WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Kids' books are great! They're like grown-up books with fewer of the boring parts (the words) and more of the good stuff (pictures)! But it seems like there's always some some movie producer or artist who wants to gut a children's book just to make a little bit of money. Well, for those guys, we've got 7 simple words: "How do we get in on that?" 

• No crème.
  • Be careful referencing existing characters and titles. We will reject at our discretion. 

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

This is an awesome theme!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

An embarrassment of riches. I don't know what to start with. Fun theme.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

So many ideas...ugh, I hate having to pick because I'm always afraid I'll pick the wrong one.

EDIT: Googling shows that one of them has been done already. Well, that helps a lot.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

NONONONO- I might have to sit out this week and this is the best theme EVER-

I'll see if I can crank something out-

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

Fun theme. I am assuming there are Dr. Suess shirts to ensue.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

So, should titles be "Inspired by X"?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

You guys.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
agingdragqueen wrote:You guys.

I was thinking more like twilight.

Nothing follows.

tbolt86

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbolt86

My first thought:

My second thought: Is Harry Potter a Children's Book, or are we separating picture books from older children's fiction (since Twilight was mentioned)?

agingdragqueen

Staff

tbolt86 wrote:My first thought:

My second thought: Is Harry Potter a Children's Book, or are we separating picture books from older children's fiction (since Twilight was mentioned)?

LULZ

I think tater was joking about Twilight (I hope), but not totally sure on HP, but I definitely consider it a children's book. Just be careful, they are highly protected characters.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
tbolt86 wrote:My first thought:

Harry Potter, Twilight, Divergent, The Hobbit, all considered children's books and all sitting on my bookshelf in my classroom. So, fair game?

pepsivanilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepsivanilla

This is the most excited a derby theme has ever made me. I'm looking forward to seeing way too many things that want to part me from my cash!

taternuggets

agingdragqueen wrote:LULZ

I think tater was joking about Twilight (I hope), but not totally sure on HP, but I definitely consider it a children's book. Just be careful, they are highly protected characters.

I was kidding about twilight but now fishbiscuit wants it in. so, that's not on me.

Nothing follows.

fishbiscuit5

taternuggets wrote:I was kidding about twilight but now fishbiscuit wants it in. so, that's not on me.

I'm not going to feel whole unless I get to draw sparkly vampires.

taternuggets

fishbiscuit5 wrote:I'm not going to feel whole unless I get to draw sparkly vampires.

I've found that "sparkly" is tricky.

Advice to any newcomers.... I've never seen a NIMH shirt get past the hammer at woot.

Nothing follows.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Harry Potter, Twilight, Divergent, The Hobbit, all considered children's books and all sitting on my bookshelf in my classroom. So, fair game?

Twilight and Divergent are kind of the definition of YA novels, aren't they?

fishbiscuit5

Spiritgreen wrote:Twilight and Divergent are kind of the definition of YA novels, aren't they?

Both are on a 4th grade reading level and considered YA or Children's fiction. I don't really want to draw sparkly vampires. ;)

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Both are on a 4th grade reading level and considered YA or Children's fiction. I don't really want to draw sparkly vampires. ;)

Why is twilight sitting on any shelf in any school for any age?

agingdragqueen

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Twilight and Divergent are kind of the definition of YA novels, aren't they?

YA is a different category than children. I think HP can be both Young Adult and Children's Lit because it can appeal to both, Twilight on the other hand would not be suitable for children. We're talking more about young childrens' books. Maybe I should wait for tgentry & skemmis to come back and clarify for real.

fishbiscuit5

ste7enl wrote:Why is twilight sitting on any shelf in any school for any age?

Because all the library copies are always checked out.

fishbiscuit5

agingdragqueen wrote:YA is a different category than children. I think HP can be both Young Adult and Children's Lit because it can appeal to both, Twilight on the other hand would not be suitable for children. We're talking more about young childrens' books. Maybe I should wait for tgentry & skemmis to come back and clarify for real.

Taternuggets started it!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Maybe there should be a mashup of Curious George and Georgie the ghost...

George was a good little ghost monkey and lived up in the little attic of a little house.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I don't really want to draw sparkly vampires. ;)

I wouldn't mind if you did. (but the Rejectionator might not agree)

taternuggets

bluetuba wrote:

Wait, apples poop?

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Taternuggets started it!

As a public service to alert the authorities. ;)

Nothing follows.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Let's skew younger on this one. If it's found in the young adult section (Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc) let's leave it out.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Here's a first draft of an idea I'm playing with. I'm not sure if it will fly or not...

Thoughts?

design2heart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages design2heart

Hm, I didn't have any chance to read children's book.

What the heck did I do when I was a kid?

MrBignell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrBignell
jessisima wrote:Here's a first draft of an idea I'm playing with. I'm not sure if it will fly or not...

Thoughts?

Very cute, but I feel GOT is done to death on shirt sites.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

I expect to see some good catshirts, but I do need to remind that The Cat in the Box has been done already.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
jessisima wrote:Here's a first draft of an idea I'm playing with. I'm not sure if it will fly or not...

Thoughts?

I had the exact same idea. I'm glad you decided to make it, I have something else in the works. Maybe change the font to something more Dr. Seuss like

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

One of my favorite series in grade school, many eons ago.

Thoughts?

MrBignell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrBignell

I love this topic. I want to stay up all night to work on the design, but alas, I have a day job.

Any thoughts so far on this design? It's just a start, but you can see the concept. Please excuse my placeholders .

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester
taternuggets wrote:Wait, apples poop?

Wait, do they? Suddenly I'm too creeped out to eat apples any more.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

I tried to do something different this week

fishbiscuit5

taternuggets wrote:As a public service to alert the authorities. ;)

Ditto. ;)

wootdude5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdude5

Just to put it out, Horton Hears a (Dr) Who is done already - I cant figure out how to download the image onto here though.

jimw00t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimw00t
bluetuba wrote:

How do apples poop?

jimw00t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimw00t
jimw00t wrote:How do apples poop?

sorry, didn't see Tater's similar comment...now I'm a bit worried ;)