pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
edlada wrote:Howdy. If it is any consolation, in my experience, the first week or two was the most painful, after that it is uncomfortable but not so much severe pain. They like to try to get the leg fully extended as soon as possible and boy howdy that hurts when they push it down. I don't know about your hubby, but my doctor was very generous with the pain meds, IV for the first two days and regular tablets after that and extra if I wanted although I never needed more than the time release tabs 3x a day. The up side was the post op pain was all muscle and tendon/ligament pain which to me was better than the bone on bone pain that I had constantly before the surgery. I noticed the lack of bone pain the moment the spinal anesthesia wore off. From what you said Poof Guy is very tall, I am about 6'6" and getting in and out of cars was difficult for a while and it was about 2 months before I could drive because my legs are so long and the knee only bent so much. I am pretty sure your husband will be happy with the result of the surgery soon and the PT really makes a big difference in the outcome of the operation, you know, no pain, no gain.

Yeah, he used to be 6'5" and might be again when he gets the other knee done. I was walking behind him a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how much straighter the new knee is compared to the old one. Before surgery he looked like he'd been riding horses all his life.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
pooflady wrote:Yeah, he used to be 6'5" and might be again when he gets the other knee done. I was walking behind him a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how much straighter the new knee is compared to the old one. Before surgery he looked like he'd been riding horses all his life.

When the cartilage is worn out and bone is rubbing on bone it does funny things to your gait as the body is trying desperately to avoid pain!

My dogs like me, that is important.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

edlada wrote:When the cartilage is worn out and bone is rubbing on bone it does funny things to your gait as the body is trying desperately to avoid pain!

I just hope female replacement joints are more common when I get it done.

6'6" you must have a hard time finding a house with a basement you can walk in!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I really don't want to think about all the damage I've done to my knees and hips.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
joyner wrote:Good morning everybody! Elizabeth's shoes and socks disappear. She sheds them immediately after you put them on her. Temperature doesn't seem to matter. I'm going to suggest tights. They went to church with us. By the time we got to church (maybe a 5 minute drive) no shoes or socks! She loved the nursery. There were other babies to watch. Daughter said she pushed a little boy down. All he was doing was looking at her!

LOL - she's learning young. boys are bad. ha ha ha

j/k

kdccrosby

no1 wrote:our mini-harvest from a month or two ago. ipod touch with an elbow.

(they ripened after we picked 'em.)

ooh! lots of persimmons! Do you guys just eat them plain, or use them in anything?

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:ooh! lots of persimmons! Do you guys just eat them plain, or use them in anything?

I don't believe I've ever had a persimmon. Yeah, what do you do with them?

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:ooh! lots of persimmons! Do you guys just eat them plain, or use them in anything?

I'm not sure what Orc intends to do this time, but a favorite at our site is making persimmon bread. You have to let the persimmons get really mushy though, so that when you skin them they have the consistency of snot, but the bread is amazing!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

neither of us are very skilled chefs, so we just eats them.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:I'm not sure what Orc intends to do this time, but a favorite at our site is making persimmon bread. You have to let the persimmons get really mushy though, so that when you skin them they have the consistency of snot, but the bread is amazing!

Seems like we got the kind that you could use when they are a little more firm. I peeled and ate one and really liked it! All the recipes I found were for cookies, bread and to use in salads.

so, not exactly the most useful fruit, but different and yummy!

Did you guys get the curly endive in your basket? I had never had it, found a recipe and used it. I'm determined not to waste a thing this time.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:Seems like we got the kind that you could use when they are a little more firm. I peeled and ate one and really liked it! All the recipes I found were for cookies, bread and to use in salads.

so, not exactly the most useful fruit, but different and yummy!

Did you guys get the curly endive in your basket? I had never had it, found a recipe and used it. I'm determined not to waste a thing this time.

No, we didn't, but we have before.

I hate wasting stuff too, and I get volunteer extras as well, but since Ver1 usually washes the baskets and sweeps the floor I've been letting her pick the extras and we've been getting lunchbox friendly foods.

kdccrosby

no1 wrote:neither of us are very skilled chefs, so we just eats them.

That's what I'm doing with mine too. Just plain ole eatin.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:That's what I'm doing with mine too. Just plain ole eatin.

Eatin' is good, you don't have to get fancy! We had to toss half our beets this week at the site, might be the end of those for the year.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:No, we didn't, but we have before.

I hate wasting stuff too, and I get volunteer extras as well, but since Ver1 usually washes the baskets and sweeps the floor I've been letting her pick the extras and we've been getting lunchbox friendly foods.

Yeah - I always volunteer also. It's hard work if the truck is late and you are having to hustle, but still fun. We have had major issues the past couple of months with the trucks being late. one truck driver got lost after every stop. Went the wrong direction onthe freeway and was three hours late. Then the next time the driver backed up into some mud and got stuck at the first stop. It's hard to plan your saturday when you don't know if the truck will show up. This week the driver was only 45 min late.

Edit - our beets weren't very good either. But the pears are excellent! Which makes up for the crap pears we got a while back.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Wondering if Poof will like Castle.
I'm enjoying it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Wondering if Poof will like Castle.
I'm enjoying it.

durnit. I forgot about Castle.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:Yeah - I always volunteer also. It's hard work if the truck is late and you are having to hustle, but still fun. We have had major issues the past couple of months with the trucks being late. one truck driver got lost after every stop. Went the wrong direction onthe freeway and was three hours late. Then the next time the driver backed up into some mud and got stuck at the first stop. It's hard to plan your saturday when you don't know if the truck will show up. This week the driver was only 45 min late.

Edit - our beets weren't very good either. But the pears are excellent! Which makes up for the crap pears we got a while back.

Our driver is great, he's usually about 20 mins early actually. We're almost the last stop though and the last three weeks we've been shorted one or two extras and that's disappointing.

