lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond

The Bag Derby contestants are up on Facebook. With this and the IRL Derby voting happening there, I've been mulling over whether some portion of the Derby voting will be moved over there, perhaps a final push for the fogged designs?

Anybody up for rampant (or random) speculation? And do you vote for designs on Facebook?

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Oh no, my entry isn't in there at all! What? Why? What happened?

Sends a panicked email. T_T

EDIT: Something happened with my entry but it's supposed to be up, the elves are busy trying to fix it. Whew.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
lonelypond wrote:The Bag Derby contestants are up on Facebook. With this and the IRL Derby voting happening there, I've been mulling over whether some portion of the Derby voting will be moved over there, perhaps a final push for the fogged designs?

Anybody up for rampant (or random) speculation? And do you vote for designs on Facebook?

I loathe all things shirt.woot that happen on facebook. It's all too easy for popular artists with large facebook followings to influence the game. With the sharing and the liking and whatnot. I do, however, reserve the right to change position when and if I have a large facebook following. ;)

Nothing follows.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
taternuggets wrote:I loathe all things shirt.woot that happen on facebook. It's all too easy for popular artists with large facebook followings to influence the game. With the sharing and the liking and whatnot. I do, however, reserve the right to change position when and if I have a large facebook following. ;)

Eeesh yeah, that would be a very bad thing. Being a woot customer before you can vote is the cornerstone of the derby. That's what keeps it something of a fair fight. In a battle of -likes- between artists with tens of thousands of fans versus people with barely any facebook presence, the results would be all too predictable.

It makes good promotional sense to have a few events like the IRL derby and the bag designs competing on Facebook though. Gotta get new customers checking out the shirts. This week's voting promotion seems to have been really effective too - I hope it's reflected in the sales of the winners.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Honestly, I'd prefer a normal contest instead of a Facebook based one :S Initially I didn't plan to promote it...but when I saw the rest of the designers had promoted I felt a bit silly and I did it too. I guess shirt.woot wants to grow their fanbase at facebook

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond
wirdou wrote:Honestly, I'd prefer a normal contest instead of a Facebook based one :S ... I guess shirt.woot wants to grow their fanbase at facebook

I usually don't notice woot related Facebook stuff (which is mostly fine) as people don't post during hours I keep on the computer. Top vote for a bag is 179, followed by 158 + 155 right now, which is close to the current derby voting trends but minor league compared to this week's numbers, pumped by the 'ooh I may win something' vote and/or 'oohhh bigshinyeyes' vote, which may have triggered revisiting multiple accounts for some people.

Spiritgreen wrote:
It makes good promotional sense to have a few events like the IRL derby and the bag designs competing on Facebook though. Gotta get new customers checking out the shirts. This week's voting promotion seems to have been really effective too - I hope it's reflected in the sales of the winners.

Yep. It'll be interesting to see the three shirts that come out of it. I'm heartened by the mix of things in the current fog --although it is a bit wirdou dominated ; )

taternuggets wrote: I do, however, reserve the right to change position when and if I have a large facebook following. ;)

A serving of truth always included with the taternuggets ; )

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
lonelypond wrote:Yep. It'll be interesting to see the three shirts that come out of it. I'm heartened by the mix of things in the current fog --although it is a bit wirdou dominated ; )

You mean Wirdominated? XD Sorry I had to do that XD I didn't expect it at all, I guess bigshinyeyes are my thing then XD But you'll see: three fogged designs, 0 prints, you'll see... murphy's law is powerful...

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
lonelypond wrote:... which is close to the current derby voting trends but minor league compared to this week's numbers, pumped by the 'ooh I may win something' vote and/or 'oohhh bigshinyeyes' vote, which may have triggered revisiting multiple accounts for some people.

Free prizes are a big draw.

On the topic of likes and FB vote manipulation, it's pretty crazy to have witnessed another artist/shirt site go from <2k likes to over 113k likes in less than a year and a half, a good number of those through the promotion of free t-shirts. In that time frame, shirt.woot still hasn't hit 20k yet, up from 12 or 13k then (I think).

Could one imagine how skewed that would've been if that artist had entered?

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester
Narfcake wrote:Free prizes are a big draw.

On the topic of likes and FB vote manipulation, it's pretty crazy to have witnessed another artist/shirt site go from <2k likes to over 113k likes in less than a year and a half, a good number of those through the promotion of free t-shirts. In that time frame, shirt.woot still hasn't hit 20k yet, up from 12 or 13k then (I think).

Could one imagine how skewed that would've been if that artist had entered?

Was pretty sure I knew who you meant, but had to double check. Yup, kinda glad that particular artist didn't enter. With that kind of fanbase it would have been a landslide victory.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
bluejester wrote:Was pretty sure I knew who you meant, but had to double check. Yup, kinda glad that particular artist didn't enter. With that kind of fanbase it would have been a landslide victory.

Yeah - one FB post, and it would've been over. That said, I only recall one post before that referenced Woot, and that was to the artist's spotlight. I've never seen any links pandering, nor panda-ering, for derby entry votes.

Nonetheless, I hope this potential issue raises enough concern over future FB-hosted derbies.

ETA: 114k+ likes. Shirt.Woot still under 20k.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle
Narfcake wrote:Free prizes are a big draw.

Unfortunately, the artist (and his site) to whom you are referring doesn't run honest contests. They post a set of rules, get a lot of people to enter, ignore their own rules and then pick whoever they want to win :-/ I'd prefer a more honest site like woot who at least allows their customers to voice complaints without blocking them (although there has been some aggressive deleting before). Although, I must admit, it's impressive how big of a following that's been gained in such a short period of time

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!