83%
5%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Brilliant Idea... I'm going to go puke now.

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond

Wouldn't want to mess with the critter that starts it all here: nice collection of teeth + claws.

bendb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bendb

Over at deals.woot they are featuring the Jurassic Park trilogy!

theco2

quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2

This makes me hungry. Thanks!

labyrinthia

quality posts: 15 Private Messages labyrinthia

This is hilarious.

lordbowen

quality posts: 252 Private Messages lordbowen

You say nugget, I say dino spaghetti-o.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Those dinobites taste good with a tar dipping sauce. That's a neat idea, Patrick.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

It was supposed to be a chicken nugget? Oh... Nope, I'm in the camp that the write-up was targeting. I don't get this one. ^_^;

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

dacrete

quality posts: 123 Private Messages dacrete

Good kids shirt.

vivbot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages vivbot

Totally thought it was one of those Grow-Your-Own! dino sponges until I clicked on the thumbnail and realized there was a chicken and everything clicked. HA! Looks like I'm adding yet another patrickspen shirt to the collection... and probably also buying dino nuggets tomorrow.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

If you are curious about the evolution of this shirt, here's a little story for you.

I have been working on a book for a few years now where two girls are stranded in outer space on a malfunctioning space shuttle. While fruitlessly searching for food in the ship's "kitchen", they start talking about their favorite foods and one of them relates a story about her geeky dad who found dinosaur chicken nuggets HILARIOUSLY IRONIC...

Being a teacher myself, I thought this idea would also make a cute shirt for kids to wear to school-

So, I designed this shirt

and this other version,
both of which were rejected by woot- That's cool- no harm, no foul- I am not sure how many people would want to wear a plate of nuggets on their chest anyway. SO- I added it to my SLUSH FOLDER of rejected art and moved on...

Well, I loved the idea so much that after some time I decided to revisit it. SO- I made THIS design,
which woot also rejected. No worries, I thought. I will simply hang on to it and try it in a relevant derby.
Well, months go by and finally, about 4 weeks ago, we are given a relevant theme: FOOD! Here's my chance, I say- If you follow the derby, as patrickspens does, you probably recognize it.

The design does pretty decently, but not well enough to win. I tried, I say. Maybe it was too weird or I didn't execute it as well as I (or someone else) could have. To the slush for 60 days till I try another site. This is the game and I am content.

Then, last week, my idea evolves yet again, into the near identical version that you see for sale here.

I'm trying not to come off as rude or whiny, and no offense is meant toward Patrick- I respect his work and actually like this version more than the one I did- but it just seems low to take a failed idea and redo it near-exactly, especially so soon after it was posted. Yes, there are endless cookie monsters and such posted on this site again and again, but no one has had the gall to submit a cookie monster with milk shot glasses.

I just put these three designs in my shop in case anyone would be interested in the originals- I know, they're not as cool as this one, but they come with the added bonus of HONOR-

lordbowen

quality posts: 252 Private Messages lordbowen

Hang in there, Oakenspirit. Your integrity will be rewarded.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I don't know whether this is convergent evolution or natural selection at work but it is a great idea. Commiserations, Oaken.

heinricp

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp

Oakenspirit,

I'd buy your first two designs for my 2 year old daughter in a heartbeat if they were available . . .

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I love'em!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

Oakenspirit - you're way too nice.

A thief is a thief is a thief.

Usually these stolen designs get rejected but Woot allows their "prized" designers to do whatever they want; steal ideas, steal art, use clip art, break the derby rules, etc, etc. So I'm not surprised that this design went to print.

Oakenspirit's design, all of them, are much better than this copy. Shame- on Woot for allowing this and shame- on Patrickspens for not having an original thought.

Lynn70123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lynn70123

I was going to order one for myself but now knowing the history behind it, I can't bring myself to do it. It is tainted with ugly. Too bad though... I like it a lot.

sigifreud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigifreud
tomspc wrote:Oakenspirit - you're way too nice.

A thief is a thief is a thief.

Usually these stolen designs get rejected but Woot allows their "prized" designers to do whatever they want; steal ideas, steal art, use clip art, break the derby rules, etc, etc. So I'm not surprised that this design went to print.

Oakenspirit's design, all of them, are much better than this copy. Shame- on Woot for allowing this and shame- on Patrickspens for not having an original thought.

^This

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
lordbowen wrote:Hang in there, Oakenspirit. Your integrity will be rewarded.

Agreed...

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Having some involvement with "the grammar thread", I'm not going to jump to any conclusions, but such issues have come up from time to time. Sometimes, there's intent behind it; sometimes, it's inadvertent.

In any case, Patrick - I know it seems like you never have a keyboard, but if you find one, please address this.

spork7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spork7

Delicious Evolution is my favorite of the bunch. Accept no imitations.

mwinkykitty

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mwinkykitty
Narfcake wrote:Having some involvement with "the grammar thread", I'm not going to jump to any conclusions, but such issues have come up from time to time. Sometimes, there's intent behind it; sometimes, it's inadvertent.

In any case, Patrick - I know it seems like you never have a keyboard, but if you find one, please address this.

Why address this when he can just stay silent while he makes money?

shanna1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shanna1981

Speaking of thieving, this has existed in a similar form since circa 2007. http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-EVOLUTION&Category_Code=QC

dacrete

quality posts: 123 Private Messages dacrete

All I have to say is let this nights winner not be on a green shirt!! Merry Christmas

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

this reminds me of the shoot first shirt that was up a couple weeks ago. There were several variations online, and it didn't seem the the "artist" did much of anything to submit it on here.

I always did like yardsales.

highvolt82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highvolt82

This makes me angry.

bagofholding

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bagofholding

This week he is ripping off Randyotter.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to first woot: 2m 23.885s
First sucker:maperez99
Last wooter to woot:dyskmaster
Last purchase:4 minutes ago

First day sales 546
First day posts 26
Votes 189

patrickspens

quality posts: 8 Private Messages patrickspens

I had a schedule conflict and sat out the "food" derby. I had not seen oakenspirit's entry in that derby, and when it was pointed out I didn't take mine down because I had not seen his. I apologized to him for stepping on his toes with such a similar design.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Wow. Just wow. I've been away for a few weeks and come back to see this? Like I said weeks ago, I love your idea, Oaken. Clearly it was a good one.
It sounds like patrickspens is sincere, but I think less established designers would catch more grief for not doing their due diligence. And let's be clear here: there is an established (if unspoken) precedent where checking recent designs is par-for-course due diligence.
Without laying blame or casting aspersions on anyone in particular, this is not cool.
ಠ_ಠ