thebearqueen1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebearqueen1

I have had these shirts less than 3 months and the picture is rubbing off.





Is this a common problem on the new shirts or am I just lucky?

manhandsha


quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

thebearqueen1 wrote:I have had these shirts less than 3 months and the picture is rubbing off.





Is this a common problem on the new shirts or am I just lucky?



Jeez, I'm not sure what's up with that. I'd suggest sending those pics and your order details to support@woot.com; CS can check into the situation further.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

shortman


quality posts: 47 Private Messages shortman

I have many woot shirts going back a couple years. Most have been washed many times. None have the kind of wear that your photos show. One or two of mine with large blocks of color have cracked some, but I am yet to have any part of any design flake off.

I wash shirts, towels, and undies together. Denim pants are washed in their own load. I used to use a top load agitator machine. For the last year or so a front load high efficiency machine.

I do not have the two shirts that are in your photos.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Improper cure during production; not a common occurrence IMHO.

Neither my t-shirt or hoodie copies of Morning Powerup have anywhere close to this kind of wear. Both were screened (are these DTG prints?) and as they're @ramy shirts and my dog has a habit of licking/drooling/slobbering on them, they're not "well cared for" and regularly washed on hot/dryer dried on high.

thelonegrape


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelonegrape
thebearqueen1 wrote:
Is this a common problem on the new shirts or am I just lucky?



Your not just lucky. I've had this problem with the "no bowling" and the "aviator" shirts after just one wash. The aviator is particularly clear because I also own the design on a jersey zip hoodie, which I must have washed 20+ times by now.

I e-mailed support a little over a month ago and they e-mailed me right away to tell me the guy that handles these problems would be out of the office and get back to me "early next week". Although I have yet to hear back from them...



ignorant


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
thebearqueen1 wrote:I have had these shirts less than 3 months and the picture is rubbing off.





Is this a common problem on the new shirts or am I just lucky?



All of the Woot shirts I've purchased that are printed with the digital printing have all come off like that, I submitted pics a long time ago in another thread around here somewhere.

[EDIT] here is the old post with pics both of those shirts look much much worse now.

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Silly questions here, but...

-Make and style of washing machine + dryer?
-Brand of detergent?
-Dryer sheets?
-Type of cycle (heat level, primarily)?
-Shirts folded inside-out?
-Shirts washed with anything other than shirts?
-City/County and can you describe their tap water? / Do you use a water softener?

If it's a long term problem for you specifically, I want to voice that I've not had this issue, but I also only own like, 2 or 3 digital shirts. So the questions I'm asking are to establish a baseline to isolate the possibly causes of failure, in case it's not strictly in regards to printing.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

ignorant


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Silly questions here, but...

-Make and style of washing machine + dryer?
-Brand of detergent?
-Dryer sheets?
-Type of cycle (heat level, primarily)?
-Shirts folded inside-out?
-Shirts washed with anything other than shirts?
-City/County and can you describe their tap water? / Do you use a water softener?

If it's a long term problem for you specifically, I want to voice that I've not had this issue, but I also only own like, 2 or 3 digital shirts. So the questions I'm asking are to establish a baseline to isolate the possibly causes of failure, in case it's not strictly in regards to printing.



I wash them the same as the screen printed shirts from woot, and that is I don't do anything special. I don't turn them inside out, I dry them in the dryer, I was them with all my other clothes (pants, shirts, etc), I think they are washed on warm (I just hit the "normal" button and don't look into anymore than that).
So they are washed the same but I've stopped wearing the digital printed shirts after about 10 washes but the screen prints have been washed 10 times that and don't have any issues.

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
ignorant wrote:I wash them the same as the screen printed shirts from woot, and that is I don't do anything special. I don't turn them inside out, I dry them in the dryer, I was them with all my other clothes (pants, shirts, etc), I think they are washed on warm (I just hit the "normal" button and don't look into anymore than that).
So they are washed the same but I've stopped wearing the digital printed shirts after about 10 washes but the screen prints have been washed 10 times that and don't have any issues.



I would personally suggest some modifications. Inside-out, soft items only. I personally wash shirts entirely on their own, but would recommend avoiding jeans at the very least. I use warm water, low heat when drying, liquid detergent and a dryer sheet.

I don't know if any of that is a contributing factor, but neither of the two shirts I know are digital printed have any ink issues.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

ignorant


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
TobiasAmaranth wrote:I would personally suggest some modifications. Inside-out, soft items only. I personally wash shirts entirely on their own, but would recommend avoiding jeans at the very least. I use warm water, low heat when drying, liquid detergent and a dryer sheet.

I don't know if any of that is a contributing factor, but neither of the two shirts I know are digital printed have any ink issues.

Sorry I can't be more help.



Yeah. I just don't buy digital prints anymore, problem solved.
I'm not going to go out of my way to wash just those shirt special, I feel they should be of the same quality as the screened shirts and that would mean I could wash them the same as the screened shirts.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
TobiasAmaranth wrote:... I don't know if any of that is a contributing factor ...


Mixing heavy and lighter articles can have an effect, but the fact remains that to have the print flake off means it wasn't done correctly in the first place. Ignorant's seem more like an improper curing versus my issue of them printing over shirt lint.

Other aspects:
- Top loaders are more aggressive than front loaders, but at worst, the print will crack from being stretched (pulled) too much, not flake off.
- Differences in detergent are far more likely to show up with the blank, not the print.
- Drying temperature affects the (shrinking) shirt itself more than the print (of non-shrinking ink).

My dollar store find of a pre-stretched-neck/shrunken-length DTG Lemon Drop gets washed/dryer-dried in the do-not-care load, mixed with denim, sweatshirts, underwear, socks, etc. The print is still intact.

My DTG copy of Night and Day (which was printed low, but at least it wasn't over lint and it wasn't belly-print low, so I didn't write the issue in) gets washed on cold, line dried (so it has only lost an inch in length), and is fine. Likewise, the color-mush DTG of Schrodinger's Cat LS is still intact, even though that shirt has been relegated to undershirt use.