WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Like a spare poem, 8-bit art demonstrates how much can be accomplished with so very little. Next-gen consoles are now capable of spewing literally millions of pixels per second, but, just as haikus have not been rendered obsolete by 800-page novels, there will always be a place for the beautiful simplicity of pixel art. 

We're looking for designs that highlight something surprising through the lens of 8-bit art (or 16-bit -- nobody's counting pixels here), not just bygone video game references. So polish up your pixels and show us what you've got! 

• No existing video games (It's OK to use common gaming tropes but don't reference specific games)
  • No Doctor Who, Adventure Time, Hobbit, LOTR, or Star Wars
  • No creme tees

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

My prediction of a Double Take this week was wrong, once again...

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
omarfeliciano wrote:My prediction of a Double Take this week was wrong, once again...

Yeah, I was crossing my fingers for it...

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
omarfeliciano wrote:My prediction of a Double Take this week was wrong, once again...

Not a Double Take but isn't this theme a rerun?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Is making something in the 8-bit style enough to not get WE CAN'T PRINT THIS rejected- example- if I made an 8-bit version of a scene in GOOD NIGHT MOON-

I, too, was expecting a double take but I am excited about this theme!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
zekecatz wrote:Not a Double Take but isn't this theme a rerun?

We did everyday 8-bit a couple years ago.

psykosenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psykosenator

Fun idea I think, makes it easy on us artists sorta. For a grid I'm setting it to a grid line every 20 pixels on a 72 dpi image. I couldn't find the exact value and not sure how to calculate. I think this creates a grid about 40x32 pixels. Good luck wooters!

Edit: The more I think about it, maybe more pixels are needed, depends on the design I guess, or set to about 13 dpi.

sjaynedesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sjaynedesign

I'm ready for this one. :D

RussianAndRigg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RussianAndRigg

Pardon my "red shirtiness" lol! I am new to submissions. Is there a limit to the number of Derby submissions I can do?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
RussianAndRigg wrote:Pardon my "red shirtiness" lol! I am new to submissions. Is there a limit to the number of Derby submissions I can do?

There is not.

Nothing follows.

numchux9000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages numchux9000
RussianAndRigg wrote:Pardon my "red shirtiness" lol! I am new to submissions. Is there a limit to the number of Derby submissions I can do?

You can just do what one guy does and sub 4 or 5 entries under different accounts each derby.

RussianAndRigg

taternuggets wrote:There is not.

Awesome! Thank you for your help

RussianAndRigg

numchux9000 wrote:You can just do what one guy does and sub 4 or 5 entries under different accounts each derby.

Awesome! Thank you for your help

numchux9000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages numchux9000
RussianAndRigg wrote:Awesome! Thank you for your help

Please don't follow my advice. I was being sarcastic

taternuggets

numchux9000 wrote:Please don't follow my advice. I was being sarcastic

nice work.

Nothing follows.

omarfeliciano

numchux9000 wrote:You can just do what one guy does and sub 4 or 5 entries under different accounts each derby.

Hahaha I know who that person is. And it's even funnier when one of his/her accounts comments on another of his/her designs under a different name. I made a design comparison between two of these accounts and he/she even uses the same texture techniques...

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
omarfeliciano wrote:Hahaha I know who that person is. And it's even funnier when one of his/her accounts comments on another of his/her designs under a different name. I made a design comparison between two of these accounts and he/she even uses the same texture techniques...

Wait, what? Who would do that? There has never been a limit on submissions that I have ever seen.

taternuggets

ste7enl wrote:Wait, what? Who would do that? There has never been a limit on submissions that I have ever seen.

Well, one of these "accounts" has been called out a few times for nefarious reasons.

Nothing follows.

sjaynedesign

omarfeliciano wrote:Hahaha I know who that person is. And it's even funnier when one of his/her accounts comments on another of his/her designs under a different name. I made a design comparison between two of these accounts and he/she even uses the same texture techniques...

