printed on both, that's not really complimentary in the sense of the word. If two designs are expected, will the prize be doubled? Thank you.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

cherylfrancis wrote:I don't understand. If the designs are to compliment one another, does that mean two designs are required for each entry? I mean, if the same design is printed on both, that's not really complimentary in the sense of the word. If two designs are expected, will the prize be doubled? Thank you.



It can be the same design or you can provide two different designs that work well together. The prize remains the same either way.

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
tgentry wrote:It can be the same design or you can provide two different designs that work well together. The prize remains the same either way.



so double the work, and if you don't agree that they complement each other, possible rejection. I mean, playing it safe doesn't win ballgames, but whoever wins this one will certainly have earned it.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

sonofafish wrote:so double the work, and if you don't agree that they complement each other, possible rejection. I mean, playing it safe doesn't win ballgames, but whoever wins this one will certainly have earned it.



You can always use the same design on both.

shawnwinigman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnwinigman

I have zero artistic ability, so as always I'll be sitting on the sidelines watching fun designs come out.

But if anyone can pull off an indoor/outdoor theme I know I will throw my vote over there.

Fall brings new TV shows, so you could have someone sitting watching TV with a fall scene going through the window on a tee. Then have the compliment of people (or cats since people are obsessed with them) playing outside in the leaves with a someone watching TV in a house on the hoodie.

At least...that's what I would do if I could draw more than bad stick figures.

wakho


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wakho
shawnwinigman wrote:I have zero artistic ability, so as always I'll be sitting on the sidelines watching fun designs come out.

But if anyone can pull off an indoor/outdoor theme I know I will throw my vote over there.

Fall brings new TV shows, so you could have someone sitting watching TV with a fall scene going through the window on a tee. Then have the compliment of people (or cats since people are obsessed with them) playing outside in the leaves with a someone watching TV in a house on the hoodie.

At least...that's what I would do if I could draw more than bad stick figures.



I was contemplating something along those lines but you may have illustrated something better. Thanks for sharing ur idea with the community! ;)

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Fall includes halloween stuff?

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

benjaminleebates wrote:Fall includes halloween stuff?



We have some Halloween themes coming up, so I'd save your Halloween stuff for then.

ChuckleNorris


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris
benjaminleebates wrote:Fall includes halloween stuff?



My question too. And does text include symbols such as pi?

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
tgentry wrote:You can always use the same design on both.



I wasn't complaining, just trying to get sense for the challenge. I sort of feel it's not worth it to do a single design, you'll be at something of a disadvantage among the 2-design subs. I'm just leary of kickouts that are highly subjective, particularly since it involves more work. kind of a rock and a hard place, but what's life without challenges?

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
ChuckleNorris wrote:My question too. And does text include symbols such as pi?



yeah math symbols in the past have counted as text. So pi counts as text.

ChuckleNorris


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris
JadenKale wrote:yeah math symbols in the past have counted as text. So pi counts as text.



I figured so, but wanted to make sure before I explored an option any further.

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

need some input:
cranberry or asphalt?

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
graffd02 wrote:need some input:
cranberry or asphalt?



I prefer the cranberry BUT I would probably tweak the colors a lil bit on the hoodie- looks great on the shirt but the palette could be slightly nicer with the darker colored hoodie. Rad design idea!



cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
tgentry wrote:You can always use the same design on both.



ok...thanks! I'm thinking a cool way to go about this would be to submit a scene on a hoodie, any old scene (within the theme of course) that illustrates the sense that something is about to happen...then come up with say 3 different submissions for the tshirt. My thoughts are of a person wearing the hoodie, and when they take it off, there is the tshirt with the punchline. Sort of like those books that you pick your ending. Lol...I know all 3 tees won't be printed, but it gives the voters a choice. Definitely a win win for shirt woot, and I think gives the designer a better shot at getting a print. Maybe? ...unless they are to be submitted in one entry...still not clear on that one...

eschwalm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eschwalm

I was thinking of doing a kind of graphic armor overlay design for male and female, but I'm not sure which gender to put on which item. Male on the hoodie since it's bigger, female on the t-shirt since its tighter fitting?

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

A Scooby Doo-ish villain mask would be cool.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
eschwalm wrote:I was thinking of doing a kind of graphic armor overlay design for male and female, but I'm not sure which gender to put on which item. Male on the hoodie since it's bigger, female on the t-shirt since its tighter fitting?


