WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

"​If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
- Sir Isaac Newton 

"Everybody run! Giants!!!" 
- The crowd Newton was addressing 

Where would we be without the great scientists of history? Certainly not reading this on a freakin' electrical wonder-machine, that's for sure. And half of us probably would have died at childbirth. Well that got dark ... 

This week we want your graphical odes to the great minds of history. There are the Darwins, Einsteins, and Edisons, of course, but let's not forget about the Brahes, Mendels, and Browns. Have fun (and watch out for giants)!

• No crème tees,
  • No text-only tees​​

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury

Nikola Tesla's gonna get beaten into the ground on this one, I reckon. I'll have to find some other unsung genius. Rosalind Franklin, maybe.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Tesla. Schrodinger (w/CATS!). Walter White. Doc Brown.

This is what I foresee in this Derby's future...

And now I'm off to start working on my Schrodinger's Delorian design.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit

This theme excites me. ;)

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

So this derby can include , Both historical and fictional scientists? From the write up I thought it was strictly historical but I guess the theme is " scientists" and not " historical scientists"

-

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
tjschaeffer wrote:... Schrodinger (w/CATS!)...

I'm trying to think if there has ever been a derby in which there were zero cat entries.

(Disclaimer: Am a dog owner with 45+ catshirt designs from 5 different shirt sites; 4 of those designs are Schrödinger's Cat related.)

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Narfcake wrote:I'm trying to think if there has ever been a derby in which there were zero cat entries.

Our cat entry for tomorrow is almost ready to go. lol.

Nothing follows.

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
taternuggets wrote:Our cat entry for tomorrow is almost ready to go. lol.

Yay!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
taternuggets wrote:Our cat entry for tomorrow is almost ready to go. lol.

If this cat is not coming out of a Tardis, I won't vote for it... lol

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Hmm, I have been working on a fictional scientist thing, I hope that's ok. The theme preview made it seem ok, thought the write-up seems more focused on real life. I can promise no Doctor Who or Breaking Bad, though.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
omarfeliciano wrote:If this cat is not coming out of a Tardis, I won't vote for it... lol

I tried a tardis once and have felt guilty ever since as I have never seen the show. Felt wrong.

Nothing follows.

dizzydava

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dizzydava

Pleeeeease please please, someone choose Bob Bakker!!

checkersvoncheckington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages checkersvoncheckington

I think I have a really cool idea, but I have never done graphic design. Are there any rules against drawing and scanning my design? I've looked through all the rules I could find and didn't see anything about this. :/

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 100 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Too bad there is no glow in the dark, someone could submit the Curie's glowing with success.

I don't know.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
checkersvoncheckington wrote:I think I have a really cool idea, but I have never done graphic design. Are there any rules against drawing and scanning my design? I've looked through all the rules I could find and didn't see anything about this. :/

You can draw and scan, but you'll need to then edit that to comply with the color limitations. 6 spot colors, minimum dot size, etc. This will need to be put on a tee mockup to show where the design will be printed. The tee mockups can be downloaded from woot.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
checkersvoncheckington wrote:I think I have a really cool idea, but I have never done graphic design. Are there any rules against drawing and scanning my design? I've looked through all the rules I could find and didn't see anything about this. :/

None whatsoever, but your art still has to conform to the 6 color limit and you still have to show it on a shirt template. Make sure the shirt template uses a color that they can print on and stays within the bounds of the printable area.

oakenspirit

That's fine as long as you conform to the color limitations and post it on a template according to the rules.
I do a good number of scanned drawings (especially when I have a busy day and don't have time to sit in front of my computer but can draw at work)

If you have photoshop, THRESHOLD is your friend when dealing with drawings...

oakenspirit

sonofafish wrote:None whatsoever, but your art still has to conform to the 6 color limit and you still have to show it on a shirt template. Make sure the shirt template uses a color that they can print on and stays within the bounds of the printable area.
Mavyn wrote:You can draw and scan, but you'll need to then edit that to comply with the color limitations. 6 spot colors, minimum dot size, etc. This will need to be put on a tee mockup to show where the design will be printed. The tee mockups can be downloaded from woot.

/highfives

checkersvoncheckington

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Jeez, it's quiet around these parts today. Usually there will be at least one person looking for an opinion on their design.

Manki

tjschaeffer wrote:Jeez, it's quiet around these parts today. Usually there will be at least one person looking for an opinion on their design.

All this time I thought the theme was "science" so I was working on that. Now I had to scrap it and make a whole new one. One day I'll post sketches :-0

-

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey

It looks like people aren't keen on getting Tesla-based designs, but I've done one anyway- "Nikola Tesla riding a giant robot laser pigeon"

VonMonkey

Also, could someone remind me what size the preview images need to be? I can't remember, and the old submission files I've got on my computer don't all seem to be the same

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
VonMonkey wrote:Also, could someone remind me what size the preview images need to be? I can't remember, and the old submission files I've got on my computer don't all seem to be the same

602x602 and 186x186 I believe

VonMonkey

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
VonMonkey wrote:It looks like people aren't keen on getting Tesla-based designs, but I've done one anyway- "Nikola Tesla riding a giant robot laser pigeon"

I think that's awesome, and I like Tesla despite his meme status. ;)

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

brostephhhx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brostephhhx

I need brainstorming help. I need an alternate character for my design because I know Dexter is a copyright issue and will be rejected. I'd like to keep the general chalk board periodic table pick up line idea but need someone to replace Dexter with. I thought maybe a cute Einstein or a Dexter's lab style Einstein because he's the most known but I'm not sure if that makes sense because Einstein was a physicist.

checkersvoncheckington

Are there any graphic designers that can't think of an idea? I have an idea that is extremely different from anything in the derby so far, and I'd love to have it on a shirt, but my graphic design skills are lacking. I'm interested in collaborating. Anyone? PM me.
[MOD EDIT] I removed your personal info, please use PM, and provide your personal info there if that's what you'd like to do.

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign
Manki wrote:All this time I thought the theme was "science" so I was working on that. Now I had to scrap it and make a whole new one. One day I'll post sketches :-0

I feel your pain. I did the same thing. :/

Manki

Oh sj ! It looks like its not so strict. I submited my first idea now. Maybe you can too.

-

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Late entry - busy week. Here it is!