no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
marceepauff wrote:FWIW, I got here because of the community. I stayed because of the community. I don't know what it was like "before" because I've only been paying attention to shirt.woot for the last year or so, but it's not *that* bad now. Would I like more community participation? Sure! Am I disappointed in some of the derby trends? YES! But overall, it's still a tight knit community of a lot of awesome people.

"a lot" relative to what?

derby #50: derby thread: 8 pages; comments thread: 36 pages; hm thread: 15 comments

derby #100: derby thread: 10 pages; comments thread: 70 pages; hm thread: 27 comments

derby #150: derby thread: 6 pages; comments thread: 22 pages; hm thread: 9 comments

derby #200: derby thread: 5 pages; comments thread: 33 pages; hm thread: 16 comments

derby #250: derby thread: 5 pages; comments thread: 24 pages; hm thread: 9 comments

derby #300: (this one awarded a cintiq) derby thread: 4 pages; comments thread: 18 pages; hm thread (combining #296-#301): 8 comments

derby #350: derby thread: 3 pages; comments thread: 7 pages; hm thread (combined with #349): 16 comments

(note i didna double check my numbers, so there could be some errors here and there.)

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
no1 wrote:derby #300: (this one awarded a cintiq) derby thread: 4 pages; comments thread: 18 pages; hm thread (combining #296-#301): 8 comments

2 cintiqs. ;)

Nothing follows.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
BootsBoots wrote:... I feel like I should address the "what does shirt woot need topic" now, but I'm not sure I have anything new to add. I guess I can say that I don't really like the designs that are being printed as much as I used to. I don't think they're bad or anything, they're just not so much my personal taste. ...

Personal tastes has a lot to do with both the designs (and the blanks). For every "yay, moar catshirts", there's someone else with "not another catshirt!" too.

taternuggets wrote:People just rarely comment anymore... it's hard to get any drama rolling when nobody comments on the shirts. A lot of the drama left when Ramyb did... he was kind of the one you love to hate. At least for me... I used to give him grief all the time and now I can admit that I miss him...lol. But then again, I miss King Joffrey also.

I agree with you that the lack of community participation has really dampened things around here.

The drama was disappearing for some time before he fully stopped participating here, as he disassociated with what's-her-thief, his designs got less bunny-oriented, there was more variety, more attention to details, and he was even being helpful sharing his techniques - with one exception, the grammar thread, which we don't need a redux of.

Nowadays - puppet accounts. That seems to be the drama we have, what with (2) of the fogged derby entries being rejected earlier today for "voting irregularities" ...

no1

Narfcake wrote:Nowadays - puppet accounts. That seems to be the drama we have, what with (2) of the fogged derby entries being rejected earlier today for "voting irregularities" ...

there used to be a lot of accusations of puppetry when ramyb and she who will not be named were around, but i don't recall rejections for voting irregularity before now. i wonder what happened ...

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond
no1 wrote:there used to be a lot of accusations of puppetry when ramyb and she who will not be named were around, but i don't recall rejections for voting irregularity before now. i wonder what happened ...

yep.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Narfcake wrote:Nowadays - puppet accounts. That seems to be the drama we have, what with (2) of the fogged derby entries being rejected earlier today for "voting irregularities" ...

Yeah, the puppet account accusations constantly seem to pop up, although the rejected designs weren't by any of the people usually accused of puppetry.

There does tend to be drama when designers are caught using stolen or clip art (or in the most recent case 3-D renders), so that's always fun to watch.

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
no1 wrote:"a lot" relative to what?

I revoke my comment and resubmit using the word "many"...or, perhaps, "several".

As a side note, I'm not going to bother going through all the threads - I can't deny that participation has dropped off (which is why I called for more participation - the only thing WE can control) but I will say that a vocal few posting comment after comment can also drive up comment and page counts - it doesn't necessarily mean there were more people participating - just more vocal people. *shrug*

numchux9000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages numchux9000
tjschaeffer wrote:Yeah, the puppet account accusations constantly seem to pop up, although the rejected designs weren't by any of the people usually accused of puppetry.

feelinggroovy is likely a lyonscc alt account, so while the feelinggroovy account doesn't get accused of puppetry, the person controlling it does.

