WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

A recent poll found that America is more divided than ever. When it comes to politics and beliefs, there doesn't seem to be much of anything we all agree on. Except one thing: Food. All of us, from the coasts to the plains, in red states and blue states, of every religion and race -- we all love our foodstuffs. 

To celebrate the one remaining cultural thread that holds us all together, winning designs on this week's Derby will be printed on both shirts and aprons. That means there are a few extra rules to keep in mind: 

• No text-only designs
  • Design must be on Red, Kelly Green/Dark Green, Navy, Royal Blue, White, or Black.
  • Maximum print size on an apron is 8.5" x 10.5" (We'll size down larger designs, just be aware of how it will fit on the apron)
  • Artists can create a single design that works on both the tee and apron, or two separate designs that tie together in an obvious way (In the event of a double-take only the tee version will be printed)
  • Apron Template (.AI)
  • Apron Template (.PSD)

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

I like food!

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

Is it too early to say "congrats on the win!" to Wences?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
Narfcake wrote:Is it too early to say "congrats on the win!" to Wences?

When does that not apply? ;)

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
Narfcake wrote:Is it too early to say "congrats on the win!" to Wences?

Don't you mean Walmazan? He's had two in the fog consistently for weeks. Now if Ramyb ever returns, they'll take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd each week...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
mapinto wrote:Don't you mean Walmazan?

isn't "wences" the "w" in "walmazan"?

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

There should've been a no "haz cheezburger" rule this go 'round.

Narfcake

mapinto wrote:Don't you mean Walmazan? He's had two in the fog consistently for weeks. Now if Ramyb ever returns, they'll take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd each week...

As no1 said, the W in Walmazan is Wences(lao), his first name ... and anthropomorphic food is his specialty.

Between med school and running a business, Ramy probably won't be derbying for quite a while, if ever, again. Woot's bigger ouch, actually; besides the additional site visits (ad revenue) due to the fans, critics, arguments and controversy, he's brought in over $4-million in revenues.

marceepauff

I had worked up this design for the 80s derby but didn't enter it; thinking about trying it out for this one...

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

So, . . . this means edible shirts next week?

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris

This is what I have so far. Any suggestions?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

So I started this concept called "Malicious Mushrooms"....but I'm not sure if its working well. They would probably have a bit more mischievous faces. Any feedback on the sketch is appreciated.

oakenspirit

ChuckleNorris wrote:

This is what I have so far. Any suggestions?

Very cute- Since it can be two seperate designs, it would be really cool if the apron was as is, but the shirt was the pumpkin with the hole (in that shape) cut out... ;)

jessisima

oakenspirit wrote:Very cute- Since it can be two seperate designs, it would be really cool if the apron was as is, but the shirt was the pumpkin with the hole (in that shape) cut out... ;)

I second that idea. I think it would really take the design to the next level

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:So I started this concept called "Malicious Mushrooms"....but I'm not sure if its working well. They would probably have a bit more mischievous faces. Any feedback on the sketch is appreciated.

I like the layout and the idea- maybe have some creepier purple mushrooms hiding on there- like the poisoned mario mushroom color-

jessisima

oakenspirit wrote:I like the layout and the idea- maybe have some creepier purple mushrooms hiding on there- like the poisoned mario mushroom color-

Yeah, i have another idea I am working on now, but if I come back to this one I will take your suggestion for sure. Thanks

ChuckleNorris

oakenspirit wrote:Very cute- Since it can be two seperate designs, it would be really cool if the apron was as is, but the shirt was the pumpkin with the hole (in that shape) cut out... ;)

Good idea. I'll try and experiment with that it I have some extra time this weekend. The only issue would be if it were placed in a double-take, then the two-part gag would be lost.

Narfcake

ChuckleNorris wrote:Good idea. I'll try and experiment with that it I have some extra time this weekend. The only issue would be if it were placed in a double-take, then the two-part gag would be lost.

Aim for this derby only - the next DT is 13 weeks away, and pumpkin probably won't be so relevant by then ...

ChuckleNorris

Narfcake wrote:Aim for this derby only - the next DT is 13 weeks away, and pumpkin probably won't be so relevant by then ...

Ah, good point

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

I'm thinking about submitting this: "Popped Tart."

Too violent?
Too soon after [name of most recent shooting]?
Too Gangsta Pastry?

Narfcake

oakenspirit wrote:... like the poisoned mario mushroom color-

As Wooters these days tend to gravitate towards pop-culture influenced designs ...

Jessie, you're going to have to work Mario into your mushrooms if it's votes you're after.

Narfcake

EwingKlipspringer wrote:I'm thinking about submitting this: "Popped Tart."

Too violent?

Given how overly sensitive folks have become, I would have to say yes.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
ste7enl wrote:

I have never heard of breakfast pie. Must Google.

ste7enl

ambergreen wrote:I have never heard of breakfast pie. Must Google.

mine is exaggerated to highlight the egg, but it's definitely a thing

manhandsha

quality posts: 32 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

ste7enl wrote:

I appreciate the 'cutie pie'. So sweet of you to put me on your shirt!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ste7enl

manhandsha wrote:I appreciate the 'cutie pie'. So sweet of you to put me on your shirt!

No problemo, cutie.

jessisima

Ok so I ditched the mushrooms (for now) and I am working on this two part submission called Poisonberry Pie. Its obviously inspired by halloween, but I hope other people enjoy creepy humor all year long like I do. I envision the pie as the shirt, and the ingredients as the apron. The ingredients are still very sketchy, but you get the idea. Suggestions?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
marceepauff wrote:I had worked up this design for the 80s derby but didn't enter it; thinking about trying it out for this one...

Go Ed!

I love this, but I suspect there are a lot of people who won't get it.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
Mavyn wrote:Go Ed!

I love this, but I suspect there are a lot of people who won't get it.

I think you should change it from "Chicago's Best", to "The Sausage King of Chicago", or "King of Chicago", or something.

kevlar51

dirtdirt wrote:I think you should change it from "Chicago's Best", to "The Sausage King of Chicago", or "King of Chicago", or something.

"The Sausage King of Chicago" --seconded!

marceepauff

Thanks for the advice guys, will do. I'm also working on this

Suggestions welcome here too.

As a side note, I also agree on the two separate pumpkin pie designs; excellent idea!

wootasticwoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootasticwoots

An idea of mine.
"How do you say it?"

I'd appreciate your votes.
Thanks.

wootasticwoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootasticwoots

There we go.

I'd appreciate your votes.
Thanks.

kevlar51

marceepauff wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, will do. I'm also working on this

Suggestions welcome here too.

Give "Guy" spiked blond hair and sunglasses.

oakenspirit

kevlar51 wrote:Give "Guy" spiked blond hair and sunglasses.

HA! Yes.

ste7enl

looks like I need to make anthropomorphic food if I want to stand a chance in this derby

marceepauff

oakenspirit wrote:HA! Yes.

Ooh, I didn't see this...
As in Guy Fieri?

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

I have to sit out of this one. I am too busy this week.

I love that people posted their sketches! I like when woot has that sense of community. Good job guys and Good Luck!

-

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

dear gawd why is woot derbies plagued with cute crap all the damn time?!?! not to mention mashed up pop culture as well

looks like yet another week of no buying shirts. B^(