dacrete

quality posts: 105 Private Messages dacrete

I vote Pop!

scrabblefish

quality posts: 13 Private Messages scrabblefish

Pour me a soda!

jrs1980

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jrs1980

I'm the highly suggestible type. Sure, it's midnight, but...I want a pop.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

shortman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages shortman

I'm in soda land, but I've always called it Coke. I must be a rebel.

I now abstain from soda/coke/pop in favor of unsweetened tea of plain water. I plan to live forever.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I call 'em soda pops and I live in TX. I'm an anomaly. Most of my friends agree with that last statement.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mfpmax

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mfpmax

Only if the bottom tip of Florida broke off like on the shirt lol.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Different parts of the country have different names for all kinds of things. Try these tests Harvard Dialect Survey, and The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes and see if they identify where you are from.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

+1 for soda

Quasiskunk

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Quasiskunk

I live in just north of the splat! in the center...but I call it soda.

Soda Forever!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

LOL, so true. Ohio is POP country for sure. Part II of this shirt could be athletic shoe wars. Sneakers, tennis shoes, runners, crosstrainers...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Yeah- my dad (from the mountains of NC) always called them all cokes- My mom (from Delaware) always called it pop-

My wife (from PA) and I mimic this exactly. I took my father's name, after all....

lonelypond

quality posts: 416 Private Messages lonelypond
zekecatz wrote:Different parts of the country have different names for all kinds of things. Try these tests Harvard Dialect Survey, and The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes and see if they identify where you are from.

NY Times had the Harvard one (note to self: check other link first). Twitter leaned toward accurate. Drinking my soda in sneakers on Mischief Night gave me away.

When I went off to school in Chicago, not only was the pop thing a culture shock, then there was my friend from Alabama who had a Coke with breakfast ?!??!?!?! every morning.

So yes, this shirt provides a handy key for ordering in diners on that cross country trip.

philbcon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages philbcon

They missed the TONIC region.

lordbowen

quality posts: 228 Private Messages lordbowen

Thank goodness I live in the Borderlands and can call it what I want.

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

Can't we all just get along?

A really really long looping Soda Popinksi video for your viewing pleasure. Bring back any memories?

littleclyde

quality posts: 16 Private Messages littleclyde

Big congrats!

jespensc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jespensc

Grew up calling a soda a soda. Mom and Pop are people who raised me. If I went out to the store and bought a soda, they might put it in a bag. A brown paper bag. Then I moved and met these weird people who referred to soda as dad...er "pop" ... and if I bought one they might put it in a bag that they called a "sack" (which is what testicles come in). I was ok until I went to a store, and a sweet old lady asked me "Do you want your pop in a sack?"

The visual still haunts me 20 years later.

rgriffin09

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rgriffin09
shortman wrote:I'm in soda land, but I've always called it Coke. I must be a rebel.

I now abstain from soda/coke/pop in favor of unsweetened tea of plain water. I plan to live forever.

Funny, I and my family live in Coke land, but we've always called them sodas.

Why would anyone call sweet, carbonated beverages "Cokes" when a Coke is a specific type? That would be like calling all vegetables "spinach."

"Hey, can you pass the spinach?"

"Um........ you mean the carrots?"

"Po-tay-toh Po-taw-toh. Same difference."

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Love this shirt. I am from California and I had a friend come visit me from Colorado a few years ago. We were with a group of my friends when she and asked if there was somewhere we could stop to get a pop. I was so embarrassed.

sequoiae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sequoiae

The map is somewhat wrong. People in New Mexico do not call every carbonated beverage "coke."

chiefthom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiefthom

I grew up calling carbonated sugar drinks of any hue 'soda pop'.

MotoRider420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MotoRider420

I like the shirt idea, but I don't know ANYONE in Missouri who says "Pop". Its either "Coke", "Pepsi" or "Soda".

rgriffin09

jespensc wrote:Grew up calling a soda a soda. Mom and Pop are people who raised me. If I went out to the store and bought a soda, they might put it in a bag. A brown paper bag. Then I moved and met these weird people who referred to soda as dad...er "pop" ... and if I bought one they might put it in a bag that they called a "sack" (which is what testicles come in). I was ok until I went to a store, and a sweet old lady asked me "Do you want your pop in a sack?"

The visual still haunts me 20 years later.

"Hhh- Hello dearie! Would you like a little pop in the sack! Be careful not to shake it too hard, now! You wouldn't want it to explode!"

