73%
6%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lonelypond

quality posts: 460 Private Messages lonelypond

Shirtwooters! do love their periodic tables. And yes, I do want to look up the ones I don't recognize at first read.

Like Poe? Of course you do, you're here ; ) Try my new mystery novel:

sharayapearson94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharayapearson94

I would absolutely love this as a giant poster.

massha10

quality posts: 68 Private Messages massha10

I would love a poster too! I'd put it in my office.

However, what I am REALLy waiting for is a histogram of distribution of statisticians!

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

I only 'got' one of the jokes in the write up. I don't think I get to sit at this table.

lordbowen

quality posts: 306 Private Messages lordbowen

I feel smarter already.

theco2

quality posts: 89 Private Messages theco2

I'm amazed at how many names I do recognize.

I never really thought about where the name came from, but we have a Euclid Ave. After doing a little research, I find Euclid of Alexandria was the Father of Geometry.

theco2

And I agree; this would be much more appropriate on a large poster. I can see people wanting to stop and read my shirt.

jcwong10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcwong10

Sigh. Everywhere I go periodic tables are out of date.

Missing: Mt(109), Ds(110), Rg(111), Cn(112), Fl(114), Lv(116)

Unlike ununtrium(113), some of these are even named after people.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

Where is sheldonium and sheldon's name? since he just discovered that element.

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

I love a clever alternate periodic table design as much as the next nerd, but I really don't know why so many of these designs print on t-shirts. These are really bad designs for t-shirts. Far too busy and they print relatively small on the shirt "canvas" so they're hard to read.

Even for guys, who lack that awkwardness of people staring at their chest region, I think these sort of small text busy designs make poor shirts. Woot should round up their periodic table designs and do posters.

Still bravo to the artist for matching up the table with the scientist's names so well. It is a great design.

cjfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjfred

I'm very sad... Though I've seen a bunch of Periodic Table of Something-or-other shirts before, this is probably the coolest. Or it would be, if it didn't misspell some easy ones like Celsius (Celcius) or Orsted (Osrted). In the immortal words of Mrs. Puff, "Why, Spongebob... WHY?" If I wore a shirt with blatantly misspelled scientists on it, I would be shamed in front of my colleagues - or at least the ones who are geeky enough to notice. I learned that one when I bought the 2008 "leap year" shirt that calculated the number of days in a year at 365.25 when it really rounds to 365.24.

Lance19

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Lance19

Boy, this is nerdy even by Woot! standards!

bplimley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bplimley

Nice job on a lot of lesser-known scientists! I'll have to look up half of them...

Unfortunately I see a couple of typos... "\Osrted" instead of "\Orsted", and "Medeleev" instead of "Mendeleev". I was thinking about getting it, but the typos bother me too much as a detail-oriented guy.

greyfade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greyfade

This would make a fantastic wall scroll.

Not so much a t-shirt, but a wall scroll? Heck yeah.

-- greyfade

BIGELLOW

quality posts: 12 Private Messages BIGELLOW
cjfred wrote:I learned that one when I bought the 2008 "leap year" shirt that calculated the number of days in a year at 365.25 when it really rounds to 365.24.

That depends on what you're basing the measurement on. An Anomalistic Year and the Sidereal Year in the year 2000 would both round to 365.26 days. A Calendar Year and a Tropical Year in recent times would both round to 365.24 days. If you average these, you could figure 365.25 gets you close to both worlds.

phoenix4159

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenix4159

I agree that this would make a great poster (with typos corrected, of course), but I'd also love to see it on a zip hoodie.

lastberserker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lastberserker
bplimley wrote:Nice job on a lot of lesser-known scientists! I'll have to look up half of them...

Unfortunately I see a couple of typos... "\Osrted" instead of "\Orsted", and "Medeleev" instead of "Mendeleev". I was thinking about getting it, but the typos bother me too much as a detail-oriented guy.

Misspelling Mendeleev's name on his table is double l-a-m-e. Squared.

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn
bplimley wrote:Nice job on a lot of lesser-known scientists! I'll have to look up half of them...

I'm a teacher, and I think the typos can be used to see if my students are paying attention to details. Maybe an extra-credit assignment.

That being said, gotta get Mendeleev right!

Stickybombs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stickybombs

Add Cavandish to the list

emilyb0902

quality posts: 35 Private Messages emilyb0902

Really cool idea. I agree that it's better on a poster but as a lady I'm biased that way.

