Ingenious!

thumperchick

quality posts: 239 Private Messages thumperchick

josephdroberts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephdroberts

aaaaagghh the numerical order is all kinds of messed up

theco2

quality posts: 64 Private Messages theco2
thumperchick wrote:This sure is a funny looking table.

Because there are a lot of funny looking Wooters. Just look at their pictures.
<-----

shortman

quality posts: 47 Private Messages shortman

I'm thinking there must be hidden message in there somewhere. It can't just be random for no reason.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

Erbium and Ferminium seem out of place.

lordbowen

quality posts: 245 Private Messages lordbowen

Portable periodic table? I'm in!

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

As a matter of fact, there are elements missing from the very bottom lines of the table, the ones in the 90's

lichme

quality posts: 2870 Private Messages lichme

There was no way this shirt wasn't going to win. The nerd in me is thrilled.

Dunhausen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dunhausen

Get it before it Argon.

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29

There's no distinction between the original 6 noble gasses & the created ones. I'm just trying here...

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA
Tell you what, the first person to point out the aberration will get a special badge in their signature, courtesy of the Woot writing staff.

Well, the obvious flaw is that there are only 98 elements shown, not the 103 that we had growing up or the 110+ that we know of now.

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA
massha10 wrote:Erbium and Ferminium seem out of place.

"Ferminium" would be out of place anywhere because the element's name is "Fermium".

saramwrap

quality posts: 17 Private Messages saramwrap

Commence 3AM stream-of-consciousness ramblings about chemical elements:

Wow, the attention to detail in this pattern is pretty impressive! Each column nominally represents one of the groups/families of the periodic table... though while there are currently 18 recognized groups, this shirt only has 13 columns. So clearly, some stuff gets compressed/shifted - especially those pesky actinides and lanthanides, which even the regular periodic table never seems to know quite what to do with.

So let's see... in the first column, you've got Group 1, the Lithium group (H, Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, Fr). It ends with Ac, though, which starts the actinides. Second column has Group 2, the Beryllium group (Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba, Ra), but then similarly ends with La, which starts the lanthanides. Hrm.

Third column includes Group 3 and Group 4, and it interestingly pulls lutetium (Lu) out of the lanthanides to join them... but misses rutherfordium (which should be right under halfnium). Seriously, I can't find it anywhere. I know it's lab-synthesized, but that's good enough for the periodic table!! Next actinide and lanthanide finish this column.

Similar things in the fourth column - Groups 5 and 6, but we're missing dubnium and seaborgium. Perhaps the artist doesn't like these newfangled lab elements that have been created willy-nilly since the 1960s and 1970s. The column ends with only an actinide this time, and is missing the lanthanide you'd expect (praseodymium).

Fifth column is Groups 7 and 8, but missing their newest members. Ends with an actinide and a lanthanide, because the odd columns have more slots for elements. I found praseodymium, which means the actinides and lanthanides are now offset from their expected positions.

Let's see if I can predict the sixth column! Ok, three from Group 9, three from Group 10, and... just the lanthanide. Clearly I cannot predict this. Seventh column is three from Group 11, three from Group 12, and then TWO lanthanides. I am so confused again. Eighth column is Group 13 plus two ACTINIDES. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Ninth column is Group 14 plus two lanthanides and one actinide. Is this the Fibonacci sequence?! Tenth column is Group 15 plus two actinides because why the heck not? Eleventh column is Group 16 plus two actinides and a lanthanide. My brain is broken, thank god there's just two more columns. Twelve - Group 17, two lanthanides. Thirteen - Group 18 (hallelujah!!) and one each of the lanthanides and actinides.

Whew.

All of the elements over 100 are missing, which is why I couldn't find rutherfordium. We're also missing some of the lanthanides under 100 - specifically, thulium and ytterbium. By the pattern, I guess they would've fallen off the right edge of the shirt. And I still don't get why lutetium is way up in the pattern, or really, on the shirt it all if Tm and Yb are missing? The columns had pretty clear, predictable structure until the bottom, where the actinides and lanthanides are in a confusing pattern. I couldn't discern the significance of the positions of the elements in either of those series, I'd love to know why they are arranged as they are.

