WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Wil Wheaton Sale

Wil Wheaton has worked with us for years now, and we're celebrating this best-friendship (Right Wil? Right??) with a special sale. What's in the mystery box, you ask? We'd tell you but then it wouldn't be a mystery, would it? Suffice it to say there are worse ways to blow twenty bucks. 

Quality Posts

jon98gn

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jon98gn

So tempting, although the last random kids item was disastrous.

\

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss

Interesting how this plus "sale" makes the tshirts more expensive than the catalog sale.

diverdan79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diverdan79

In for one, here's hoping it's something good. Can I get a Wil Wheaton action figure in mine?

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

So the Mystery Box is a variant of Schrödinger's cat?

dacrete

quality posts: 153 Private Messages dacrete
zekecatz wrote:So the Mystery Box is a variant of Schrödinger's cat?

I like it!

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

NO pieces of Wil Wheaton in the Mystery Box? I'm out.

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Hoping for something autographed!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit

AGGGGGG! Just bought a mystery box-

Don't make me regret it Wesley!!!!

jon98gn

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jon98gn
oakenspirit wrote:AGGGGGG! Just bought a mystery box-

Don't make me regret it Wesley!!!!

Wheatoooooooon!!!!!!!!!

\

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 26 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

There could be anything inside the box! There could even be a boat!

Then why don't we just--

We'll take the box!! :O

Edit: Few are brave enough to lay claim to more than one box. I can't say I blame them too much. :P I also only went in for one.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3908 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I am such a sucker for mystery boxes, will buy every time. Can't wait!!

k3lit0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k3lit0

Now this won't sell out, will it? I'm going to wait until tomorrow if it's safe..

TobiasAmaranth

k3lit0 wrote:Now this won't sell out, will it? I'm going to wait until tomorrow if it's safe..

Judging from the site lag, I'd say the box will probably sell out, sooner than later. If you're talking about the other items, there's less of a chance on that.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1

"best friendship"? Sorry, woot, you're not listed under his "sites I love" here. Ouch. This is more awkward than when everyone tok a lot of Aunt Betty's dish because it looked good, but there was still heaps left on everyone's plate after the meal.

petrosrex

quality posts: 2 Private Messages petrosrex

Perhaps this post will shed some light on things...

(Schrödinger it is/isn't!)

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

I'm a sucker for things mysterious. And this one has Hwil Hwheaton's endorsement! You can trust Hwil Hwheaton. Hwil Hwheaton wouldn't let us down.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 45 Private Messages dernst_ca1

I wonder what "printed to order" means

(other than printed to order.. that is)

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

bsmith1

I hope I get one of Wheaton's mustache combs.

cindyism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cindyism

Aww shucks, I missed out on the Mystery Box!

elldee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elldee
jon98gn wrote:So tempting, although the last random kids item was disastrous.

not so much disastrous for us, as it was way too darth vaderish.

pitamuffin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pitamuffin

Okay, I get that Wil designed How We Roll, so that's part of the Wil Wheaton sale. But how are the other items part of the Wil Wheaton sale? He did not design Settler Cats. What am I missing?

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Just got the promotional email for the event. Seems kind of sadistic to list an object that's been sold out for more than 12 hours.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pitamuffin

Mavyn wrote:Just got the promotional email for the event. Seems kind of sadistic to list an object that's been sold out for more than 12 hours.

Me too, and agree with you!

vabanu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vabanu
Mavyn wrote:Just got the promotional email for the event. Seems kind of sadistic to list an object that's been sold out for more than 12 hours.

I agree. You should follow Wheaton's Law Woot....

mamapduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamapduck
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Judging from the site lag, I'd say the box will probably sell out, sooner than later. If you're talking about the other items, there's less of a chance on that.

I got here too late and they were sold out. I am officially a Sad Panda. Hope you didn't wait!

rwheeler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rwheeler

Yup, I just got the email myself and am pretty disappointed that I missed out on this.

Oh well. Hope for everyone that did get to order one that it's actually a fun purchase!

mamapduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamapduck
vabanu wrote:I agree. You should follow Wheaton's Law Woot....

Ditto. I didn't get notice until the thing was long gone. Boo!

bsmith1

pitamuffin wrote:Okay, I get that Wil designed How We Roll, so that's part of the Wil Wheaton sale. But how are the other items part of the Wil Wheaton sale? He did not design Settler Cats. What am I missing?

