WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I write this with a hasty and uncertain hand, for I have beheld otherworldly horrors that have shaken the very foundations of my mind. One night early last month I came upon a small New England graphic shirt Derby in the middle of the night, and though its denizens at first seemed friendly (even officious), their unnatural countenances unnerved me extremely. And lo! They were hiding an eldritch, ancient evil most foul: 

An H.P. Lovecraft inspired Derby. 

We're finally giving our favorite cosmic horror shut-in the exposure he deserves, and we want your creepiest designs. Yes, Cthulu is the most recognizable face of the Lovecraftian mythos, but let's not forget his other contributions: The Necronomicon, Miskatonic University, and the swirling mass of chaos a the center of the universe known as Azathoth.

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, Shirt.Wooters!

No Creme tees

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Q. If I have a certain design that got an HM, can I still make a revised version of it and submit it on this derby?

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
sonofafish wrote:SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

Ha- I thought of you immediately when I read the topic-

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

I honestly know very little of Lovecraftian lore. I also do not want to make the billionth Cthulu design, but I will if I have to.

marceepauff

quality posts: 18 Private Messages marceepauff

Derby shirts are supposed to appeal to the masses (O-M-G CATZ!) but Cthulhu is all the masses really know about Lovecraft. This is uber-limited. Boo.

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:Derby shirts are supposed to appeal to the masses (O-M-G CATZ!) but Cthulhu is all the masses really know about Lovecraft. This is uber-limited. Boo.

I don't see how this is more limited than Temple Run. Lovecraftiana has had nearly a century to seep into pop culture, and it has! The problem is his writing is notoriously unfit for adaptation, particularly on film, so there's more "inspired by" than "based on" out there.
Anyway, everyone will probably get to make Dr. Who shirts again next week, so don't fret. ;)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Rough sketch of an idea with Cthulhu and his Deep One worshippers.

'None can resist'

:p

marceepauff

sonofafish wrote:Anyway, everyone will probably get to make Dr. Who shirts again next week, so don't fret. ;)

Actually, they didn't say anything about no Pop Culture - so my guess is we're going to have half a dozen Doctor Cthulhu shirts anyway. And I agree that Temple Run was pretty limited too, but that was a) a subject no one has EVER touched on (Cthulhu has been DONE TO DEATH - just google search for the t-shirts already done) and b) a unique contest with the developers directly involved.

Oh well. Can't always be 80's themed, I guess. ;)

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
marceepauff wrote:so my guess is we're going to have half a dozen Doctor Cthulhu shirts anyway.

Please don't give them any ideas… My guess is we end up seeing a Cthulhu in about 90% of the entries this week.

Spiritgreen

Yeah people know Cthulhu, almost like a meme, and it's hard to know what else will resonate. You could include Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath or a bunch of Shoggoths and hope that people will recognise them but even if you've read a lot of the stories they have very different descriptions! I realized today that some of the monsters I remember, like the Hounds of Tindalos, aren't even from Lovecraft himself.

I've drawn very detailed and obscure HPL monsters in the past and it hasn't gone over great. But hey, I've also drawn a Cookie Monster Cthulhu that bombed. So what's the lesson here? (other than I should stop drawing Lovecraft shirts)

I guess it's that good ideas and good art are the best strategy. If you've got a killer Nyarlhotep idea then draw the crap out of it and post an explanation in the description. You may still get beaten by a Cat in a Tardis saying "O R'lyeh!" but chances are people will like your style. And if you just have a silly idea, like me this week, well, draw it anyway. Sometimes the idea pipe needs an uncloggin'.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I could see an illustration of the man himself, maybe all one-color, pen and ink or woodcut style, with weird elements from his stories all around him. Strange symbols, creepy tentacled creatures, nice use of shadows and negative space. Could be cool.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I might polish up this one if it would be ok.

oakenspirit

Drakxxx wrote:I might polish up this one if it would be ok.

Yeah, I think that would be ok- I was hoping this theme would drag you out of hiding!

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 100 Private Messages Thirdbase9
marceepauff wrote:Actually, they didn't say anything about no Pop Culture - so my guess is we're going to have half a dozen Doctor Cthulhu shirts anyway. And I agree that Temple Run was pretty limited too, but that was a) a subject no one has EVER touched on (Cthulhu has been DONE TO DEATH - just google search for the t-shirts already done) and b) a unique contest with the developers directly involved.

