WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Before the GIF... before the Super Bowl commercial ... before the meme macro ... people communicated their visual information through a medium known as the "Poster." Perhaps you have seen these relics hanging in college dorm rooms or semi-finished basements, but they were once the predominant commercial/artistic form

To celebrate the high-water period of posterdom, we're looking for the best designs inspired by old-school commercialization. These will be printed as t-shirts, not posters (at least, not right away). Find creative ways to break up the "boxiness" of standard posters to make them more t-shirt friendly. Here are a few good examples. 

• Hey, we have creme tees again! Hooray. 

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow

Woohoo! Awesome theme.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 272 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Perfect way to welcome back creme tees!

JustLikeYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustLikeYou

Oh man! I haven't been around in a very long time, but I'm gonna give this one a shot. I love vintage posters!

thatrobert

quality posts: 44 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm not sure I can resist this theme...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 47 Private Messages omarfeliciano

YES!!!!!!!!!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I once spoofed the popular Woodstock poster for a fake podcast roadshow...it turned out better than I expected. Not sure it would be popular enough for a woot shirt though

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 929 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thatrobert wrote:I'm not sure I can resist this theme...

Please don't resist.

Holiday Returns Policy Check out our new FLASH DEALS
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

taternuggets

quality posts: 26 Private Messages taternuggets
ThunderThighs wrote:Please don't resist.

If I had a dollar for every time i'd said that....

Nothing follows.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 113 Private Messages oakenspirit

I'm in like Dr. Quinn (medicine woman)...

caramelarrow

quality posts: 18 Private Messages caramelarrow

Welcome back, Creme! We've missed you around here.

07/11/14

ApeLad

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's my silly entry:

KEEP CALM ETC. by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

based on this guy. More to add to the design later...

c0y0te7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c0y0te7

Cool! This could be my first participation.

oakenspirit

ApeLad wrote:Here's my silly entry:

KEEP CALM ETC. by Ape Lad, on Flickr

If you're gonna do it- this is the best way-

oakenspirit

Enedlhach wrote:This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

based on this guy. More to add to the design later...

I like the idea but you may need a tad more from the art- example, the arms are kind of awkward, as is the bumpy chest. I also think replacing the GUINNESS with something from the game would add some humor- like say a star, mushroom, or that fruit Yoshi always eats. Hope that helps- Can't wait to see how it ends up- Big fan of old irish beer art!

oakenspirit

Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 15 Private Messages benjaminleebates
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

I see LIES!

Enedlhach

oakenspirit wrote:I like the idea but you may need a tad more from the art- example, the arms are kind of awkward, as is the bumpy chest. I also think replacing the GUINNESS with something from the game would add some humor- like say a star, mushroom, or that fruit Yoshi always eats. Hope that helps- Can't wait to see how it ends up- Big fan of old irish beer art!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning to add more in and replace the Guinness with something game related.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 47 Private Messages omarfeliciano
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I came up with- I'm pretty happy with it but if you see anything glaring, I'll have a little time to play around with it before launchtime... Thoughts?

This is so well done. The halftone treatment is just right ;)

ApeLad

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ApeLad

This is so great!

Enedlhach

Here's the final draft.

background or not?

The 6 color limit made the background hard.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn
Enedlhach wrote:Here's the final draft.

background or not?

Hard to say. Some background is needed, but currently, there isn't enough contrast between the yoshi and the buildings, so it gets lost in a wall of green.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22

I love this theme.

oakenspirit

Enedlhach wrote:Here's the final draft.

background or not?

I agree- Yoshi gets a little lost with it as is- mayhaps putting some of the shirt color and having a few red roofs could break it up more- Backgrounds are often my bane- heh

oakenspirit

Thanks Omar and ape- ;) Been trying to tone down my CRAZY HALFTONE USE- heh. Glad you like it-

@ben...

Yup- I am still bitter we aren't in space yet- ;)

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22

[quote postid="5727216" user="Enedlhach"]This is what I have so far. I am trying to do it in the style of the guinness posters so I don't think it will be too much like the copyrighted Yoshi. I haven't done too many designs here so let me know.

Love it.

Enedlhach

Mavyn wrote:Hard to say. Some background is needed, but currently, there isn't enough contrast between the yoshi and the buildings, so it gets lost in a wall of green.

Thanks for the comments, I added a little more shading to help it out. I think I should have done something with less of a bg.

bzbozo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzbozo

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/77212/the-sound-of-the-fox

what do you guys think of the drawing aspect of this?

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury

I suspect I'll have to see how well my idea reads without a caption: two male legs in trousers on one side of the layout, cropped from the thigh down to shiny dress shoes. Surrounding these, dozens of redheads wearing torn-off white two-piece outfits, none taller than the man's knees, throwing spears and shooting arrows at the legs towering above them. If the phrase "Attack of the Fifty Foot-Women" doesn't actually appear on the shirt, do you think it'll pass muster?