WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Guys, what do you say we cut the cute for a week and indulge our seasonally affected sides with some dark, dreary, and all out terrifying designs? We're looking for stuff that celebrates the macabre, designs that'll make you say, "Wow! That's awesome AND creepy. Does that artist need a hug?" So, whatcha got?

• No Crème Tees
  • No text-only designs
  • No Mario, Zelda, or Dr. Who

ALSO! Bonus derby season continues, this time with a special Poster Derby. Voting will take place on Facebook and winners get $250 each, plus $2 for each print. More deetz here.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

This appeases me as a kinda-Halloween theme.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

hallefreakinglujah! NO CUTE!! I may get to buy a shirt this derby. For the fist time in a loooong time I'm excited about a derby! Thank you woot!

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Hell. Yes. That is all.

JoysAreJummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy

No cute?! Well Hell, I'm on board. awe yeah!!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Quick question.... will the next double take be for the normal amount of derbies or will it be for all of them since the last dt?

Nothing follows.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I love this theme, but I may not be able to enter

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

How many people are going to make designs that are actually macabre?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sonofafish

kylemittskus wrote:How many people are going to make designs that are actually macabre?

Well, at least one, I can tell you that.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1

I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
omarfeliciano wrote:I love this theme, but I may not be able to enter

I'm hoping you do. I think you could rock this.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
cdrewlow wrote:I'm hoping you do. I think you could rock this.

what kind of theme does he not rock?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tomspc wrote:hallefreakinglujah! NO CUTE!! I may get to buy a shirt this derby. For the fist time in a loooong time I'm excited about a derby! Thank you woot!

note "what do you say we cut the cute...?" is phrased in the form of a question, not as a rule. unless a staffer explicitly posts that cute is going to be prohibited, imma gonna guess cute takes on otherwise macabre idears would be allowed.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
no1 wrote:what kind of theme does he not rock?

There must be something...

omarfeliciano

I really want to... Let's see if I can manage my time tonight... Thanks for that nice comment!

no1 wrote:what kind of theme does he not rock?

What? That's nice of you to say ;)
but, I don't see myself like that...

cdrewlow wrote:There must be something...

Human bodies... I'm horrible with human bodies.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1

Lol, my brother suggested I make a "What does the fox say" shirt and title it "Music Macabre"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Not my comfort zone but I'm trying to bring something this week. I had a Bloody Mary idea but just saw it's sort of been done.

Maybe I'll go back to reading creepy stuff on Reddit for inspiration.

---

And yes Omar, you do rock all of the time. Face facts. :^)

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
omarfeliciano wrote:Human bodies... I'm horrible with human bodies.

Drawing them or disposing of them?

Nothing follows.

omarfeliciano

taternuggets wrote:Drawing them or disposing of them?

hahaha, man, I really lol with that comment... lets say, drawing them...

* Thanks Matt!

sonofafish

omarfeliciano wrote:hahaha, man, I really lol with that comment... lets say, drawing them...

* Thanks Matt!

Sounds like you just confessed that you're awesome at disposing of human bodies.

omarfeliciano

sonofafish wrote:Sounds like you just confessed that you're awesome at disposing of human bodies.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
no1 wrote:note "what do you say we cut the cute...?" is phrased in the form of a question, not as a rule. unless a staffer explicitly posts that cute is going to be prohibited, imma gonna guess cute takes on otherwise macabre idears would be allowed.

Even if the rules stated "no cute whatsoever" there are some people that will do cute anyway because of their limited skill set.

bluetuba

no1 wrote:note "what do you say we cut the cute...?" is phrased in the form of a question, not as a rule. unless a staffer explicitly posts that cute is going to be prohibited, imma gonna guess cute takes on otherwise macabre idears would be allowed.

This is absolutely true, people ignore the spirit of the theme all the time and this will be no different. There's sure to be plenty of pop culture and cute baby animals doing macabre things to each other.

The hope though, is that the theme brings out the Drakxxx's of the world and inspires them to submit awesome things.

What's Truffleshuffle been up to? Qetza? Darkside bootsboots!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

sonofafish

bluetuba wrote:This is absolutely true, people ignore the spirit of the theme all the time and this will be no different. There's sure to be plenty of pop culture and cute baby animals doing macabre things to each other.

The hope though, is that the theme brings out the Drakxxx's of the world and inspires them to submit awesome things.

What's Truffleshuffle been up to? Qetza? Darkside bootsboots!

I have to disagree that this is in any way shape or form the fault or responsibility of the artists. Voters vote for what they like and woot sets the rules. Artists have to try to navigate the space between getting votes and not being rejected, and making an investment of at least 2 hrs for a proper sub.

I agree that maybe people default to cute a little too readily, but I'm not ready to condemn them for that. Really, it's woot's job to reject if the sub is not suitable, and voters to show love for non-cute stuff. I mean, this is treading old ground that has been amply covered... cute is here to stay.

sonofafish

All that said, I will probably do something featuring this happy fellow:

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
sonofafish wrote:All that said, I will probably do something featuring this happy fellow:

That third leg worries me. But that face rocks the creep-factor!

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:That third leg worries me. But that face rocks the creep-factor!

oh man, if i had a dollar for-- nevermind.

seriously though, i think i'm not gonna go this route after all, third legs can be dicey. that, and no one probably knows who this guy is. i'm sure i'll come up with something tho. but also, thanks re: creepfactor!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

sonofafish wrote:oh man, if i had a dollar for-- nevermind.

I see wat u did there... hehe.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
marceepauff wrote:That third leg worries me. But that face rocks the creep-factor!

He has three knees.

ochopika

Staff

Anyone know if it would be wise to make a Halloween-themed design or is it too close?

Spiritgreen

ochopika wrote:Anyone know if it would be wise to make a Halloween-themed design or is it too close?

Hmm, printing 17th, 18th, 19th. That's probably still good for Halloween - although I'd aim for cool, creepy and macabre more than pumpkins and candy corn.

ochopika

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Hmm, printing 17th, 18th, 19th. That's probably still good for Halloween - although I'd aim for cool, creepy and macabre more than pumpkins and candy corn.

It's just 'cuz I was working on this:

...and I thought the skull pumpkin could be something else less Halloween-themed if needed. The raven could be painting a skull with ink or something instead of carving one from a pumpkin.

bluetuba

ochopika wrote:It's just 'cuz I was working on this:

...and I thought the skull pumpkin could be something else less Halloween-themed if needed. The raven could be painting a skull with ink or something instead of carving one from a pumpkin.

Oh that's cooooool, either of those ideas sound killer.

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic

Wow, I haven't tried a derby in a looong time, but this is a fun topic : )

Here's what I've got so far. Would love to hear what you think!!

omarfeliciano

So you know, I just finished my design and I'll be able to submit it tomorrow. Yey! Hope I don't disappoint you.

ApeLad

quality posts: 38 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got:

Pants vs zombie by Ape Lad, on Flickr

omarfeliciano

ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got:

Pants vs zombie by Ape Lad, on Flickr

hahaha very funny.

Maybe the crosshatch on the bottom would work better if it was lighter, like in the tombstone...

p0ckets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p0ckets

Will try and submit this - can anyone remind me the dimensions the submissions file and thumbnails need to be?

Spiritgreen

ochopika wrote:It's just 'cuz I was working on this:

Coolness. Either way this is strong visual.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

great sketch Ochopika :D Sonofafish I cannot stop looking at the third leg :S:S:S Apelad great design as usually, do I agree with Omarfeliciano. Do you like this?