[edit-i need to read more good]

Narfcake

marceepauff wrote:... but I will say that a vocal few posting comment after comment can also drive up comment and page counts - it doesn't necessarily mean there were more people participating - just more vocal people. *shrug*

I think I have posts on all but 3 pages in the mega Anvil thread.

tjschaeffer

numchux9000 wrote:feelinggroovy is likely a lyonscc alt account, so while the feelinggroovy account doesn't get accused of puppetry, the person controlling it does.

[edit-i need to read more good]

Well, I wasn't really referring to that, more to the fact that every derby there are other artists who seem to be accused of malfeasance. And I'd prefer not to comment on whether it is a puppet account because I think such accusations against someone should be backed up with objective evidence.

tjschaeffer

Narfcake wrote:I think I have posts on all but 3 pages in the mega Anvil thread.

You clearly were not trying hard enough!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

BootsBoots wrote:
I also miss the drama that there used to be here. I'm not sure where it went. Maybe the comments are too heavily moderated now? Maybe everyone's all mellow from the marijuana legalization? Maybe it was all just Adder? I don't know, but I liked the drama.

taternuggets wrote:People just rarely comment anymore... it's hard to get any drama rolling when nobody comments on the shirts. A lot of the drama left when Ramyb did... he was kind of the one you love to hate. At least for me... I used to give him grief all the time and now I can admit that I miss him...lol. But then again, I miss King Joffrey also.

I agree with you that the lack of community participation has really dampened things around here.

I became a volmod because I loved woot forums drama and being in illusory control of it and having the power to stomp all over wooters' First Amendment Rights(TM) whilst grandly mocking all with my power abuse. I assure you that comments are definitely not heavily moderated. No need. There just ain't much of anything to censor or oppress or taunt nowadays. Very frowny pained sadfacing here, yo. I'll continue to lurk in eternal hope 'til they kick me out, though.

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
goldenthorn wrote:I became a volmod because I loved woot forums drama and being in illusory control of it and having the power to stomp all over wooters' First Amendment Rights(TM) whilst grandly mocking all with my power abuse. I assure you that comments are definitely not heavily moderated. No need. There just ain't much of anything to censor or oppress or taunt nowadays. Very frowny pained sadfacing here, yo. I'll continue to lurk in eternal hope 'til they kick me out, though.

████ YOU GOLDENTHORN.
Moderate that, █████es!!!!

*wonders what woot's censor will make this read...*

no1

goldenthorn wrote:I became a volmod because I loved woot forums drama and being in illusory control of it and having the power to stomp all over wooters' First Amendment Rights(TM) whilst grandly mocking all with my power abuse. I assure you that comments are definitely not heavily moderated. No need.

...is adder chained in your basement?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
no1 wrote:...is adder chained in your basement?

Are you offering to provide him with a companion?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

no1

Mavyn wrote:Are you offering to provide him with a companion?

... maaaaaabe ...

... what's your address?

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
marceepauff wrote:████ YOU GOLDENTHORN.
Moderate that, █████es!!!!

*wonders what woot's censor will make this read...*

Even woot's censor is boring these days.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
SunnyLea0 wrote:Even woot's censor is boring these days.

I agree. I remember when they would rotate through everything from star wars references to nonsensical goofiness.

Now we just a black sensor bar. Kinda dull and unimaginative if you ask me.

sclark89

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sclark89

I stopped buying Woot shirts for three reasons.
1. The blanks. The AA shirts are the best fitting shirts I've ever worn. The Anvil don't have that same fit at all.
2. Quality Control. I've never had any problems with the shirts, but a few close friends have had numerous issues, and that scares me off.
3. Lost confidence in customer service.

Narfcake

bluejester wrote:I agree. I remember when they would rotate through everything from star wars references to nonsensical goofiness. ...

The Animaniacs word filter was my favorite.

sclark89 wrote:I stopped buying Woot shirts for three reasons. ...

IMHO, the biggest turnoff is the quality - the customer shouldn't be the one doing the quality control ... except we are. Resolve that, and in turn, the need to contact customer service will be greatly reduced.

There are three other shirt sites which I frequent (30+ shirts) - DBH, GoodJoe, and TeeTurtle - and I can count on one cartoon hand the number of times I've had to contact their CS. Total, for all three.

I can't say the same with Woot, especially considering these are more recent issues and I've been ordering much less (aka when on AA) than I was in the past.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Hey all! Long time since I've posted, but I saw this here and I thought it was a good time to talk about my own feelings.

