WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Access Denied

Speed to First Woot:
1m 6.111s
First Sucker:
BlackDespondency
Last Wooter to Woot:
JimmytheBeetle
Last Purchase:
3 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 31% of Shirt Woots
Top 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold:
1181

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 95% second woot
  • 5% < 10 woots
  • 0% < 25 woots
  • 0% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 14% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 12% one year old
  • 72% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

8%
4%
2%
2%
1%
2%
2%
4%
8%
7%
6%
5%
6%
5%
4%
4%
3%
3%
3%
4%
4%
4%
4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Percentage of Sales Per Day

3%
77%
7%
4%
4%
3%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


ApeLad


quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Newman!

jessisima


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

This screen was irritating, but if I recall correctly he gets eaten by a Dilophosaurus.... the world has a way of evening out.

lordbowen


quality posts: 213 Private Messages lordbowen

Hello, Newman.

zekecatz


quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Owww, my ears! I made the mistake of clicking on the links.

trav2100


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trav2100

How do hoodies sell out? can't they just keep making more??

tk6918


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tk6918

I'm so gonna wear this while driving my Jurassic Jeep.

bakntime


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bakntime

So I don't want to start a big "thing" here, but can someone honestly explain how shirts like this aren't copyright infringement? It's not a parody or a satire - it compiles a number of different elements of the film (a direct quote from the movie, the font, the colors, a character silhouette, portions of the film's logo) into a single design.

I'm not concerned for Spielberg's wallet on this one, I just actually want to know why it's legal.

I ain't signing anything! What? It's not that kind of signature? Oh. So that's what it is? Oh. I'm still not interested.

manhandsha


quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

trav2100 wrote:How do hoodies sell out? can't they just keep making more??



It looks like those hoodie sizes are the only blanks we had available for now. Sorry :/

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

tk6918


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tk6918
bakntime wrote:So I don't want to star a big "thing" here, but can someone honestly explain how shirts like this aren't copyright infringement? It's not a parody or a satire - it compiles a number of different elements of the film (a direct quote from the movie, the font, the colors, a character silhouette, portions of the film's logo) into a single design.

I'm not concerned for Spielberg's wallet on this one, I just actually want to know why it's legal.



The font is not copyrighted. Neither is the saying. Jurassic Park is implied of course. I still think this is considered comedy/parody.

bakntime


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bakntime
tk6918 wrote:The font is not copyrighted. Neither is the saying. Jurassic Park is implied of course. I still think this is considered comedy/parody.



The saying, the font, etc might not be copyrighted, but their use together is absolutely intellectual property. (Fonts can actually be copyrighted, but I'm not sure about that one - don't know who designed it and/or if it is commercially available). And just because a quote itself isn't intellectual property, its use in conjunction with other elements that are clearly from the film implies derivation.

You see fan art and fan fiction in this vein all the time - but it's only allowed if you don't actually sell it or profit off it. Even then there is a gray area.

I swear I'm not "concerned" as much as I'm genuinely curious about why it's legal. I don't see this remotely as parody. It might be considered humorous, but only because the quote and scene in the movie are funny by intent. This doesn't cast the quote or the scene in an alternate light to suggest irony or parody. If anything, it just pretends to murk the waters by not actually using the full likeness of Nedry, opting for a stylized silhouette. Everything else is direct elements of the film and its logo, simply culled in a creative way as to not be a single element from the film.

I think you'd have a tough time suggesting this wasn't a derivative work. It directly speaks to elements of the film franchise without any sort of "twist" to imply that it's ironic or parody.


Again, more my curiosity here than anything else.

I ain't signing anything! What? It's not that kind of signature? Oh. So that's what it is? Oh. I'm still not interested.

tk6918


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tk6918
bakntime wrote:The saying, the font, etc might not be copyrighted, but their use together is absolutely intellectual property. (Fonts can actually be copyrighted, but I'm not sure about that one - don't know who designed it and/or if it is commercially available). And just because a quote itself isn't intellectual property, its use in conjunction with other elements that are clearly from the film implies derivation.

You see fan art and fan fiction in this vein all the time - but it's only allowed if you don't actually sell it or profit off it. Even then there is a gray area.

