WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Best way to get a dog?
  • 11.7% - Breeder 104
  • 67.7% - Shelter 604
  • 20.6% - Dog Trap 184
892 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jomarch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomarch

Rather than a shelter, i really prefer a rescue group that keeps dogs in foster care settings because then the foster family really gets to know the dog and what sort of new home is best for the dog.

bdsmonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdsmonkey

I'm all for funny polls, but really woot!? My next door neighbor has a 3-legged dog because it was caught in a dog trap in a country the eats dogs. Someone rescued the dog but it lost its leg. I know that generally "dog traps" would be so ridiculous that it would be funny, except it's not this time.

That said, SHELTER all the way!

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

For free out of a box in a Walmart parking lot. I have the best dog EVER!! I'll update you with a pic later, I promise.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

We've only gotten our dogs from breeders, but that's because we prefer very specific breeds. Never really liked mutts, and mixes are iffy.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

jimmygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmygeek

Breeder, if I'm looking for a specific type of working dog. Otherwise, rescues & shelters.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
Harui wrote:We've only gotten our dogs from breeders, but that's because we prefer very specific breeds. Never really liked mutts, and mixes are iffy.

You can still go to specific breed rescues, they have them for pretty much every breed. btw, mixes are much smarter and healthier in general.

ltomkins55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltomkins55

Good Answer. Exact reason rescue's exist.

Lyle
Volunteer
saveadane.org

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Shelter or rescue group. Breeder if I was looking for something specific, but since my dogs have all been pets, I'd rather help an animal in need rather than support someone to make more.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud
jomarch wrote:Rather than a shelter, i really prefer a rescue group that keeps dogs in foster care settings because then the foster family really gets to know the dog and what sort of new home is best for the dog.

Got my last dog from a "rescue family" I got the dog home and the souchers where the dog had been spayed were open, you could see muscle. The rescue family "had no idea" the vet said had I of not rescued her the infection would have eaten into the stomach that night and she'd of been dead in a day or two. I don't hold rescue families any higher than shelters, and rescue families aren't as likely to put a dog down if it sits there for a week. Shelter FTW!

RKett wrote:You can still go to specific breed rescues, they have them for pretty much every breed. btw, mixes are much smarter and healthier in general.

This and you save a ton of money. I am good for this option if you really want a specific breed and can't find one in a shelter.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester
Harui wrote:We've only gotten our dogs from breeders, but that's because we prefer very specific breeds. Never really liked mutts, and mixes are iffy.

I've often found it the other way around. I petsit, so see a huge variety of dogs. We must have some crappy breeders around, because they mutts win this poll. Although there's been some great purebred dogs gotten from rescues too. I always do rescue.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

I'd say...if you know of a reputable breeder that puts out top notch dogs and you have the $$, go for it. But I'm sure they are far and few between. I know a lot of people breed dogs thinking to make good money, but don't know what they are doing. For example...(ok, I love the Amish folk...most mean to do well), the Amish breed dogs just for a way to produce an income. However, they don't do the research necessary to produce a good line, so many MANY dogs have hip issues, mental issues, etc. So because people want specific breeds of dogs, they go there to buy them and the dogs end up messed up. So I stick with the rescue (even breed specific rescues) for my answer.

AdidasPhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdidasPhi

You would think, and would hope, that getting a dog from a shelter would be easy. But it isn't.

That's because shelters don't want the dog to ever come back at a shelter.