The first reason I started getting mild on Shirt.Woot was (drum roll please), the Anvil blanks. I gave them a fair shot and bought quite a few. But, I find that I will rummage through my shirts to find my older AA models rather than wear my newer Anvils. The Anvils just...I'm sorry they fit so poorly on me. My older, faded, cracked-print American Apparels are still more appealing to wear. As an artist, I am reluctant to give them art to print if I know the resulting product is going to look bad on me. :\

Second, when the blanks changed, the community was affected badly. So many people I liked and interacted with weekly just up and left. That was a big morale hit, as the community was a huge part of why I enjoyed it here. I'm not sure if people have returned full tilt or not, as I've still been a bit absent. But during that time, it felt so empty that I just stopped thinking about the site for a good while.

Next, the pop culture has been a huge turn off of the derby for me. Every time I do pop in, I see the same things. Good designs fall by the way in favor of the same jokes about the same properties. I liked it so much more when pop cult was a rarity. We tended to get better pop cult designs, because people had this built up hunger for them. The rest of the time, we had really interesting or cute original ideas. Now though, people seem to be defaulting to the same ol'. Makes the derby a lot less fun to pop in and look at, let alone compete in. I like pop cult, I own it, I make it. But the derby was one of the places I wanted it to stay mostly out of.

Lastly, I agree that the community has lost a lot of it's thunder. Whether it's because certain members left, or rules aren't being enforced evenly, everything feels a bit 'off'. Part of what I enjoyed was the tightness (or at least the familiarity) of the people here. When a lot of key members started leaving or not participating, it took some air of out the derby, at least for me.

But, I'm afraid the #1 for me is still the blanks. I cannot, for the life of me, get those Anvils to look decent. I still wear my Woots from my first months here way back, but I try to not wear ones I got recently.

In short, here's what I'd like in order to feel more excitement about Shirt.Woot again.

1) Bringing back quality blanks. I dont want my art on shirts that I don't want to wear myself.

2) Put the derby rules and algorithms back to how they were at the height of the derby's popularity!!! Quit messing with the hotness, make it so it shows the gain in votes like it used to. People get excited to see a shirt rocket upwards, etc. Bring back sort by recent so new designs get seen.

3) Encouraging more creativity, less same-y same art. We have enough Totoro, Cookie Monster, and ninja turtles. I hate to pull an Adder, but it makes the derby feel like a contest of who can out-lazy one another for the same joke.

4) Build the desire for artists and members to return. Sometimes pay and goodies aren't what people want. They want the experience, the interaction, and the quality they loved back

I do miss it here a lot and Im so glad to see a lot of y'all still here. If Shirt.Woot ever does any of this, I'd be thrilled to come rollin in with my cute mouse art huurrhurrr. Stay strong! Maybe something will happen!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

well said Bass. I'll chime in as well.

I stopped derbying about 3 years ago, which I think was before the AA/Anvil switch. And mostly because I didn't feel my taste and style of shirt design was popular enough to print, due to the voter interest in cartoony/anime designs. (which isn't in my wheelhouse). And before long I had a huge library of shirt designs with no home. Felt like a lot of wasted effort.

But I did miss woot and returned recently to give it another go. And wow, have times changed here!

My favorite part of the derby was the feedback and comment threads for derby entries. How passionate people got about shirt designs. The respect between the artists. Etc... It's a shame that the community is such a fraction of what it used to be. 150-250 votes to win (when I was here last you needed around 1,000 at least). A lot of shirts in the fog only have 3-5 comments (or less). I've been trying to read through the forums to see what happened over the last few years, and it looks like a combination of a lot of factors. And you guys have covered that pretty well, and offered up suggestions to fix it.

There are some things about woot that still work for me, and are different than other sites. I really enjoy getting the theme on Thursday and having 1 night to come up with an idea and design. I know you can submit later than Friday, but seems that's the best chance at winning. And it really is fun to know that a community of other artists are out there on Thursday nights doing the same thing as you. And then Friday comes and you get to see what everyone came up with.

I also love following my favorite artists and learning, and being inspired from their skills. There are a few of them still participating, and some new ones I really like.