I don't get Castle until tomorrow, but the last episode was good.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:Our driver is great, he's usually about 20 mins early actually. We're almost the last stop though and the last three weeks we've been shorted one or two extras and that's disappointing.

I don't get Castle until tomorrow, but the last episode was good.

We have had a string of new and fill-in drivers. I'm the third of 4 or 5 stops. I'm hoping for improvement. I'd like to keep the driver from this week, but I think he was temporary.

well... it's time for bed. night all!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Wondering if Poof will like Castle.
I'm enjoying it.

Agree, it was very good tonight.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:We have had a string of new and fill-in drivers. I'm the third of 4 or 5 stops. I'm hoping for improvement. I'd like to keep the driver from this week, but I think he was temporary.

well... it's time for bed. night all!

goodnight kdc, just about got all the versions wrangled that way.

pooflady

Kid just mentioned that she hasn't seen Ice in a while. I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't noticed. Anyone know anything?

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Agree, it was very good tonight.

Something to look forward to then.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Kid just mentioned that she hasn't seen Ice in a while. I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't noticed. Anyone know anything?

No, I don't have that address either.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

KtCallista

dontwantaname wrote:No, I don't have that address either.

I think he told me where he works, once, and I think I know his first name; but I don't know anything more.

I haven't been around a lot, sorry.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:No, I don't have that address either.

He emailed us grandbaby pics, didn't he?

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:He emailed us grandbaby pics, didn't he?

Good call, I found his email address. Did anyone else already send an email?

Edit: Short email sent.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:Good call, I found his email address. Did anyone else already send an email?

I just did. It took me a minute to find the email. It is his work email.

pooflady

Way to go PWAers!

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser
no1 wrote:our mini-harvest from a month or two ago. ipod touch with an elbow.

(they ripened after we picked 'em.)

Those are my favorite. I like them a lot! Dad doesn't.. He prefers the longer ones that need to be mushy before you eat them. I made the mistake of eating one that wasn't total mush. But since we are getting them for free from relatives can't really complain.

On a different note. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do for a sore neck? I am finally getting over the flu except my neck and nothing is helping. I can't sleep or even think almost it hurts so bad.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jawsuser wrote:On a different note. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do for a sore neck? I am finally getting over the flu except my neck and nothing is helping. I can't sleep or even think almost it hurts so bad.

1. massage
2. aspirin

KtCallista

no1 wrote:1. massage
2. aspirin

After that, warm compresses.

Focus the massage on the upper back and shoulders as the neck may be under too much stress initially.

Last step would be acupuncture/acupressure - which can be very effective, but if your road is still out...

edlada

dontwantaname wrote:I just hope female replacement joints are more common when I get it done.

6'6" you must have a hard time finding a house with a basement you can walk in!

No problem, most folks don't have basements here. At my height, knocking my noggin is kind of normal. You do develop a kind of sixth sense and I do duck just in time often but sometimes I get blindsided and WHAM! We have a light/fan over the stove on an island in our kitchen. It is about 2'x3' and trimmed in wood to match the cabinets. When we were building the house, the builder wanted to put it very low to the stove so the fan would pull the smoke well. I told him to raise it so I could see under it because I do most of the cooking (My wife is just about 5' tall). He was adamant about the height but I got him to raise it a bit, but not enough. When I cook, I am always avoiding the damn thing and every now and then, even though I am well aware it is there, my head gets close to the edge of it and WHAM, it's like a magnet, it just pulls my head right into it! If I ever shaved my head, it would be all scarred and lumpy from many years of contacting hard objects.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning! No frost this morning, supposed to be in the 60's.

Noisy office...I think someone is moving out of their space, and my boss will be moving in. Haven't asked, don't want to deal with the potential grumpiness.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:Morning! No frost this morning, supposed to be in the 60's.

Noisy office...I think someone is moving out of their space, and my boss will be moving in. Haven't asked, don't want to deal with the potential grumpiness.

Just wait till tomorrow. I had to scrape the ice off the car windows this morning.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Just wait till tomorrow. I had to scrape the ice off the car windows this morning.

Oh yuck. Highs in the 70's lows in the 50's here. Perfect

edlada

pooflady wrote:Just wait till tomorrow. I had to scrape the ice off the car windows this morning.

I noticed in the Erie, PA paper on line they are calling for snow this week. It was in the high 60s here today and we are at about 50 degrees north latitude. The geese are migrating so winter can't be far behind. We are right under one of the main migration routes for birds coming from Russia on their way south. It seems the birds fly west, south west until they get over Germany/France then they head pretty much due south to Southern Europe and Africa.

Mavyn

Mild temps and maybe rain during the day for the next 5 days. Had frost yesterday, though, and lows will be getting below freezing.

Guess that means I better finish trimming the hydrangeas.

pooflady

edlada wrote:I noticed in the Erie, PA paper on line they are calling for snow this week. It was in the high 60s here today and we are at about 50 degrees north latitude. The geese are migrating so winter can't be far behind. We are right under one of the main migration routes for birds coming from Russia on their way south. It seems the birds fly west, south west until they get over Germany/France then they head pretty much due south to Southern Europe and Africa.

They're saying rain mixed with snow for us tomorrow.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:They're saying rain mixed with snow for us tomorrow.

SNOW!?!?! Already?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Mavyn

ThunderThighs wrote:SNOW!?!?! Already?

South Dakota was already hit with a blizzard that wiped out livestock.

Colorado has been getting snow for a couple weeks in the mountains, and the lower reaches have had 2-3 inches accumulate a couple times, but it's mostly melted off within a few days.

:D Growing up in Colorado, we expected snow before Halloween. Just the norm. You designed costumes that could be worn over jackets and boots!