I do not know one single person who would walk around looking like they are wearing a suit of armor. Not one. Maybe I should get out more.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
oakenspirit wrote:I prefer the cranberry BUT I would probably tweak the colors a lil bit on the hoodie- looks great on the shirt but the palette could be slightly nicer with the darker colored hoodie. Rad design idea!



I think the more successful artists incorporate the color of the shirt into the design itself. Right now it looks like a random picture plopped on a tshirt. Not trying to be mean, just try to get some more detail in there using the background color. Always ALWAYS consider the shirt color. I prefer shirts that the colors coexist in perfect harmony...kum bi ya...blah blah blah...

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

oopsie! meant for that reply to be on the design...

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
cherylfrancis wrote:I do not know one single person who would walk around looking like they are wearing a suit of armor. Not one. Maybe I should get out more.



cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
sonofafish wrote:



well then

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
cherylfrancis wrote:well then



Yeah I was going to say, I know several people who are happy to wear real actual armor on their bodies. :P

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
bluetuba wrote:Yeah I was going to say, I know several people who are happy to wear real actual armor on their bodies. :P



In fact, I know a guy who not only wears it, but crafts it for others!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ktfergus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ktfergus

Here's a sketch of the first thing that popped into my head:


Unfortunately, the more I look at it the more I'm certain something like this has already been submitted in a previous fall derby. Anyone remember a similar design? I don't want to sub someone else's design.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
ktfergus wrote:Here's a sketch of the first thing that popped into my head:


Unfortunately, the more I look at it the more I'm certain something like this has already been submitted in a previous fall derby. Anyone remember a similar design? I don't want to sub someone else's design.



I can't think of anything I've seen other than raindrops parachuting and I THINK there was a peanuts comic ages ago with a leaf parachuting...

-keep in mind I am not really that old of a member though...

regardless, I think it could have potential.



oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

This is going to be great- I hope we have more DOUBLE DERBYS in the future- I had a blast designing images that play off of each other! Well conceived Travis and co!

On that- it says show both in the preview- Does that mean both the comp and the thumbnail? Don't wanna get rejected for something silly like that.



jessisima


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima


I'm working on this idea based on an illustration I did for my portfolio. Its called "Making New Friends", and I'd love any input about if it reads correctly. Its supposed to be the the scarecrow is making more scarecrows. Oh and I just noticed that i forgot to add the top of the pumpkin that is being gutted. I'll be adding that. Also, is it too halloweeny looking?

rwoodruff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoodruff
jessisima wrote:
I'm working on this idea based on an illustration I did for my portfolio. Its called "Making New Friends", and I'd love any input about if it reads correctly. Its supposed to be the the scarecrow is making more scarecrows. Oh and I just noticed that i forgot to add the top of the pumpkin that is being gutted. I'll be adding that. Also, is it too halloweeny looking?



I think it's really cute, but I don't know if the concept is clear. Perhaps if there were scarecrow-y clothes next to him, or a pile of straw, or just anything to suggest the "making another scarecrow" idea rather than just carving a pumpkin.

jessisima


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
rwoodruff wrote:I think it's really cute, but I don't know if the concept is clear. Perhaps if there were scarecrow-y clothes next to him, or a pile of straw, or just anything to suggest the "making another scarecrow" idea rather than just carving a pumpkin.


Yeah I have been wrestling with the idea of adding clothing. I'm having a hard time making it look natural. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the input

fablefire


quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
sonofafish wrote:



OH EM GEE. I want one (no sleeves though). There you go Woot. This week is designing for hoodies. Next week can be designing for a suit of armor.

kharmazero


quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

do we have to prepare and send 2 print ready files or will you reduce the tee file for hoodie version?

kpkelley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpkelley
rwoodruff wrote:I think it's really cute, but I don't know if the concept is clear. Perhaps if there were scarecrow-y clothes next to him, or a pile of straw, or just anything to suggest the "making another scarecrow" idea rather than just carving a pumpkin.



I was thinking perhaps a mannequin. Could even have a Tim Gunn scarecrow critiquing the work..."Make it work."

arinesart


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arinesart

I was thinking... if I need to put both designs (are different) and both tee and hoodie templates on THE SAME image, they're going to look awfuly small...