I swear I'm not "concerned" as much as I'm genuinely curious about why it's legal. I don't see this remotely as parody. It might be considered humorous, but only because the quote and scene in the movie are funny by intent. This doesn't cast the quote or the scene in an alternate light to suggest irony or parody. If anything, it just pretends to murk the waters by not actually using the full likeness of Nedry, opting for a stylized silhouette. Everything else is direct elements of the film and its logo, simply culled in a creative way as to not be a single element from the film.

I think you'd have a tough time suggesting this wasn't a derivative work. It directly speaks to elements of the film franchise without any sort of "twist" to imply that it's ironic or parody.


Again, more my curiosity here than anything else.



Since I am no lawyer my guess is, they have nothing to gain by wasting time and money sending out cease and desist letters from blood sucking lawyers. Not only is it free advertising for them, but in the long run, they gain from furthering our fandom

bakntime


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bakntime
tk6918 wrote:Since I am no lawyer my guess is, they have nothing to gain by wasting time and money sending out cease and desist letters from blood sucking lawyers. Not only is it free advertising for them, but in the long run, they gain from furthering our fandom



If that's the explanation, I'm on board, trust me. But basically what you're saying is that "it's probably not legal, but they don't really care."

I ain't signing anything! What? It's not that kind of signature? Oh. So that's what it is? Oh. I'm still not interested.

bradlinf


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bradlinf

So what is the magic word anyway?

CharlesP2009


quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I don't care for lawyers, do you?

skispeakeasy


quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy

I hope everyone has this etched in their brains for the rest of the day: Dennis Nedry


Done and done! ;)

lstaff


quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
tk6918 wrote:Since I am no lawyer my guess is, they have nothing to gain by wasting time and money sending out cease and desist letters from blood sucking lawyers. Not only is it free advertising for them, but in the long run, they gain from furthering our fandom



Movie and entertainment companies pick whom they go after with their cease and desist letters and expending huge amounts of money - sometimes even when they KNOW they do not have the law behind them and that they will lose at trial (and do).
They pursue, sue and bring to trial ridiculous cases costing individuals huge amounts of trouble and money in the process of their defense.
Trust me, I know someone in this business.

After all, haven't we all heard about this incidence of Star**cks going after someone?
I agree with most of the posters above: looks like it may be infringement, do think it brings positive press to a decades old movie, not sure I care that much for the legal profession, do think it's amazingly well done, did think the songs in the write up were horribly delightful, do wonder how hoodies sell out ( I WOULD think they can just make more), and I AM hungry.

Ok, no one else is hungry. But that doesn't mean it's not worth saying.

(Access Denied. To food.)

acraigl


quality posts: 38 Private Messages acraigl

I like the concept, and got the reference immediately. What I don't understand is why artists continue to put these 'taglines' below the design. To me it kinda hits you over the head with the joke ("Did you get it? It's from this movie.") and makes it less funny/clever overall, and at least for me, less likely to purchase/wear.

Love the design... want less words.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Rad shirt.

For bonus fun, google "nedry fan art". You'll know -it- when you see it.

skatimmy737


quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Dodgson! We've got Dodgson over here!

vonmatrices


quality posts: 1 Private Messages vonmatrices

I REALLY LIKE THIS HACKER CRAP!

djalliduck


quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck
bradlinf wrote:So what is the magic word anyway?



Dennis Nedry: [on computer] Uh uh uh! You didn't say the magic word! Uh uh uh! Uh uh uh!
[repeating uh uh uh]
Ray Arnold: Please! God damn it! I hate this hacker crap!

djalliduck


quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

Where's the zebra striped hot chick? /disappoint

jbuerer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbuerer

This needs to be available on underwear.

computermd82


quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Anybody else looking at this shirt's page, switch tabs for whatever reason, and then see "Access Denied" at the top of the tab and think you had a login problem somewhere?

Well played, Woot!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

rossruns


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rossruns

Ok, the shirt is cool and all but can we talk about the title for a minute?

You realize in Chrome that the shirt title shows up as your browser's tab title, right?

I auto-open my Woot tabs and this one pops up "ACCESS DENIED".

For a second, I had a heart attack thinking that my workplace had blocked Woot. I was all fired up to go explain to IT their grievous sin, when I realized the page had loaded just fine, access and all.


Thanks for the scare today, Woot!

skgpyro


quality posts: 2 Private Messages skgpyro
skatimmy737 wrote:Dodgson! We've got Dodgson over here!