Oh well. Can't always be 80's themed, I guess. ;)

Cthulhu in a TARDIS. Cthulhu headed Daleks, Cthulhu in a bowtie and fez...

I don't know.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
tgentry wrote:I could see an illustration of the man himself, maybe all one-color, pen and ink or woodcut style, with weird elements from his stories all around him. Strange symbols, creepy tentacled creatures, nice use of shadows and negative space. Could be cool.

That had been one of my thoughts too, Travis. However, when I googled "Lovecraft shirts" I was shocked at the number of designs similar to that out there. It's going to be difficult to create a unique design. Not impossible. Just difficult.

uberchango

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uberchango
cfdunbar wrote:That had been one of my thoughts too, Travis. However, when I googled "Lovecraft shirts" I was shocked at the number of designs similar to that out there. It's going to be difficult to create a unique design. Not impossible. Just difficult.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I think, given the popularity of the theme and the -to a certain point- limited choices that we have, implementation and technique are gonna be real differentiators this time. I'm guessing we'll see similar concepts with very different styles. And that's cool...

sonofafish

Oh man, I wish I hadn't shot myself in the foot by disparaging Dr. Who shirts. There goes my Daleks vs. Yithians design...

psykosenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psykosenator

Ha! A website for Cthulu shirts is already there, did woot look before posting this derby? hehe. When will I find the time to work on this, too much going on with everything else! :p Also, I think many people know the Necronomicon even more than Cthulu, so maybe more options than you think.

http://cthulhushirts.com/

marceepauff

Drakxxx wrote:I might polish up this one if it would be ok.

That's pretty incredible.

Spiritgreen

I went ahead with mine, here it is:

I'm too festive to draw creepy this week.

Looking forward to everyone's dark artz though!

oakenspirit

Spiritgreen wrote:I went ahead with mine, here it is:

I'm too festive to draw creepy this week.

Looking forward to everyone's dark artz though!

IT'S SO HAPPY! ;)

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

Reworked an old favorite for this one. Actually, we pretty much had to recreate it from scratch as I had lost my files. Much happier with it this time. Collaboration with ignorant.

Nothing follows.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

i thought for sure with a lovecraft theme there would be very little if not no cute designs this week... but boy was i wrong!!! B^( really people?? really??

thank you draxx!! thank you soo much for not giving us yet another kitty or cupcake shirt and instead giving us a truly Lovecraft inspired design!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Entered this today:

uberchango

L3g3ndQ wrote:i thought for sure with a lovecraft theme there would be very little if not no cute designs this week... but boy was i wrong!!! B^( really people?? really??

thank you draxx!! thank you soo much for not giving us yet another kitty or cupcake shirt and instead giving us a truly Lovecraft inspired design!

Man, I'm afraid they outnumber us... even Cthulhu's a victim of cuteness these days...

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
uberchango wrote:Man, I'm afraid they outnumber us... even Cthulhu's a victim of cuteness these days...

man im glad you posted because i totally missed your entry... think it got lost in the cuteness B^( i hope you and draxx win this one!!! and thank you too!!

uberchango

L3g3ndQ wrote:man im glad you posted because i totally missed your entry... think it got lost in the cuteness B^( i hope you and draxx win this one!!! and thank you too!!

Hahahaha, good thing I posted then! Yes, I'm afraid the bright colors of the other entries kinda hid ours. I'm glad you liked it, man. And thanks for your wishes. Let's see how it goes!

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
marceepauff wrote:Derby shirts are supposed to appeal to the masses (O-M-G CATZ!) but Cthulhu is all the masses really know about Lovecraft. This is uber-limited. Boo.

Well then how about shaking it up a bit - reminding the masses what ELSE they know about HPL? I'd love to see a cozy New England Christmas scene with the Terrible Old Man, The Very Old Folk, The Haunter of the Dark, The Cats of Ulthar, Pickman's Model, The Whisperer in Darkness, maybe a few Rats in the Walls and a little Colour Out of Space?

And I'd hate to have to try drawing it myself!!!

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I really wanted a cool grim reaper design since one of the books was called "Winged Death"

I would have entered something myself but this woot was during the holidays.

psavasjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psavasjr

That'll teach me to go all intellectual with my very first submission... It only got one vote, and I'm not sayin' who's it was.

fierytresses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses
collinvh wrote:Please don't give them any ideas… My guess is we end up seeing a Cthulhu in about 90% of the entries this week.

That design was my favorite. I hope it gets 3rd place. How is 3rd decided again?