WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vote in this week's Kawaii Derby and you might win a cute-as-hell prize! (Enter by voting at least once. Multiple votes do not increase your chances)

Kawaii ain't just a Sandwich Island, it's also the Japanese word (and concept) of "Cuteness," and it pervades every nook and cranny of that place. Not that some of us stateside don't share a similar proclivity cuteness, as a stroll through certain corners of the Shirt.Woot catalog evinces. 

Crank your Illustrator tools to maximum squee this week (pro tip: make the eyes squinty and adorable) and batter us with a barrage of cuteness. WE'RE READY. HIT US AS HARD AS YOU CAN.

ↀ◡ↀ

• No crème (you like that accent?)

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Congrats on another victory, Fablefire!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

YAYAYAYAYAY! So it's a day like any other day except tomorrow it's going to be sooo much cuter!

I probably shouldn't be so happy as I tend to fail at derbies that are in my comfort zone but I'm looking forward to seeing what other people make!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I am not good at it, but will give it a shot!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Ecch. My "cute" characters usually end up looking like they took too much acid. Good luck everyone, and keep your buckets handy!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Ha- wow-

This is going to be interesting...

Haven't talked myself into buying a 3ds yet... Maybe this will be my lucky week-

One question- Does voting enter you into the drawing, or are you entered every time you vote?

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

oakenspirit wrote:Ha- wow-

Haven't talked myself into buying a 3ds yet... Maybe this will be my lucky week-

One question- Does voting enter you into the drawing, or are you entered every time you vote?

Good question - I updated the description. Voting at least once is all that counts. Multiple votes do not enter you multiple times.

lichme

quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme
oakenspirit wrote:Ha- wow-

I am guessing for the sake of not having people vote for a hundred shirts they don't like, it will be one entry per voter.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I think it's time to break out the cute ;)

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

Yes! So excited... I'm ready for this one.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Well, well. I already have a 3DS and AC:NL, but that plushie set is cute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

oakenspirit

I just threw up a little in my mouth after drawing adorable things for thirty minutes... I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WOOT!!!!

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff

No créme?

Huh?

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

Oakenspirit--you're lucky.

The two people I showed my cute drawings to threw up a lot.

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

marceepauff wrote:No créme?

Huh?

no creme-colored shirt blanks

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

the theme is cute? O_o

that's right up my ally :D

marceepauff

If anyone's willing to give feedback, this is what I've got going on so far...

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:If anyone's willing to give feedback, this is what I've got going on so far...

you have a tendency not to respond to my feedback, but what the heck.

there's a generally wootcute style that was most successfully practiced by ramyb and sekiyoku, and now most closely represented by fablefire (hence my advance congratulations). Heck, even tgentry, the current artistic director, tried his hand at it when he was a derbyer in what I think was the last kawaii derby. I recommend searching for these artist's catalogues. I'm not saying copy them, but there are certain stylistic elements they use that seem to go over well with woot voters.

marceepauff

sonofafish wrote:you have a tendency not to respond to my feedback, but what the heck.

there's a generally wootcute style that was most successfully practiced by ramyb and sekiyoku, and now most closely represented by fablefire (hence my advance congratulations). Heck, even tgentry, the current artistic director, tried his hand at it when he was a derbyer in what I think was the last kawaii derby. I recommend searching for these artist's catalogues. I'm not saying copy them, but there are certain stylistic elements they use that seem to go over well with woot voters.

I totally respond! And I appreciate it! Many times, if I don't make the suggested changes, it's because I can't.

oakenspirit

marceepauff wrote:If anyone's willing to give feedback, this is what I've got going on so far...

I think it has solid voter potential, as a hypercute GOT thing could be big but I want a little more from the style (mostly in the person)- then again, clean lines and color may fix whatever weird I'm feeling about it-

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

My wife wants me to add the word ",man" to the line he is singing...
What do you think?

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Is that Mr. XYU making suggestions again?! Gosh darn it!

I have to admit I own more shirts originating from that derby over any other. Granted, more entries from that derby got printed too, either here or at other shirt sites.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

Here's mine: The Happy Happy Puritans.
I was going for a seasonal thing--with Halloween and Thanksgiving just around the corner...

Other than the fact that they just aren't cute, and other than the fact that it would probably be rejected for displaying religious elements, does anyone have any feedback?

...I mean, other than not quitting my day job...

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
benjaminleebates wrote:My wife wants me to add the word ",man" to the line he is singing...
What do you think?

You couldn't resist the Tardis..... Lol...

orabbit

EwingKlipspringer wrote:Here's mine: The Happy Happy Puritans.
I was going for a seasonal thing--with Halloween and Thanksgiving just around the corner...

Other than the fact that they just aren't cute, and other than the fact that it would probably be rejected for displaying religious elements, does anyone have any feedback?

Other than the above, what do you do with witches?

You burn them!
Or weigh them.

oakenspirit

benjaminleebates wrote:My wife wants me to add the word ",man" to the line he is singing...
What do you think?

I think adding man makes him seem more "far out" which is cool too- no major pull one way or the other though, truthfully-

oakenspirit

EwingKlipspringer wrote:Here's mine: The Happy Happy Puritans.

I think it's rad- the cross is likely the only think thats gonna reggie you- LOVE the knot detail- I stared at it for a good while.

oakenspirit

Any thoughts on my KAWAII JACKALOPE!? ;) What color do you prefer?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on my KAWAII JACKALOPE!? ;) What color do you prefer?

Its really cute.... and if you can believe it jackalope was the way that I started going as well. I'll have to abandon THAT one O_O

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:Its really cute.... and if you can believe it jackalope was the way that I started going as well. I'll have to abandon THAT one O_O

Don't abandon! There's always room for more JACKALOPES!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
oakenspirit wrote:Don't abandon! There's always room for more JACKALOPES!

haha I suppose that's true. Plus mine is very different in theme. I think I like your's best on blue

sonofafish

oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on my KAWAII JACKALOPE!? ;) What color do you prefer?

Oh my. Your future is looking somewhat foggy from where I'm sitting. I'd go with baby/powder/sky blue. whatever it is, you know which one i mean.

orabbit

Blue or yellow for me. You've got he creepy-cute mojo working with those carrots. GL!

oakenspirit

Thanks guys! Felt so weird drawing that THING- I think I'm going blue, as you (and the wife) say.

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

I like the light blue, as well. Great design!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Here's what I'm planning on submitting tomorrow.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Color choices?

sonofafish

omarfeliciano wrote:Here's what I'm planning on submitting tomorrow.

Color choices?

Definitely blue, but if you have time, I think more watchmen in it. It's basically just him. maybe make the RV more like Nite Owl's floating ship? Anyway, looks great as is.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
omarfeliciano wrote:Here's what I'm planning on submitting tomorrow.

Color choices?

He really pops on asphalt. The contrast makes his glow seem brighter.
Either way, it's great!

ApeLad

Light blue looks nice! I like the yellow too, but I don't think people vote for yellow designs too often, for whatever reason.

ApeLad

I'm going to try another Pip design:

Vote for Pip by Ape Lad, on Flickr