See, nobody cares.

timerider


quality posts: 4 Private Messages timerider
skispeakeasy wrote:I hope everyone has this etched in their brains for the rest of the day: Dennis Nedry



Came to post this. :D

oakenspirit


quality posts: 74 Private Messages oakenspirit
rossruns wrote:Ok, the shirt is cool and all but can we talk about the title for a minute?

You realize in Chrome that the shirt title shows up as your browser's tab title, right?

I auto-open my Woot tabs and this one pops up "ACCESS DENIED".

For a second, I had a heart attack thinking that my workplace had blocked Woot. I was all fired up to go explain to IT their grievous sin, when I realized the page had loaded just fine, access and all.


Thanks for the scare today, Woot!



Same exact scenario- I started rethinking my job situation- ;)

Cool shirt- I always felt bad for Nedry- I'm sure he has a really sad back story about how he was just trying to save his dying wife or sister...

MukYJ


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MukYJ
bradlinf wrote:So what is the magic word anyway?



rockmasterflex69


quality posts: 5 Private Messages rockmasterflex69
jbuerer wrote:This needs to be available on underwear.



This right here.

Undwerwear.woot.

RPaulG87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RPaulG87

Hopefully I can just shrink the 2XL with the dryer..this shirt is priceless.

pogock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pogock

I always wondered if he ever actually ate that piece of pie with the shaving cream on it.

zach92851


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zach92851

I think the last time I saw a cool/funny/weird/original shirt on shirt.woot was in 2008 or 2009. I have yet to see anything worth while since, and its a crying shame.😭 Revamp/Reevaluate/Redeem yourselves shirt.woot

TheGolux


quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to first woot: 1m 6.111s
First sucker:BlackDespondency
Last wooter to woot:syphondog3
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

First day sales 866
First day posts 33

dredghill1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dredghill1
bakntime wrote:The saying, the font, etc might not be copyrighted, but their use together is absolutely intellectual property. (Fonts can actually be copyrighted, but I'm not sure about that one - don't know who designed it and/or if it is commercially available). And just because a quote itself isn't intellectual property, its use in conjunction with other elements that are clearly from the film implies derivation.

You see fan art and fan fiction in this vein all the time - but it's only allowed if you don't actually sell it or profit off it. Even then there is a gray area.

I swear I'm not "concerned" as much as I'm genuinely curious about why it's legal. I don't see this remotely as parody. It might be considered humorous, but only because the quote and scene in the movie are funny by intent. This doesn't cast the quote or the scene in an alternate light to suggest irony or parody. If anything, it just pretends to murk the waters by not actually using the full likeness of Nedry, opting for a stylized silhouette. Everything else is direct elements of the film and its logo, simply culled in a creative way as to not be a single element from the film.

I think you'd have a tough time suggesting this wasn't a derivative work. It directly speaks to elements of the film franchise without any sort of "twist" to imply that it's ironic or parody.


Again, more my curiosity here than anything else.



..Yeah. Well I'm sure if the new Lucas-Disney-Arts really had an issue with it, they'd be on it fairly quickly.

I mean, I doubt Disney would make a Parody shirt of their own intellectual property. But they aren't hurting for money either to enforce Parody Art being sold. So penny pinching against Practically free advertising probably won't spark any crazy copyright infringement-suits with their lawyers.

but than again... it is corporate america.. :P

n1ghtcraw7er


quality posts: 0 Private Messages n1ghtcraw7er
manhandsha wrote:It looks like those hoodie sizes are the only blanks we had available for now. Sorry :/



Will it be available as a hoodie again soon now that it's part of the reckoning?

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

n1ghtcraw7er wrote:Will it be available as a hoodie again soon now that it's part of the reckoning?



Nope, sorry, they were only available on launch day, but we might put it on a hoodie again some day in a Plus sale!


silicapathways


quality posts: 0 Private Messages silicapathways
acraigl wrote:I like the concept, and got the reference immediately. What I don't understand is why artists continue to put these 'taglines' below the design. To me it kinda hits you over the head with the joke ("Did you get it? It's from this movie.") and makes it less funny/clever overall, and at least for me, less likely to purchase/wear.

Love the design... want less words.



"You didn't say the magic word" is part of the quote. I don't understand why you want less text.

joachimv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joachimv

Since I didn't see a link posted, Here's the scene from the movie if you didn't remember or didn't see it: Jurassic Park - Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word