quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Most of the apps on my phone provide:
  • 45.9% - Information (weather, bus times, flight tracking, etc.) 375
  • 28.9% - Entertainment (games, novelty apps, etc.) 236
  • 9.9% - Interaction (social media) 81
  • 15.3% - Nothing. Because I don't have a smart phone. 125
817 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Friendship. Talking Tom always says the same thing I do, but he talks to me.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

myrddinemrys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages myrddinemrys

Does a Bit Torrent client used to download TV shows and movies count as "Information" for this poll? 'Cause that's what I picked...

cyberkop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberkop

Store/Track Information.
Gas mileage, health info, contacts, recipes,

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

I don't understand why anyone would want an electronic leash.

jfenchel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel
myrddinemrys wrote:Does a Bit Torrent client used to download TV shows and movies count as "Information" for this poll? 'Cause that's what I picked...

Because you use it for movies, I would classify it as entertainment. If you used it to download news then maybe information. For things like the Daily show, the Colbert Report, Newsroom etc., I'm not sure.

Anyways, on to my answer, which wasn't in the options. I rarely use apps for my smart phone, with the exception of maps and other apps that it kinda forces you to use. I remove all the stock ones that I can with the exception of maps, camera, files, etc. and hide the one that I most despise but can't remove using ones that I don't hate as much but still would never use. There's this thing called a browser: it doesn't require downloading anything; it generally has more features than the app corresponding to the website, especially if you request desktop page; there are more sites that don't have apps than apps that don't have sites; it doesn't hit you with annoying notifications that for some reason every app assumes you want and sometimes aren't even able to be turned off:

Oh hey, this person you don't give a burning badger on caffein about likes your facebook status;
Hey there, it's your turn in words with friends;
Yo, this person sent you a pic that you get to see for at most 10 seconds;
Hey, just fyi, this stupid game you downloaded two years ago misses you and/or has new content;
Hey, did you know it would take you 1hr and 40 min to bike home from here?(No google now, it's 1hr 20 min);
Hey again, it's 5deg celsius outside(no giblet, I'm outside, I know what temperature it is);
Hey, sorry to keep bugging you, but there's a starbucks nearby (no there are actually two and I can see them both, but thanks for the helpful tip);
Hey, just a heads up, incase you didn't notice your flight has taken off(REALLY?);
Hey, guess what, your friend likes your picture with a stupid filter;
Hey, one last thing, someone @'d you in a tweet #whoopee;

I want to be notified with sound/vibrate when I get a text or call and a silent notification for email and powder if it's over 20cm. If you notify me of a possibly life threatening situation that I may not know about I won't be too upset, but that's it.