If I could change up the rules, I'd have the top 3 stay the same (voter totals)... but have Monday and Tuesday be Editor's Choice picks from the derby. That way, you don't have to pander to the voters to get a print. AND you don't have to develop a huge following to be popular enough for votes. I think it would encourage more creativity, and risk-taking for the artists.

I know there was a variation of this tried, but I wasn't around to see how it worked out.

Anyway... this is getting long so I'll wrap it up.

I decided to do my part with complimenting and giving feedback to designs I like each week. (and votes) And I'll also enter the derby when I have time. I hope the community can build back up... and great artists like Bass and Boots (and lots of others) come back and join in the fun. For old times sake

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
bassanimation wrote:1) Bringing back quality blanks. I dont want my art on shirts that I don't want to wear myself.

2) Put the derby rules and algorithms back to how they were at the height of the derby's popularity!!! Quit messing with the hotness, make it so it shows the gain in votes like it used to. People get excited to see a shirt rocket upwards, etc. Bring back sort by recent so new designs get seen.

3) Encouraging more creativity, less same-y same art. We have enough Totoro, Cookie Monster, and ninja turtles. I hate to pull an Adder, but it makes the derby feel like a contest of who can out-lazy one another for the same joke.

4) Build the desire for artists and members to return. Sometimes pay and goodies aren't what people want. They want the experience, the interaction, and the quality they loved back

Thanks for the awesome post Bass! You boiled it down to the basics. I've just recently started participating again. I'd like to expound upon your excellent points:

1. I don't think Woot could handle another full blank change without further fallout. There are some people who prefer the new ones or are customers who have joined since they switched. It would be cool for Woot to at least make AA an option for buying shirts after the 1st day. This way the artists and other shirt connoisseurs can get what they like without messing up the current production model.

2. Default Sort-by-Recent should definitely be implemented. As it is, despite lackluster voting participation, it is more important than ever to enter first thing Friday. I'm not sure how the Hotness works now? It doesn't work like it always did? That must have been something that changed while I was gone.

3. What you're really saying is bringing back more derby rules, more rule enforcement, and more rejections. All good things but that take a level of participation that Woot has backed out of (I'm guessing due to cost cutting, etc?)

4. "Build the desire to return" also comes down to Woot's participation level. Blog activity, forum activity, weekly Honorable Mentions, etc.

Boil all that down and, beyond the blank change, Woot needs to either hire more people or empower volunteers to do much more than they've been able to do up until now.

taternuggets

thatrobert wrote:2. Default Sort-by-Recent should definitely be implemented. As it is, despite lackluster voting participation, it is more important than ever to enter first thing Friday. I'm not sure how the Hotness works now? It doesn't work like it always did? That must have been something that changed while I was gone.

The hotness was pretty much the same as it is now except in addition to the total votes, you saw the amount the shirt had gotten in the last 3 hours.

Nothing follows.

Mavyn

I feel compelled to chime in regarding fewer comments.

Yes, there are fewer comments. A lot of the comments before were vitriol and mudslinging, and while I have a fine appreciation for both, I can't say I 'miss' them. But I don't think that having bunches of 'drivel' posts will help anything either. I quit reading the Derby Comments thread because there ends up being at least a page worth of 'gee this is nice' trite comments from a few people. Boring, not worth responding to. I respect the artists who take the time to reply to each one of those, because wow, it's tedious.

My own comments lately have been limited to offering pointers to some of the new artists, and given that 95% of them are seen as sniping or completely ignored...well, my limited 'surf time' gets spent elsewhere. Life is too short.

thatrobert

taternuggets wrote:The hotness was pretty much the same as it is now except in addition to the total votes, you saw the amount the shirt had gotten in the last 3 hours.

Ok. But is the calculation of what shows up in the hotness still what has been voted on most in the last 3 hours?

taternuggets

thatrobert wrote:Ok. But is the calculation of what shows up in the hotness still what has been voted on most in the last 3 hours?

Yeah, it's still the same.. you just can't see the vote count.

Nothing follows.

thatrobert

taternuggets wrote:Yeah, it's still the same.. you just can't see the vote count.

Because it's usually one.

no1

skirochester wrote:If I could change up the rules, I'd have the top 3 stay the same (voter totals)... but have Monday and Tuesday be Editor's Choice picks from the derby. That way, you don't have to pander to the voters to get a print. AND you don't have to develop a huge following to be popular enough for votes. I think it would encourage more creativity, and risk-taking for the artists.