That said, maybe this is a good time to remind designers about the value of proof reading by someone familiar with the subject matter. Whether it's the spelling of a scientist's name or the grammar in a foreign language, the geeks who would buy your design won't do that if you got a detail wrong.

theco2

I wonder how many people see "Heisenberg" and think it's a Breaking Bad reference.

I hate to break it to you, but Werner Heisenberg was a theoretical physicist.

benjavati

quality posts: 1 Private Messages benjavati

I didn't know Marie Curie discovered copper AND radium!!!

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight

I think there's too much writing on this. I'm not sure I want someone squinting to read the small print, I'd feel like a EULA....

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

Where are the close-up images? Usually when there is this much detail, there are close-ups of each section, so you can actually read it. I can't zoom in close enough on this one to actually read any of the names. It s too blurry.

Will the typos be fixed before it prints?

enigma9339

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigma9339

Why isn't K for Kelvin, N for Newton, and F for Fahrenheit?! We already use those in real life to stand for their scientists.

mediumsizedgiantant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mediumsizedgiantant

Zeno was not a scientist. In fact, he was the OPPOSITE of a scientist; he was a philosopher who thought that "reasoning" should always trump empirical observation. A scientist would tell you that if empirical observation contradicts your reasoning, it means you need to reevaluate your reasoning.

Meanwhile, Cm (curium) really was named for Curie, but the shirt tags it with clark-maxwell...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bnbsouthworth wrote:Where are the close-up images? Usually when there is this much detail, there are close-ups of each section, so you can actually read it. I can't zoom in close enough on this one to actually read any of the names. It s too blurry.

Will the typos be fixed before it prints?

I've alerted staff to survey and double check the typos earlier this morning. Once I hear some further info I'll let you guys know.

calyoung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calyoung

I was all over this until I realized how few biologists there were listed. As an evolutionary biologist, I just couldn't buy a shirt that left out Charles Darwin. Maybe it needs to include some future elements to cover the notable exceptions.

mesheler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mesheler
theco2 wrote:I wonder how many people see "Heisenberg" and think it's a Breaking Bad reference.

I hate to break it to you, but Werner Heisenberg was a theoretical physicist.

Actually, he considered himself a chemist and I am pretty sure that most people understood that the dude on breaking bad was in homage of the chemist...

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

ROGETRAY wrote:I've alerted staff to survey and double check the typos earlier this morning. Once I hear some further info I'll let you guys know.

It's a "buy" for me if fixed!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

So, wow! Thanks to the wooters who voted for my design, and a sincere thanks/apologies to everyone who found the errors that I somehow missed even after multiple reviews.

If I could put exactly how I feel right now into video form, it would probably look something like this:

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Lovely concept & very wearable.

silentsbd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silentsbd

How ironic is it that this shirt misspells the man who invented the periodic table itself? MeNdeleev....not Medeleev. FOOLS! >:P

acoustikarl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages acoustikarl
bnbsouthworth wrote:Where are the close-up images? Usually when there is this much detail, there are close-ups of each section, so you can actually read it. I can't zoom in close enough on this one to actually read any of the names. It s too blurry.

When I hover my mouse over the design I get a magnifying glass and when clicked it enlarges the image. Then I can move around the entire image to see the details.

acoustikarl

Einstein was mentioned in the write up but not included in the table? At least I couldn't find him.

acoustikarl

acoustikarl wrote:Einstein was mentioned in the write up but not included in the table? At least I couldn't find him.

Never mind. Just found him towards the bottom.

nutrageous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutrageous

Are you kidding me? Celcius?

If you're talking temps, maybe, but the man spelled it Celsius.

I never saw it spelled with two c's and an s until googling it just now. Even the OED has it Celsius apparently.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit

Huzzah for Science! Huzzah for second prints! Grats Tjschaeffer-

rupertgriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rupertgriffin
mediumsizedgiantant wrote:Zeno was not a scientist. In fact, he was the OPPOSITE of a scientist; he was a philosopher who thought that "reasoning" should always trump empirical observation. A scientist would tell you that if empirical observation contradicts your reasoning, it means you need to reevaluate your reasoning.

Meanwhile, Cm (curium) really was named for Curie, but the shirt tags it with clark-maxwell...

I agree with you on that weird situation with Curie, but as for Zeno...

Eh, who cares if his views were antithetical to the scientific method? There are plenty of people on this chart that weren't quite scientists, and didn't contribute anything as important as Zeno. Without Zeno, I sincerely doubt we would have found calculus -- let alone twice simultaneously (or once, and then once copied).