WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Designs From The ShirtStorm

Our resolution is to release 17 new designs every day in 2014. So far we've missed about 14 days and almost killed ourselves getting this sale together, so we'd say it's going 'OK.' Partake from the fruit of our labor before we keel over. 

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

In case you guys were still wondering how the ShirtStorm was going to affect the Reckoning, I hope this is the answer you were looking for? Apparently they won't be in the Reckoning at all!

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

I realize you guys were probably testing this sort of thing, to see how it goes over. I mean I can't see the sales numbers so maybe it worked for you, but personally I didn't like this shirt storm thing.

TLDR: I prefer daily 24 hr shirts having their own day to shine and be commented on. Heaps of shirts should be saved for week long side sales or special Woot off occasions.

Side sales are great for collecting related (or unrelated) theme shirts because you have like a week-ish to look over the designs and decide if you want to purchase. This shirt storm thing felt like that only they were $12 each instead of $15 (nice) but you only had 1 day to think about the designs (not so great).

My comment in the there about comment overload wasn't entirely joking. I really didn't know what to say. I couldn't really focus on one thing to say about any one design, but I could have written an entire novel, going back and forth between pages looking at each shirts before I said everything I could have said. So I said nothing. Part of the fun of shirt woot is the banter between users (usually). Reading through the shirtstorm comments later, I wasn't really sure which shirt people were talking about for each injoke or whatever.

And now there is a side sale, it's nice to have a longer chance to look over the designs or discuss them. But I'm not taken with any of the designs still, and I'm broke enough to be so cheap as to not buy something for $15 when I passed it up for $12.

Just my two cents.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

safyrejet wrote:snip

Part of me wonders if we did it just to use the term "shirtstorm" on the front page.

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
safyrejet wrote:I realize you guys were probably testing this sort of thing, to see how it goes over. I mean I can't see the sales numbers so maybe it worked for you, but personally I didn't like this shirt storm thing.

This little experiment countered two aspects - those who always go "dang it, I missed ___ during a shirt.woot-off" and those who complain about the shirt of the day not being to their taste. Well, here's a variety of them, all together - so shutup and open your wallet!

I don't have the time to do the numbers calculating, but some designs have sold better than other recent offerings.

... This shirt storm thing felt like that only they were $12 each instead of $15 (nice) but you only had 1 day to think about the designs (not so great).

In other words, it's really no different from the daily offering, where it's $12 on the debut day and $15 for at least the week after in the reckoning.

... I couldn't really focus on one thing to say about any one design, but I could have written an entire novel, ...

I remember reading novels in the forums here in the past! Those were the days ...

(Speaking of novels and the relevant parties thereof, was Gym Rat just overlooked for inclusion in the catalog or was it under a C-contract?)

While there are other aspects at play here, namely the artist commission structure, I saw this more as an experiment and not a change from "one shirt, one day".

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

Actually different from a daily offering because there were 17 of them heaped on the site at once. So it was similar to a daily offering overload or a reduced price for 1 day only side sale.

I wouldn't compare it to a woot off because we're usually warned that a woot off is coming and when those are happening it should be well-known by now that things go fast and you'll miss a lot if you're not periodically F5ing and fast on the buy button. People who complain about missing stuff then should realize that that's the nature of the woot offs. And as to people who complain about not liking a daily shirt, move on, another one will be available in 24 hrs.

If this was a test to alleviate those sort of complaints, fine. If some people liked it that's fine too, I'm just saying I didn't and why.