WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Want to give yourself a holiday bonus this year? Design a greeting card for our special Facebook Derby and you could festoon yourself in $250 worth of tinsel!

Submissions run until Thursday, October 10th. We'll put all acceptable submissions up on our Facebook page, let folks "like" their favorites, and pick the top cards. Then we'll sell 'em, you know, around Christmastime. 

• Design for the front of the card only 
  • Designs must be 4.25"x 5.50" (vertical) or 5.50" x 4.25" (horizontal)
  • Files should be @300dpi
  • E-mail designs to derby@woot.com with the subject "Greeting Card Contest"

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake

I'm puzzled as for the continuation of voting on FB despite community concerns about unfair advantages ...

If the goal is to expand activity there, I'm not so sure this is a good approach, still.

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin

I'm curious to know if Woot's typical derby ban on including religious elements will apply to this derby, given the religious nature of Christmas and other seasonal holidays.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Yeah, I personally dislike the facebook version of this, but I am excited about making some cards!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Are there any colour restrictions?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

PixelPants wrote:Are there any colour restrictions?

I emailed @tgentry. He'll either post or let me know and I'll update you.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

PixelPants wrote:Are there any colour restrictions?

No limitations, we're going to be printing as greeting cards only which opens up the color possibilities.

It's possible if we really like the design we could contract as a tee in which BG colors might be more of an issue, but for now I'd just focus on designing for the cards.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I would like JadenKale to submit her trinity knot/holly/thorns for a card. I would buy about a million and use them every year for the rest of my life.

Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I've always wanted to use that design as Christmas cards.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
ambergreen wrote:I would like JadenKale to submit her trinity knot/holly/thorns for a card. I would buy about a million and use them every year for the rest of my life.

Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I've always wanted to use that design as Christmas cards.

I'll see what I can do about that.

I think On the Thirteenth Day tee that Ochopika picked went up at a bad time. People aren't thinking about Christmas stuff just yet. I mean hell, halloween isn't even here!

bysooz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bysooz

I've never done a card image before. Can someone tell me if they have to be color separated and half-toned just like the shirts?
Thanks!

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
bysooz wrote:I've never done a card image before. Can someone tell me if they have to be color separated and half-toned just like the shirts?
Thanks!

I doubt it, sooz. It'll probably just be printed digitally to card stock.

Votes appreciated:

JadenKale

bysooz wrote:I've never done a card image before. Can someone tell me if they have to be color separated and half-toned just like the shirts?
Thanks!

Sooz, if the design is good enough, they may go ahead and turn it into a t-shirt, as TGentry stated. That means they'd require it to be half-toned and color separated.

His post:

tgentry wrote:No limitations, we're going to be printing as greeting cards only which opens up the color possibilities.

It's possible if we really like the design we could contract as a tee in which BG colors might be more of an issue, but for now I'd just focus on designing for the cards.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Should all of them be focused on Christmas?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I submitted to the Greeting Card Derby via email last night but it not up on facebook... did it not go through? It had a pigeon.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
jessisima wrote:I submitted to the Greeting Card Derby via email last night but it not up on facebook... did it not go through? It had a pigeon.

me too... I sent three designs and none of them have been posted I spent many hours on them!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
wirdou wrote:me too... I sent three designs and none of them have been posted I spent many hours on them!

Hmm so it isn't just me....

JadenKale

jessisima wrote:Hmm so it isn't just me....

There were a lot of us that kinda got FUBAR'D on the whole thing this time. I sent in four. Not one made it.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Do the same rules apply to the card derby? It blatantly using photos or clipart ok?