I know there was a variation of this tried, but I wasn't around to see how it worked out.

my admittedly unreliable impression is that there was a voting dropoff when they had 1st=votes, 2nd&3rd were editors/guest picks. i think some said this had the effect of diluting the incentive to vote (since an entry had only one-third the chance of getting printed by voterage). however, my further hazy impression is that voterage didn't recover when the print-the-top-three-in-votes policy was reinstated. your wrinkle on the scheme would maintain three print-by-votes, but would woot be willing to sell five days' worth of a single derby theme every week, especially considering the 3rd place shirt may sell only a few hundred these days?

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond
Mavyn wrote:I feel compelled to chime in regarding fewer comments.
... I quit reading the Derby Comments thread because there ends up being at least a page worth of 'gee this is nice' trite comments from a few people. Boring, not worth responding to. I respect the artists who take the time to reply to each one of those, because wow, it's tedious.

Better some positive energy than a dead zone of silence, I think. I like to take some time when I can and acknowledge some of the low vote getters in a derby that I like the style of to encourage the artists. People's take on art is very subjective so I don't weigh in with serious critical thinking, technical adjustments or commentaries since I am not being graded, paid or published ; )

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
no1 wrote:my admittedly unreliable impression is that there was a voting dropoff when they had 1st=votes, 2nd&3rd were editors/guest picks. i think some said this had the effect of diluting the incentive to vote (since an entry had only one-third the chance of getting printed by voterage). however, my further hazy impression is that voterage didn't recover when the print-the-top-three-in-votes policy was reinstated. your wrinkle on the scheme would maintain three print-by-votes, but would woot be willing to sell five days' worth of a single derby theme every week, especially considering the 3rd place shirt may sell only a few hundred these days?

I think out of the over 100 shirts submitted for every derby, there would be 5 worthy of a print... and that would sell. Just because a shirt got the 3rd most votes, doesn't mean it would be the 3rd best seller. But even if just Monday was an editors pick from the derby, at least you (as an artist) would have some hope that you could print regardless of your popularity. And would make it much more exciting each week if you don't have a shirt in the fog.

And as far as comments for shirt designs... I'm sure I'm not the only artist out there who appreciates every single post. (even if it's just a 'nice job') Especially if you're not going to print, it's nice knowing that at least someone liked and appreciated what you came up with that week. It also created some connections between the voters and the artists.

Mavyn

lonelypond wrote:Better some positive energy than a dead zone of silence, I think. I like to take some time when I can and acknowledge some of the low vote getters in a derby that I like the style of to encourage the artists. People's take on art is very subjective so I don't weigh in with serious critical thinking, technical adjustments or commentaries since I am not being graded, paid or published ; )

I get that--but when there's a row of 20 'nice shirt' comments, even though they are for 20 different shirts, it's not engaging. Spacing them out 3-4 per day, would accomplish the same thing without creating a massive 'scroll by' in the thread.

no1

skirochester wrote:I think out of the over 100 shirts submitted for every derby, there would be 5 worthy of a print... and that would sell. Just because a shirt got the 3rd most votes, doesn't mean it would be the 3rd best seller. But even if just Monday was an editors pick from the derby, at least you (as an artist) would have some hope that you could print regardless of your popularity. And would make it much more exciting each week if you don't have a shirt in the fog.

this is true; however when they did editor's choice for 2nd (sometimes 3rd) place, often (but not always!) the editors just made the same choices as the 2nd/3rd place vote getters. so the voters only got to pick one spot and the choices didn't change what printed much anyway.

i believe "theme fatigue" mite be a factor after 5 strait days of a theme, too.

thatrobert

no1 wrote:this is true; however when they did editor's choice for 2nd (sometimes 3rd) place, often (but not always!) the editors just made the same choices as the 2nd/3rd place vote getters. so the voters only got to pick one spot and the choices didn't change what printed much anyway.

I definitely agree about "theme fatigue". One thing Woot said they would do and rarely ever did was surprise ECs. When someone truly brings their A-game and the voters want the meme shirt anyway, Woot can reward that artist with a print.

Narfcake

no1 wrote:this is true; however when they did editor's choice for 2nd (sometimes 3rd) place, often (but not always!) the editors just made the same choices as the 2nd/3rd place vote getters. so the voters only got to pick one spot and the choices didn't change what printed much anyway.