It's still a design with clearly a ton of thought behind it, and I can't decide if staring at it for an hour has made me want it more... or want to never see it again because the argyle is driving me INSANE. ;)

Congrats on the win!

atanea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atanea

Missing elements Tm, Yb, Lu, and Md, No, Lr. (69, 70, 71 and 101, 102, 103.) Last 3 of lanthanides and last 3 of actinides.

There's no way they (or any other 3 elements from rows 6 or 7 of the periodic table) would fit on a grid this size. You'd have to expand just the bottom rows somehow.

Wait, there's Lu, all the way up there. This design is making me cross-eyed.

saramwrap

atanea wrote:Missing elements Tm, Yb, Lu, and Md, No, Lr. (69, 70, 71 and 101, 102, 103.) Last 3 of lanthanides and last 3 of actinides.

There's no way they (or any other 3 elements from rows 6 or 7 of the periodic table) would fit on a grid this size. You'd have to expand just the bottom rows somehow.

I agree with the gist of this, but Lu is on the shirt - it's up in the upper left quadrant of the pattern, in a dark diamond with Ca, Ta, and Ti.

Edit: and now I see you've edited to reflect that!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I forgot to put in waldonium. That would have been perfect...

fejacobsen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fejacobsen

Excellent addition to my ever growing periodic table shirt collection. This seems like a good one to wear when meeting with a boss since the argyle is so fancy!

heinricp

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp

How can I possibly not get this for my 2 year old daughter? When will kids size 4 be back in stock?

kittyteaser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kittyteaser

I love the pattern, and it's a great 'period'ic piece.. I wonder if that pattern would look good on my table?

RayKremer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RayKremer

It may be an argyle table of elements, but the periodicity has been absolutely demolished due to the size constraints, and the fact that a proper periodic table spreads out as you go deeper into the elements due to the increasing number of electron orbitals.

I can't comment on the actual placement of things because somebody already did, but I wouldn't want to anyway. It looks like it quickly descends into randomness.

This is interesting in terms of periodic table design:
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2009/04/26/alternative-periodic-tables/

iwantamonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iwantamonkey
saramwrap wrote:Commence 3AM stream-of-consciousness ramblings about chemical elements:

...edited out to save space...

Congrats on the win!

@Saramwrap: Halfway through your post all I could think of was Vizzini from 'The Princess Bride':

"These are newfangled lab elements that have been created since the 1960s and 1970s, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me.
I couldn't find rutherfordium. Because rutherfordium comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
And you must have suspected I would have known the element's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

cschneider

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cschneider

Shirt.woot red shirt here. Are the women's sizes cut differently, like a babydoll tee, or are they just smaller?

saramwrap

iwantamonkey wrote:@Saramwrap: Halfway through your post all I could think of was Vizzini from 'The Princess Bride':

"These are newfangled lab elements that have been created since the 1960s and 1970s, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me.
I couldn't find rutherfordium. Because rutherfordium comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
And you must have suspected I would have known the element's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

I will take this as a compliment about my dizzying intellect.

saramwrap

cschneider wrote:Shirt.woot red shirt here. Are the women's sizes cut differently, like a babydoll tee, or are they just smaller?

They're definitely cut differently. They're boxier than your typical babydoll-cut, but the women's shirts are a bit curvy and shorter than the men's.

JenToTheT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JenToTheT

Nerdgasm!!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
saramwrap wrote:Commence 3AM stream-of-consciousness ramblings about chemical elements:

SNIP!

WOW! I don't know if this was the answer woot was looking for, but I vote you get the "special badge." Reading this with my very limited knowledge of the periodic table made my brain go "kaaabooinng"! Hopefully it will be back to normal soon, or as close to normal as my brain can get.

07/11/14

duffchief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffchief
cschneider wrote:Shirt.woot red shirt here. Are the women's sizes cut differently, like a babydoll tee, or are they just smaller?