Hahahaha. Hilarious, man.

tcmilkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcmilkman

Coming from MN, now in TX, I can attest. Shirt follows this website which I believe started from a sociological study, and has been up and updated at least since 2000.

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Enjoy!

jezzarisky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jezzarisky

I live in Utah and it's largely a soda state. I've only ran across a few that use pop.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
--Mahatma Gandhi

Shellyfish

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Shellyfish
rgriffin09 wrote:Funny, I and my family live in Coke land, but we've always called them sodas.

Why would anyone call sweet, carbonated beverages "Cokes" when a Coke is a specific type? That would be like calling all vegetables "spinach."

"Hey, can you pass the spinach?"

"Um........ you mean the carrots?"

"Po-tay-toh Po-taw-toh. Same difference."

If you have ever called a tissue a kleenex, a photocopy a xerox, or a bandage a band-aid, it's the same phenomenon.

Shellyfish

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Shellyfish

I live in "Coke" land and I call them cokes, so it's accurate for me. I lived in Washington DC for a while learned the "soda" way of life. Can we all just agree that "pop" is embarrassing?

tbq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbq

Coke and Vanilla Coke are my two most frequently purchased varieties of pop. Root beer and Mountain Dew are other pop varieties I try to keep in the house.

rgriffin09

Shellyfish wrote:If you have ever called a tissue a kleenex, a photocopy a xerox, or a bandage a band-aid, it's the same phenomenon.

I've never called a photocopy a xerox, but I think the others are a bit different from Coke. At least in stores where I'm from, there are only two types of facial, nose-blowing tissues: Kleenex and off-brand facial tissues. It's just easier to call it a Kleenex because there aren't a hundred different kinds of facial tissues like there are sodas.

Same for Bandaids. It's either Bandaids or finger bandages. Saying Bandaids is faster and easier, and there aren't a hundred others to get them confused with.

But seriously, though. Are there never complications with shopping? If you ask someone to get you a coke, do they grab you a Coke, or do they ask you what kind of coke you want? I'm a combination of intrigued and confused, lol.

If someone asked me what kind of coke I wanted, I would respond "Vanilla, please!" ;]

mixmastamikal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixmastamikal
jezzarisky wrote:I live in Utah and it's largely a soda state. I've only ran across a few that use pop.

This.

Utah is most definitely a Soda state, Whenever a friend of mine from Nebraska says pop it always gets laughs from people.

DA MIXMASTA

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

They forgot Soft Drink.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict

I'm a Pepsi man myself. Coke gives me indigestion.
Seriously though, I'm from SC and I've never known anyone who referred to all carbonated drinks as "cokes". We call each one by name. Someone may always ask for a Coke, but that's because a Coke is what they want.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

What's all this kerfuffle about fizzy drinks?

(congrats kevlar!)

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim

Congrats Kevlar! I learned something tonight, I ALWAYS thought the Northeast were the biggest culprits of calling Coke, Pop.

I had to go to that website to see there has been research done that proves otherwise.

I always thought Philadelphia, New York, and all of the New England area called it Pop along with all the other Bahstahn stuff they say. Y'know, Hahvahd, Pahk the cah, Clam Chowdah, etc.

Maybe they call it soder instead... but I thought they had issues with R's...

My mind is blown kevlar!

Awesome shirt, though, glad to be a Coke guy!

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
shortman wrote:I'm in soda land, but I've always called it Coke. I must be a rebel.

I'm in Sweet Tea country and call it Unsweet tea as well, but just so we're clear... There really isn't such a thing as UNSWEET tea. . (It's just Tea)

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
Shellyfish wrote:If you have ever called a tissue a kleenex, a photocopy a xerox, or a bandage a band-aid, it's the same phenomenon.

You want Jell-O with that?

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot
philbcon wrote:They missed the TONIC region.

Ay-yup, many New Englanders enjoy their tonic, which may have been purchased at a local "spa", which is (inexplicably) what the cramped and dingy corner convenience store is often called. Usage of "tonic" does seem to be fading, so it might be generational as well as regional.

I've lived in all the regions, but rarely drink the stuff, so I'm not even sure what I call it. "Would anyone like a, uh, something to drink?"

Fun shirt design!

kr580

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kr580
zekecatz wrote:Different parts of the country have different names for all kinds of things. Try these tests Harvard Dialect Survey, and The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes and see if they identify where you are from.

Creepy. They got my city right. Guess I'm predictable.

Ohhh no, there goes Tokyo. Go, go, Godzilla.

novaprof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novaprof

I'm from Bahston. We call it, "tonic".