The Woot editors leaned that way more often than not, but having been guest editor before, the fogged vote counts were hidden just as it was for anyone else. If the guest editor 3rd place ended up 3rd in vote counts too, it was purely coincidental.

I agree here. Some themes may do well (catshirts ), but others maybe not.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

When they ran out of Royal Blue anvils and switched back to AA temporarily, a lot of wooters weren't happy with the switch back. So as discussed, at this point if you wanted to offer AA, an blank option would be necessary. Or maybe just switch often enough that no one pays attention anymore.

I think if Woot wants voters to return, they need to get rid of most of these new sites (tech, home, sport, accessories), and dump the plus sales (though the shirt sales are nice since shirts are actually a woot product).

Woot was one thing a day. You'd look at it, you'd actually HOPE it was something you'd want to spend money on. Then lots of these folks would check out the derby. It would all take about 3 minutes of your day. 4 if you read the write ups (and you should).

Now visitors are pummeled with ungodly amounts of product, and rather than spend the time to sift through it all, they shop showing up all together (and thus don't check out the derby either).

I should add that none of this will guarantee the return of voters. Woot had a cult-like following, which many many companies have failed to replicate. For Woot to build it twice would be very impressive.

no1

Narfcake wrote:The Woot editors leaned that way more often than not, but having been guest editor before, the fogged vote counts were hidden just as it was for anyone else. If the guest editor 3rd place ended up 3rd in vote counts too, it was purely coincidental.

i agree here. i distinguish "editors" from "guest editors." the guest pickers' choices were (to me at least) mostly delightfully off-the-wall. the road less traveled.

no1

kevlar51 wrote:Now visitors are pummeled with ungodly amounts of product, and rather than spend the time to sift through it all, they shop showing up all together (and thus don't check out the derby either).

idk about any1 else, but part of what kept me coming back to the old woot.com was the thought that i'd miss something good. however, now it feels like if i miss some item for sale i can just wait for it to show up again in another day or two on another part of the site. it's lost its sense of urgency.

kevlar51 wrote:I should add that none of this will guarantee the return of voters. Woot had a cult-like following, which many many companies have failed to replicate. For Woot to build it twice would be very impressive.

even harder to catch lightning in a bottle with the current plethora of shirt sites (as mentioned previously by someone else).

Mavyn

kevlar51 wrote:...It would all take about 3 minutes of your day. 4 if you read the write ups (and you should)...

I've mostly quit reading the write ups. This makes me sad, but it annoys the heck out of me to have a 'snippet' on the page that I then have to click and wait for it to load to continue reading. Yeah, it's just a few seconds, and really I'm not THAT easily distracted, but it ticks me off as a designer. When you build web designs, you put the top things that people are going to want on the first place they look. You don't make them click through-click throughs are where you lose people.

Narfcake

kevlar51 wrote:When they ran out of Royal Blue anvils and switched back to AA temporarily, a lot of wooters weren't happy with the switch back. So as discussed, at this point if you wanted to offer AA, an blank option would be necessary. Or maybe just switch often enough that no one pays attention anymore.

Well, there was quite a bit of "They sent me kids sizes!" even pre-switchover.

The only way I see it is that Woot will have to run a multi-supplier approach for the women's shirts. The Anvil 880 is significantly different sized from the other major suppliers to the imprint industry, hence the current issue in which the more petite do NOT have a shirt option here ... which is another good reason for the sales/participation drop. BTW, some brands are even slimmer than AA.

On a personal level, about a third of the women's AA shirts I've ran across in thrift stores were found in the children's section. All but two of the women's Anvil shirts I've ran across were found in the men's section.

I think if Woot wants voters to return, they need to get rid of most of these new sites (tech, home, sport, accessories), and dump the plus sales (though the shirt sales are nice since shirts are actually a woot product).

Woot was one thing a day. ...

Alas, that's not going to happen under the current management. There's was finite revenue growth with the old business model of one-deal-one-day, so I can't fault Woot in expanding. However, what Woot expanded to is akin to shoving an entire 45k sq.ft. Best Buy into a 8k sq.ft. of an Apple store.

I should add that none of this will guarantee the return of voters. Woot had a cult-like following, which many many companies have failed to replicate. For Woot to build it twice would be very impressive.

It would indeed ... but they're not going to get there without some change.