He likes those other designs. Wheaton approved!

lplafrance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lplafrance
mamapduck wrote:Ditto. I didn't get notice until the thing was long gone. Boo!

im pretty pissed as i just got the email as well

TobiasAmaranth

lplafrance wrote:im pretty pissed as i just got the email as well

To everyone griping: More reasons to be a midnight stalker! Or check when you wake up in the morning! :3 These specials don't happen often, but the truly dedicated woot-followers end up noticing and devouring these limited grab bag items in an instant.

The same applies to the occasional contests Woot has had. Speaking of which, did anyone ever get the 'what do these have in common' round two answer? I missed the results.

bsmith1

TobiasAmaranth wrote:To everyone griping: More reasons to be a midnight stalker! Or check when you wake up in the morning!

No doubt. This is why the stats show 91% of the people who purchased have been here longer than a year. Also, 65% of the people who bought it have bought 25 or more things from woot. Interesting, though, there were several "first purchases". 2nd accounts or just huge Wheaton fans?

pragmatist007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pragmatist007

You all should be nicer to Hwil Hwheaton.

mtn3pitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtn3pitt
dernst_ca1 wrote:I wonder what "printed to order" means

(other than printed to order.. that is)

I'm almost positive that first runs are printed in batches via screen printing so they're "higher quality". When something is "printed to order" they are digital prints instead of screen prints.

- mtn3pitt -

pitamuffin

TobiasAmaranth wrote:To everyone griping: More reasons to be a midnight stalker! Or check when you wake up in the morning! :3 These specials don't happen often, but the truly dedicated woot-followers end up noticing and devouring these limited grab bag items in an instant.

The same applies to the occasional contests Woot has had. Speaking of which, did anyone ever get the 'what do these have in common' round two answer? I missed the results.

I think the "griping" was more about the email being received long after the item sold out, not the fact that the item sold out. I don't expect a hot item to last several minutes, let alone several hours. So sending me an email several hours after that hot item sold out makes me sad.

bsmith1

pitamuffin wrote:I think the "griping" was more about the email being received long after the item sold out, not the fact that the item sold out. I don't expect a hot item to last several minutes, let alone several hours. So sending me an email several hours after that hot item sold out makes me sad.

Generally, those emails don't go out at midnight. A lot of the time they'll wait until all the plus sales are added that day (9ish?) before sending it. Pro tip: set a reminder or alarm on your phone to remind you to check at midnight central time. I don't need a reminder anymore...I swear sometimes I'll even wake myself up when it's close to midnight.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mtn3pitt wrote:I'm almost positive that first runs are printed in batches via screen printing so they're "higher quality". When something is "printed to order" they are digital prints instead of screen prints.

You are correct. However, in a Plus sale, if we get a lot of orders, they will do a screen print as it makes more sense.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

TobiasAmaranth

ThunderThighs wrote:You are correct. However, in a Plus sale, if we get a lot of orders, they will do a screen print as it makes more sense.

It's nice to finally hear some clarification on that. This explains why one of my side sale prints seemed to be digital while most are typically screen printed. (A Small of "You're not Invited (Remix), specifically. I was very disappointed in the colors of the reprint.)

I do kind of miss the days when screen prints were a guaranteed part of side sales, though. Like, that was supposed to be the advantage of it.

As it stands, I'll just need to make sure that whatever I buy gets advertised so that the quality gets upgraded to screen prints. Any idea what that threshold is? (It would also be nice if that threshold applied shirt-wide, so I'm not disadvantaged for getting a small :X)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

TobiasAmaranth wrote:It's nice to finally hear some clarification on that. This explains why one of my side sale prints seemed to be digital while most are typically screen printed. (A Small of "You're not Invited (Remix), specifically. I was very disappointed in the colors of the reprint.)

I do kind of miss the days when screen prints were a guaranteed part of side sales, though. Like, that was supposed to be the advantage of it.

As it stands, I'll just need to make sure that whatever I buy gets advertised so that the quality gets upgraded to screen prints. Any idea what that threshold is? (It would also be nice if that threshold applied shirt-wide, so I'm not disadvantaged for getting a small :X)

Here's a good explanation by the head of Shirt.Woot.

Nice thing about digital printing is that it allows us to offer all (well most) of our designs all the time. This was something wooters had been begging for.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Rhonwyn22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Rhonwyn22

We actually met Wil Wheaton at Emerald City Comicon. He was wearing a Woot shirt but not one of these. It was the DOS computer one - C:\
My son bought one of those shirts the next time it came up.