As csschneider said, they are definitely different from the men's shirts. One thing not mentioned is the fact that the image is much smaller on the women's shirts than the men's. Sometimes this is a plus and sometimes it isn't. If you wear a size on the smaller end of the women's sizes, you wouldn't want to go with a men's small as the image is too crowded. If you wear a larger women's size, you could definitely go with a men's medium or large and the image would look fine.

lonelypond

quality posts: 424 Private Messages lonelypond

Thanks to @Saramwrap this is a very educational thread. And here's to Shirtwoot!, where periodic tables never go out of fashion (and thanks to benjaminleebates for a darn cool one) : )

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Congrats on the win, benjamin!

saramwrap

caramelarrow wrote:WOW! I don't know if this was the answer woot was looking for, but I vote you get the "special badge." Reading this with my very limited knowledge of the periodic table made my brain go "kaaabooinng"! Hopefully it will be back to normal soon, or as close to normal as my brain can get.

It sort of made my brain go "kaaabooinng" too! I really thought the pattern was predictable until I started poking through it column by column.

Because the periodic table is sort of u-shaped, and this is a solid rectangular block, a lot of the organizational structure that makes the periodic table a reference is a bit lost in the consolidation of periods and groups necessary to make the pattern work. I still like the shirt, but wouldn't be using it as a reference for the properties of the elements!

saramwrap

duffchief wrote:One thing not mentioned is the fact that the image is much smaller on the women's shirts than the men's. Sometimes this is a plus and sometimes it isn't. If you wear a size on the smaller end of the women's sizes, you wouldn't want to go with a men's small as the image is too crowded. If you wear a larger women's size, you could definitely go with a men's medium or large and the image would look fine.

I often buy a range of sizes for myself and friends and family, and I've generally felt that Woot scales the designs pretty well for most of the shirt sizes. If you look at the shirt features for the design sizes:

3X - M, WXL-WL: 12.5” x 18.78”
S, WM-WS, K12 - K8: 9.6“ x 14.5”
K6- K4: 6.5” x 10.0”

I usually wear a L or a WXL, and the design size is the same on both of those. Similarly, I have friends who wear a WM or a S, and the design is the same size for both of those. The only place I feel like it gets sort of ridiculous is on the larger mens sizes, where the design looks smaller and smaller compared to the shirt width.

cinereaste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinereaste
The Carroll scholar who points out the misspelled nonsense word in the Vorpal Sword...

Hey, I recognize myself there!

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot
Pony99CA wrote:"Ferminium" would be out of place anywhere because the element's name is "Fermium".

Okay, but can you explain why Geranium is missing?

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
ginawoot wrote:Okay, but can you explain why Geranium is missing?

It's not in season...
Germanium is tho; located aisle nine, three down.

dfunk29

ginawoot wrote:Okay, but can you explain why Geranium is missing?

I swear I saw it towards the bottom, but that was around 3am.

dfunk29

Has anyone gotten the definite confirmation of the win? I had some "good" ideas last night, around 3am.
Too bad I don't know what they were.

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

saramwrap wrote:

All of the elements over 100 are missing, which is why I couldn't find rutherfordium. We're also missing some of the lanthanides under 100 - specifically, thulium and ytterbium. By the pattern, I guess they would've fallen off the right edge of the shirt. And I still don't get why lutetium is way up in the pattern, or really, on the shirt it all if Tm and Yb are missing? The columns had pretty clear, predictable structure until the bottom, where the actinides and lanthanides are in a confusing pattern. I couldn't discern the significance of the positions of the elements in either of those series, I'd love to know why they are arranged as they are.

Well, saramwrap "wins" the nitpicker contest, if you want to describe it as such. Elements 69 & 70 are omitted for purposes of design and chemistry that lie beyond our meagre understandings. Congrats, saramwrap -- we'll get you a specialty badge tout suite.

shortman

quality posts: 47 Private Messages shortman
skemmis wrote:Well, saramwrap "wins" the nitpicker contest, if you want to describe it as such. Elements 69 & 70 are omitted for purposes of design and chemistry that lie beyond our meagre understandings. Congrats, saramwrap -- we'll get you a specialty badge tout suite.

Before I went to bed last night I read saramwrap's first post and immediately knew who the supreme nitpicker was. Congrats saramwrap.