3%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lonelypond

quality posts: 462 Private Messages lonelypond

And now I want this shirt and to play marbles.

Merry Christmas shirtwoot!

lordbowen

quality posts: 312 Private Messages lordbowen

This so appeals to my inner science geek.

theco2

quality posts: 92 Private Messages theco2

A daily printed as a hoodie? Be still my beating heart.

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA

It's not gravity. Kepler's first law of planetary motion states that orbits are elliptical with the Sun at a focus point. This clearly has the largest body at the center.

TBQTigger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TBQTigger

The fundamental forces are finally being brought together into one ToE (theory of everything)! I am positively shocked by the gravity of this relation.

Demonbuttercup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Demonbuttercup

Debating on getting a hoodie. I looked at sizing chart... not sure size to get. I always buy a Med in guys tshirt. Dont get womens shirts bc fit too slim. Like my hoodies a lil big but not like huge.

pinsandnoodles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinsandnoodles

nice design!

heinricp

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp
Pony99CA wrote:It's not gravity. Kepler's first law of planetary motion states that orbits are elliptical with the Sun at a focus point. This clearly has the largest body at the center.

Uhh . . . yes it is . . . Gravity is the fundamental force that keeps heavenly bodies together in an orbiting system . . . Kepler's first law of motion is a descriptive law based on observation, not a fundamental force. Without a force holding the system together Kepler's laws are moot. Saying "it's not gravity . . ." is like saying that a hydraulic jack works via Pascal's law, not via pressure or that Apples don't fall to the ground because of gravity, they fall down because of Newton's Laws of Motion. If Newton and Kepler didn't discover their laws, the force of gravity would still cause the same behavior on apples and heavenly bodies . . . so I fail to see how "It's not gravity . . . "

Having said that, perhaps a more apt name for the shirt would be "Gravity or Electromagnetism" or "Atom or Solar System." The original name is mixing the name of a force and the name of a system. My sixth grade English teacher would ding that on grounds of parallel structure.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 100 Private Messages Thirdbase9

But aren't strings made up of threads?

I don't know.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
Pony99CA wrote:It's not gravity. Kepler's first law of planetary motion states that orbits are elliptical with the Sun at a focus point. This clearly has the largest body at the center.

I'm about to go really, really nerdy...

A circles is an ellipse in the special case where the two foci are at the same point. If you view this shirt as if the planets are moving in and out of the plane of the shirt, then that would cause the circles to appear squished. As long as the orbits only appear elliptical because of perspective, there's no problem.

However, electrons are quantum mechanical in nature with no definable size or radius. They are more like clouds than billiard balls. For your consideration, I present Wikipedia. So, this is clearly not the model of an atom.

As for the planetary aspect, it just so happens that when solar systems and galaxies form, the conservation of momentum dictates that almost always, you'll find that the object flattens out into a disc. See this great minutephysics YouTube video. It is highly unlikely that you would find the orbits of three planets moving in different planes.

Finally, orbital mechanics shows that planets need to be at different distances from the central star in order to have stable orbits.

So, in summary, this is definitely not an atom, but it might be a highly unusual solar system with circular orbits that due to perspective are squished, with each object orbiting at the same distance from the central star, but in different planes.

HaveAWootDay

quality posts: 5 Private Messages HaveAWootDay

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

MIB warned us about this...

Congrats on the Print Tobe

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

I'm digging the huge crater on the center planet.

tobefonseca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
omarfeliciano wrote:MIB warned us about this...

Thanks so much mate :D

rhonimarye2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhonimarye2003

I really really want this printed with glow in the dark ink!

john2o01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john2o01

It actually would have to be an atom. The angular momentum of a star body causes all masses orbiting by gravity to align on one plain

sfisk4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfisk4

"So, this is clearly not the model of an atom. "

Actually, while not an entirely correct model of the atom as we understand it under the principals of Quantum Mechanics, it is an accepted model based on the older Rutherfordian concept of an atom...

and... if angular momentum of the central star causes all bodies to orbit on the same plane, explain Pluto... objects recently captured by the central star have not had time to be affected by it's angular momentum and will orbit on their original planes.

In short, the picture is accurate enough for the lay person (aside from the english error in the title). Great tee.

sfisk4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfisk4

Oops! I just nerded all over myself...

spaddock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaddock

I'd order it if it were offered as a long sleeved t-shirt. Why is that never an option these days?

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
spaddock wrote:I'd order it if it were offered as a long sleeved t-shirt. Why is that never an option these days?

I second that. I would love this in a long-sleeved t-shirt.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

Wait! That's no moon!!!

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh

I'm going to take a little closer look at this theory… Thanks for the cool new design Tobe!

StarBob

quality posts: 15 Private Messages StarBob
quantamm wrote:I'm about to go really, really nerdy...

The Bohr atomic model is antiquated but is still used to teach young people the basic ideas behind electron structure. It's easily recognizable by people who have taken chemistry throughout many decades.

And it's entirely possible for orbits to exist outside of the equatorial plane particularly early on in the orbit of objects.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Cool juxtaposition of macro and micro. Looks very wearable too, nice work!

diosynus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diosynus
Thirdbase9 wrote:But aren't strings made up of threads?

That's just a theory.

diosynus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diosynus

... but it's already a print.

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii
diosynus wrote:That's just a theory.

fmtanweer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmtanweer

hey smarty pants, those could still be circular obits depicted
from a point not on the orbital axis of the central body

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to first woot: 3m 36.001s
First sucker:cnwinton
Last wooter to woot:dartmann57
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

First day sales 475
First day posts 27