WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Who among you has never dreamed of quitting your job, selling everything you own, moving to Santa Fe, and pursuing your dream of becoming a professional metallurgist? You could say that metal flows through our veins, but that would require raising it to dangerous temperatures and we are very literal, so we'll just say that we really like metal. 

There are dozens of metals on the Periodic Table, but you only get to choose between two (silver & gold) and use only one metallic ink per design. We're going to say that again here and then again in the rules: One color per designs! Silver or gold! 

• Use either gold (#b69624) or silver (#c5c7c9) metallic shimmer ink for your design - only one, not both. Here is a swatch for reference. 
  • No halftones or gradients. 
  • The smallest line we can print using metallic ink is a 4 point line in Illustrator, or an 8 pixel line in Photoshop. (Those numbers are based on your artwork at full size.)
  • No Crème Tees

sombrillo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo

Does the design need to be exclusively gold or silver, or can it be gold or silver in addition to other pantone colors?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Just to make sure I understand-

We can only use one metallic ink, but can we also use 5 other colors?

Also, are there no halftones at all, or only no halftones with the metallic ink?

Thanks!

tadkins88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tadkins88

I think you can only use Gold or Silver. "One color per designs! Silver or gold!"

jessisima wrote:Just to make sure I understand-

We can only use one metallic ink, but can we also use 5 other colors?

Also, are there no halftones at all, or only no halftones with the metallic ink?

Thanks!

jessisima

tadkins88 wrote:I think you can only use Gold or Silver. "One color per designs! Silver or gold!"

Yeah I felt like that was probably the case.... we'll see i guess...

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yes, this is a one color derby, and that color has to be either metallic or silver ink. No other colors.

jessisima

tgentry wrote:Yes, this is a one color derby, and that color has to be either metallic or silver ink. No other colors.

Thank you

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Haaah. I just finished one of these. Was going to sub as a daily:

I'll have to tweak it so it's all one shimmery gold thingy of course. Any other thoughts welcome

texhnolyzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texhnolyzed
rasabi wrote:Haaah. I just finished one of these. Was going to sub as a daily:

I'll have to tweak it so it's all one shimmery gold thingy of course. Any other thoughts welcome

More gold ! maybe smaller coins so he seems to have mountains of it !

lichme

quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

My rough idea for this entry (obviously needz fixing up)

tadkins88

Thoughts?

tadkins88

Also this one

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris

Red or black?

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Golden retrievers!
Along this kind of thinghttp://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=370621425498

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

I see Smaug is a popular topic for this derby, but here is mine anyway. It's a lerge print so the details should be easy to print in metallic, though at this size it might not appear that way.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Does anyone else remember TGentry's design with the miner leaving a narrow mine. The miner was on a horse. The hole he dug was almost to the gold.

That shirt would be EPIC for this derby. Also, I still very much want that shirt.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
ste7enl wrote:
I see Smaug is a popular topic for this derby, but here is mine anyway. It's a lerge print so the details should be easy to print in metallic, though at this size it might not appear that way.

yup, I was totally doing the exact same idear...le sigh...

jessisima

Everytime there is a derby having to do with gold I always try to bring it back to pyrite (aka fools gold.) This shirt is ridiculous.... but it needed to be made.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

Here's what I'm thinking for tomorrow... "Cats Nouveau" looking for some feedback. Please let me know what you think.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I think I'll have the only design with a Smaug reference, right? Right?

psavasjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psavasjr
collinvh wrote:Here's what I'm thinking for tomorrow... "Cats Nouveau" looking for some feedback. Please let me know what you think.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but enough with the cats already! It's so predictable! There's always one-or-more cat-related designs in the derby. I feel like it's overdone...

(steps off soapbox)

I have nothing against cats. I love cats. I've had cats as pets. It's just there are so many creative people in this community (I'm NOT one of them, which is why the one design I submitted got only one vote -- mine), I know they can think beyond cats...

(Please don't hate me.)

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
tgentry wrote:Yes, this is a one color derby, and that color has to be either metallic or silver ink. No other colors.

10 hours into a 6 color design and I decided to read the comments. I kind of want to puke.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
ChuckleNorris wrote:
Red or black?

So good!

It's gold on red for me, although that could be my inner gryffindor talking.

jessisima

Radscoolian wrote:10 hours into a 6 color design and I decided to read the comments. I kind of want to puke.

Ohh nooo! Hopefully you can save it for another time

Spiritgreen

I made a little silver friend.

"The Distant Future"

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus
lichme wrote:My rough idea for this entry (obviously needz fixing up)

This one is way too clever!! LOVE IT!

Spiritgreen

Radscoolian wrote:10 hours into a 6 color design and I decided to read the comments. I kind of want to puke.

Ohhh man, feel your pain. I bet it's awesome too.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

If I made my mockup look shiny, is it going to be canned? I did everything ahead of time after seeing rasabi's super rad mockup and now I am worried after seeing everyone else's flat mockups... At work now so I can't really alter it-

oakenspirit

ChuckleNorris wrote:
Red or black?

I also love the red- Nice man-

oakenspirit

omarfeliciano wrote:I think I'll have the only design with a Smaug reference, right? Right?

This is great- especially after that COP OUT ENDING the movie had!!! hehe

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:

Love the style- gonna be a hard week!

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:Everytime there is a derby having to do with gold I always try to bring it back to pyrite (aka fools gold.) This shirt is ridiculous.... but it needed to be made.

Ha!

oakenspirit

tadkins88 wrote:Also this one

Pretty sure shirts have been rejected before for using the writing around the ring- You may want to play with it a little to make it off- love the dragon though~

oakenspirit

rasabi wrote:Haaah. I just finished one of these. Was going to sub as a daily:

Love the idea behind this one- the catchphrase is great-

oakenspirit

collinvh wrote:Here's what I'm thinking for tomorrow... "Cats Nouveau" looking for some feedback. Please let me know what you think.

I really like how clean and cute it is- and it looks great on the shirt- I am nervous that many people will use SO MUCH INK that is shiny that I wouldn't want to wear many of the designs- this style works well - and cats sell, so...

oakenspirit

lichme wrote:My rough idea for this entry (obviously needz fixing up)

/claps

oakenspirit

Spiritgreen wrote:I made a little silver friend.

"The Distant Future"

ADORE-

tadkins88

Version #2 Thoughts?

oakenspirit wrote:Pretty sure shirts have been rejected before for using the writing around the ring- You may want to play with it a little to make it off- love the dragon though~

Spiritgreen

tadkins88 wrote:Version #2 Thoughts?

Hey, it's a great visual. The dragon is too close to the cover of The Hobbit though and going on past rejections Woot will not print any actual elvish writing.

(It's okay to throw together some lowercase u d p q o, etc. but if it's genuine Tolkien then it's protected by his estate.)

tadkins88

Thanks for the Advice. Here is my new rendition. Eye of Smaug

Spiritgreen wrote:Hey, it's a great visual. The dragon is too close to the cover of The Hobbit though and going on past rejections Woot will not print any actual elvish writing.

(It's okay to throw together some lowercase u d p q o, etc. but if it's genuine Tolkien then it's protected by his estate.)