WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Shirts are always walking around on people. Nobody can focus on the art. Posters sit still for observation, which makes them superior in every way. JK, jk. But seriously, we're gonna run a bonus poster derby over on Facebook. Winners get a $250 (or a "quarter thou'" as us high-rollers call it) and $2 per print sold.

Submit your designs by Thursday, 10/17. We'll post all the accepted ones to Facebook, and people will vote for their faves with 'likes.'

Details:

• No limits in terms of colors or gradients
  • Designs should be 18" x 24", horizontal or vertical
  • Winners receive $250 and $2 for each poster sold
  • E-mail designs to derby@woot.com with the subject "Poster Derby" by 10/17

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

I take it that voting concerns aren't an issue, still?

Allowing the artists to take full advantage of the medium is nice, though. Halftones are good when screen printing; not quite as much for big posters.

marceepauff

quality posts: 17 Private Messages marceepauff

I wish there were more of a specific theme. I have a hard time designing in the void.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit

Can we enter images that we have used before in derbies... I mainly ask because I think the entry I made for this week would be a super rad poster...

bethvet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethvet

It's nice that there will be new posters, but I so NEED a poster of Le Chat dans la Boite. Will you be releasing that one at some point?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

I hate that this is happening through facebook. HATE. Stop trying to get me to your page and spread the word. I don't have a facebook acct. I don't want a facebook acct. And that excludes me from things like this.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
kylemittskus wrote:I hate that this is happening through facebook. HATE. Stop trying to get me to your page and spread the word. I don't have a facebook acct. I don't want a facebook acct. And that excludes me from things like this.

AGREED!!! Not all wooters use facebook and not all voters on facebook are wooters. Voting should be here only. Woot can put it on facebook with a link to vote here, but it shouldn't be the other way around.

07/11/14

sharonkay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sharonkay

I think they should just advertise the voting on facebook but do it here where all their loyal stalkers reside!! I have facebook but there is so much out there that I miss most of the feeds I want to see because there is so much, too much there ... but I never miss a day of going to woot's site!!

My boyfriend's wardrobe consists of 80% shirt woot, 15% think geek, and 5% other shirts ... he does not have a facebook account and never wants one. You would miss a loyal customer getting to vote ... and a lot of other people as well ...

sharonkay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sharonkay

Dear Designers ... I am wanting to decorate a living room in Doctor Who inspired decorations ... please design posters!!! Woot!

...thank you...

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Can we resubmit a design from a past derby? My Planet of the Apes design that came in 10th in the travel(I think?) derby would make a much better poster than a tee

(I see this has been asked but not answered)

oakenspirit

Hey- so making the image that size made my file HUGE- like near 100 meg...

Am I doing this wrong?
Should I just dropbox the PSD file to you or convert it to a jpeg? What are you guys doing?

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
oakenspirit wrote:Hey- so making the image that size made my file HUGE- like near 100 meg...

Am I doing this wrong?
Should I just dropbox the PSD file to you or convert it to a jpeg? What are you guys doing?

Since it's a poster with unlimited colors, you can probably flatten the whole thing (if you have a lot of layers that will drop the filesize considerably)...just make sure to save it separately.

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:Since it's a poster with unlimited colors, you can probably flatten the whole thing (if you have a lot of layers that will drop the filesize considerably)...just make sure to save it separately.

Thanks Steven- I did just that and sent a smaller jpeg with a dropbox link just in case.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

I'm not shlepping over to friendface, but I want to know what the design entries were, which ones won and where I can BUY them.

oakenspirit

lete wrote:I'm not shlepping over to friendface, but I want to know what the design entries were, which ones won and where I can BUY them.

Here's a quick and dirty screengrab of the facebook gallery for ya- ;)