WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The place: deep in the jungle. The year: Ummm…some time in the 20th century? A lone man must run from the demon monkeys that pursue him…or something. It's Temple Run! The archeological adventure game that's sweeping the nation's touchscreens. 

To answer your question: Yes, we do have a licensing deal with Temple Run this week, and it means we can't get sued for using intellectual property for once! We want your best TR (as the kids presumably call it) designs, and are willing to pay handsomely for them: 

First Place (picked by the Temple Run team)

• One-time payment of $2500 cash (in exchange for release of rights to royalties for future purchases)
  • Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
  • $100 in Amazon Coins
  • Some Temple Run swag

Second place (chosen by y'all)​

• One-time payment of $2000 cash (in exchange for release of rights to royalties for future purchases)
  • Kindle Fire HDX
  • Some Temple Run swag

Third place (chosen by y'all)

• One-time payment of $1500 cash (in exchange for release of rights to royalties for future purchases)
  • Kindle Fire HD
  • Some Temple Run swag

Also, any extra designs fancied by the Temple Run folks will be picked up for $500 apiece. 

What designs are we looking for? Anything that explores the world of Temple Run, those who play it, and the cultural phenomenon it sort of is. Maybe it's a movie poster featuring the game's characters, or a cute scene depicting the builders who have to construct that 1,000 mile-long stone wall, or the gruesome never-before-seen vignette when the monkey demons catch up. The possibilities are endless! Well, almost endless: 

• No other pop culture references
  • The rules and legal stuff for this Derby are different. Check the details here.
  • We will be giving Honorable Mentions but they will not appear in the next Double-Take Derby.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

How shiny! Looking forward to some fun designs.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I think Dev is working to get the updated FAQ up. One of the important call-outs is that you WON'T receive ongoing commission for these designs. It's a one-time payout (a good one I think!)

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

This is an awesome derby!

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

Will TR peeps provide us an approved (vector) logo we can use?

tgentry

Staff

marceepauff wrote:Will TR peeps provide us an approved (vector) logo we can use?

You can use whatever imagery you like from the game, but all art should be drawn by you.

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris

This sounds really awesome! Just don't think I have the artistic brilliance or the time to compete with Radscoolian, Patrickspens, Spiritgreen and the rest of that uber-talented crew this time around. There's bound to be some sweet entries this week!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Ooh, fun!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

I was going to skip this week, but this is too fun to pass up on- I'll see if I can hammer one out!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

No 'other' pop culture? Really? Aww. Sadface.

I would have loved to see some sort of reference to Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple. I miss that show.

PS: I have no clue what this Temple Run thing is. o.o

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

kpkelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpkelley
TobiasAmaranth wrote:

It's a mobile game seemingly based off the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ste7enl

TobiasAmaranth wrote:No 'other' pop culture? Really? Aww. Sadface.

I would have loved to see some sort of reference to Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple. I miss that show.

Considering people have been using pop culture to do well in derbies where they completely ignore the theme, this is a breath of fresh air for me.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
ste7enl wrote:Considering people have been using pop culture to do well in derbies where they completely ignore the theme, this is a breath of fresh air for me.

*Like*

Oh hey - Trav, do you know - are there creme tees for this one?

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
TobiasAmaranth wrote:No 'other' pop culture? Really? Aww. Sadface.

Or King Arthur and his knights running from the vicious Rabbit of Caerbannog! Run away! Run away!

tgentry

Staff

marceepauff wrote:*Like*

Oh hey - Trav, do you know - are there creme tees for this one?

Should be OK.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Glad to read there aren't other pop culture refs allowed. Otherwise we'd have 100 different designs where various Dr. Who's are running towards a tardis.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Great, I downloaded the game for "research purposes". How am I supposed to get any work done now?

oakenspirit

Here's what I'm working on- Is this EVERYONE'S first thought? Starting to worry.

Also- totem or row?

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

Atleast I am not the only one just now hearing about this game :P sounds like a fun entry but I would have to research the game to even start

ste7enl

Temple Run by StevenLefcourt, on Flickr

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

So, I haven't posted a whole lot before, but I thought I would give this one a shot. What do you think?
It still has some work to do...

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working on- Is this EVERYONE'S first thought? Starting to worry.

Also- totem or row?

very clever, cant be sure which version I prefer

oakenspirit

amugle wrote:So, I haven't posted a whole lot before, but I thought I would give this one a shot. What do you think?
It still has some work to do...

I think this has potential- Those monkeys are the best part of the game- I would CREEEEEP them out next to the cartoony guy.

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

This is great man- solid, clean look- almost summons PITFALL of old.
I can see this one doing quite well.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

This theme is really fun! Here is what I have so far. It would be on a black shirt if that wasn't clear:

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:This is great man- solid, clean look- almost summons PITFALL of old.
I can see this one doing quite well.

Thanks!

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:This theme is really fun! Here is what I have so far. It would be on a black shirt if that wasn't clear:

Nonoooononononnoooo.... Creepy!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I'm working on- Is this EVERYONE'S first thought? Starting to worry.

Also- totem or row?

Row

jessisima

oakenspirit wrote:Nonoooononononnoooo.... Creepy!

Haha awesome, thats what I was going for. Games like this make me very anxious. Those evil demon monkeys are always lurking.

ste7enl

Temple Run: Profit by StevenLefcourt, on Flickr

Just a fun, quick one after the 12 hours I spent on the first one.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
jessisima wrote:This theme is really fun! Here is what I have so far. It would be on a black shirt if that wasn't clear:

You'll need much much more 'pop'. Dark colors on a dark shirt doesn't actually work as well as you would hope / think it would looking at a computer version. Especially on the newer blanks (or with whatever other change happened..? Maybe I got digital) - Return of the Noms had darkish colors for the BG on black. The print itself was very hard to see the BG parts in most lighting.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

brostephhhx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brostephhhx

The Temple Life

brostephhhx

ste7enl wrote:

This will be in the top for sure. Great job.

texhnolyzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texhnolyzed

Also- totem or row?

Totem feels better to me. It goes well with the "totem-ish" style.

texhnolyzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texhnolyzed
brostephhhx wrote:
The Temple Life

I think it would work better with faces instead of items (like in the last image).

briancurtis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briancurtis

Working on a back of shirt design..would be better double sided..but probably not offered this derby

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Great to see a bunch of cool designs popping up already.

---

Also- totem or row?

Good one! I think sideways is more wearable and it's a better match for South American glyphs. Totems would be more North America.

ste7enl

brostephhhx wrote:This will be in the top for sure. Great job.

wow, thanks for the vote of confidence

jessisima

TobiasAmaranth wrote:You'll need much much more 'pop'. Dark colors on a dark shirt doesn't actually work as well as you would hope / think it would looking at a computer version. Especially on the newer blanks (or with whatever other change happened..? Maybe I got digital) - Return of the Noms had darkish colors for the BG on black. The print itself was very hard to see the BG parts in most lighting.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't done alot of dark on dark, so that is good to know.

brostephhhx

texhnolyzed wrote:I think it would work better with faces instead of items (like in the last image).

Thanks for your feedback. I could see where that would look more cohesive. I'll probably up the item one and continue to work on a face one.