Wow...that's just...sad. When you have to give yourself compliments. Great job, me! Mine is my favourite design out of the whole derby! lol

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

My head can't get past connecting 8-Bit to specific game related ideas. Hope some of you are having greater success.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
PixelPants wrote:My head can't get past connecting 8-Bit to specific game related ideas. Hope some of you are having greater success.

Now I'm questioning what I've got in the works...

omarfeliciano

Thoughts?

sjaynedesign

omarfeliciano wrote:Thoughts?

Haha, I like it. Cleverly done. If you wanted to, you could add a few highlights.

sjaynedesign

Here's mine. Any thoughts?

ste7enl

Just finished this up. Anything else it needs? It feels pretty complete to me, but in the back of my mind a voice is saying "hey, buddy, maybe add a little something something"

kaedex99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99
omarfeliciano wrote:Thoughts?

Is the pose not referencing or aping Megaman? I would think that would technically go against the rules.

omarfeliciano

sjaynedesign wrote:Haha, I like it. Cleverly done. If you wanted to, you could add a few highlights.

I tried it, but the choices of color made it almost impossible to do it without halftoned pixels, and using solid colors made it look weird.

kaedex99 wrote:Is the pose not referencing or aping Megaman? I would think that would technically go against the rules.

I went ahead with the idea because of this part of the rules, "It's OK to use common gaming tropes...". I based it on the pose, not elements of the game itself. Let's see what happens.

kaedex99

omarfeliciano wrote:I went ahead with the idea because of this part of the rules, "It's OK to use common gaming tropes...". I based it on the pose, not elements of the game itself. Let's see what happens.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with your interpretation of the phrase "common gaming tropes", but I wish you luck nonetheless. -:] We'll leave it up to Woot!

omarfeliciano

kaedex99 wrote:I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with your interpretation of the phrase "common gaming tropes", but I wish you luck nonetheless. -:] We'll leave it up to Woot!

I could be wrong. Thanks for your feedback ;)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Great designs, Stephanie, Omar and Steven!

Here's my one:

oakenspirit

This week is gonna rule-

Steph- that is AWESOME- great solid pixel work.

Steven- looks great man- my only worry is heart/butterfly nipples- make sure you aim low enough- ;)

Omar- Hope luck is on your side- I don't want to see something so fun get canned-

Matt- I smell the ink printing on it already-

oakenspirit

Here's what I have- Hope it doesn't get canned- but I have seen many scenes from movies redone in pixel art printed here so hopefully books count too- ;)

kaedex99

I've had this Magic School Bus / Nyan Cat design sitting around for a few years, but I seem to remember that Shirt.Woot is notorious for rejecting Nyan Cat submissions that too strongly resemble the original. Any thoughts on whether it's worth submitting?

Magic School Cat Bus of Learning:

Also, oakenspirit, that is AWESOME.

omarfeliciano

Spiritgreen wrote:Great designs, Stephanie, Omar and Steven!

Here's my one:

I can totally see this RPG on a NES. Definitely a +1 from me and and an Instabuy.

@oaken - Love you design too!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I have- Hope it doesn't get canned- but I have seen many scenes from movies redone in pixel art printed here so hopefully books count too- ;)

Now that is a wild monster party! ^__^

sjaynedesign

omarfeliciano wrote:I tried it, but the choices of color made it almost impossible to do it without halftoned pixels, and using solid colors made it look weird.

Omar- It was the only thing I thought of that could be changed, but I think it looks great the way it is. Good luck!

SpiritGreen-That looks awesome! Great detail!

Oakenspirit-Great idea and great design! It must taken a lot of work to simplify the illustration, too!

design2heart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages design2heart

Well, that means I can be voted 4 or 5 times by that one person!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I wasn't able to start on a design last night and I was thinking about trying to do one last minute.... but after seeing these amazing designs, there is just no way to compete. Fantastic work everyone

design2heart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages design2heart
jessisima wrote:I wasn't able to start on a design last night and I was thinking about trying to do one last minute.... but after seeing these amazing designs, there is just no way to compete. Fantastic work everyone

come on! I do it anyway, even if I stand no chance.

ste7enl

And here I thought, with the rules in place, there wouldn't be much pop culture...