WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Before the GIF... before the Super Bowl commercial ... before the meme macro ... people communicated their visual information through a medium known as the "Poster." Perhaps you have seen these relics hanging in college dorm rooms or semi-finished basements, but they were once the predominant commercial/artistic form

To celebrate the high-water period of posterdom, we're looking for the best designs inspired by old-school commercialization. These will be printed as t-shirts, not posters (at least, not right away). Find creative ways to break up the "boxiness" of standard posters to make them more t-shirt friendly. Here are a few good examples. 

• Hey, we have creme tees again! Hooray. 

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

Woohoo! Awesome theme.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Perfect way to welcome back creme tees!

JustLikeYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustLikeYou

Oh man! I haven't been around in a very long time, but I'm gonna give this one a shot. I love vintage posters!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm not sure I can resist this theme...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

YES!!!!!!!!!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I once spoofed the popular Woodstock poster for a fake podcast roadshow...it turned out better than I expected. Not sure it would be popular enough for a woot shirt though

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thatrobert wrote:I'm not sure I can resist this theme...

Please don't resist.

Customer Service: Use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
ThunderThighs wrote:Please don't resist.

If I had a dollar for every time i'd said that....

Nothing follows.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

I'm in like Dr. Quinn (medicine woman)...

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

Welcome back, Creme! We've missed you around here.

07/11/14

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's my silly entry:

KEEP CALM ETC. by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

based on this guy. More to add to the design later...

c0y0te7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c0y0te7

Cool! This could be my first participation.

oakenspirit

ApeLad wrote:Here's my silly entry:

KEEP CALM ETC. by Ape Lad, on Flickr

If you're gonna do it- this is the best way-

oakenspirit

Enedlhach wrote:This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

based on this guy. More to add to the design later...

I like the idea but you may need a tad more from the art- example, the arms are kind of awkward, as is the bumpy chest. I also think replacing the GUINNESS with something from the game would add some humor- like say a star, mushroom, or that fruit Yoshi always eats. Hope that helps- Can't wait to see how it ends up- Big fan of old irish beer art!

oakenspirit

Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

I see LIES!

Enedlhach

oakenspirit wrote:I like the idea but you may need a tad more from the art- example, the arms are kind of awkward, as is the bumpy chest. I also think replacing the GUINNESS with something from the game would add some humor- like say a star, mushroom, or that fruit Yoshi always eats. Hope that helps- Can't wait to see how it ends up- Big fan of old irish beer art!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning to add more in and replace the Guinness with something game related.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

This is so well done. The halftone treatment is just right ;)

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

This is so great!

Enedlhach

Here's the final draft.

background or not?

The 6 color limit made the background hard.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Enedlhach wrote:Here's the final draft.

background or not?

Hard to say. Some background is needed, but currently, there isn't enough contrast between the yoshi and the buildings, so it gets lost in a wall of green.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22

I love this theme.

oakenspirit

Enedlhach wrote:Here's the final draft.

background or not?

I agree- Yoshi gets a little lost with it as is- mayhaps putting some of the shirt color and having a few red roofs could break it up more- Backgrounds are often my bane- heh

oakenspirit

Thanks Omar and ape- ;) Been trying to tone down my CRAZY HALFTONE USE- heh. Glad you like it-

@ben...

Yup- I am still bitter we aren't in space yet- ;)

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22

[quote postid="5727216" user="Enedlhach"]This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

Love it.

Enedlhach

Mavyn wrote:Hard to say. Some background is needed, but currently, there isn't enough contrast between the yoshi and the buildings, so it gets lost in a wall of green.

Thanks for the comments, I added a little more shading to help it out. I think I should have done something with less of a bg.

bzbozo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzbozo

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/77212/the-sound-of-the-fox

what do you guys think of the drawing aspect of this?

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury

I suspect I'll have to see how well my idea reads without a caption: two male legs in trousers on one side of the layout, cropped from the thigh down to shiny dress shoes. Surrounding these, dozens of redheads wearing torn-off white two-piece outfits, none taller than the man's knees, throwing spears and shooting arrows at the legs towering above them. If the phrase "Attack of the Fifty Foot-Women" doesn't actually appear on the shirt, do you think it'll pass muster?