WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The world lost visionary artist H.R. Giger this week. So we wanted to pay tribute to him as well as other masters of science fiction artwork in this week's derby. Here are a few others to consider: Wayne Barlowe, Chesley Bonestell, Doug Chiang, Android Jones, Ralph McQuarrie, Frank Kelly Freas, and Chris Foss. Now, feel free to post some of your favorites in the comments! 

Rules:

• Include the artist who inspired your design in the title, mock-up, or comments.
  • Normal copyright rules apply.
  • No Crème tees.
  • No text.
  • No Doctor Who, Star Wars, or Nintendo references.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Hey, Woot is actually listening! Some of the ideas from this thread are already showing up. Thanks Woot!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I predict

move along

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Rules? What's that? lol

j5

Except for Androind Jones and Chris Foss, those links all point to H.R. Giger.

move along

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

OH man- I love this week-

Would Alex Grey be considered sci-fi enough? -though I may have to just make a Giger design- Too much love-

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

BTW, I LOVE the theme this week!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:Except for Androind Jones and Chris Foss, those links all point to H.R. Giger.

did you click on them? while giger appears in the link, so does the name of the intended artist, and on my browser at least it ends up on the correct page.

j5

Ironically, searching Ralph McQuarrie returns all Star Wars art.

move along

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

Is there any artist to whom the majority of the artwork surrounding Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I want to be inspired by him!

j5

no1 wrote:did you click on them?

I did.

ETA: IE vs. Chrome.

move along

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

yikes. I know nothing about sci-fi art. but I like the tribute to an apparent legend in the genre. (and the rules!) going to be a challenging derby. i like it.

no1

j5 wrote:I did.

ETA: IE vs. Chrome.

once you go chrome you never go ... uh ... home?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Don't mind me, just stating the obvious.

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

Based on Chesley Bonestell's "Saturn as Seen from Titan" but with hula hooping:

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

thatrobert

sonofafish wrote:Don't mind me, just stating the obvious.

So far it looks like they're defining this derby as sci-fi art NOT fantasy art.

Travis, can we get some clarification?

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

It's always funny to me how revered Giger was. My friend had a couple of his art books and he literally made a living figuring out ways to insert ;) penises into science fiction.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

sonofafish wrote:Don't mind me, just stating the obvious.

Is that sci-fi? I think of him as fantasy.

no1

ste7enl wrote:It's always funny to me how revered Giger was. My friend had a couple of his art books and he literally made a living figuring out ways to insert ;) penises into science fiction.

... isn't that reason enough?

tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:So far it looks like they're defining this derby as sci-fi art NOT fantasy art.

Travis, can we get some clarification?

Yeah, sci-fi this week. No Boris or Frank.

tgentry

Staff

ste7enl wrote:It's always funny to me how revered Giger was. My friend had a couple of his art books and he literally made a living figuring out ways to insert ;) penises into science fiction.

And va-jay-jays too. Don't sell the man short.

no1

tgentry wrote:And va-jay-jays too. Don't sell the man short.

so if a derby entry were to pay tribute to giger, it absolutely should include ...

thatrobert

tgentry

Staff

no1 wrote:so if a derby entry were to pay tribute to giger, it absolutely should include ...

Best of luck with that. ;)

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Hopefully overly cute doesn't win out... IMO a kawaii xenomorph isn't much of a tribute.

Nothing follows.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

I expect amazing things from Manki with this theme.

For sale: $12/Free Shipping

tgentry

Staff

taternuggets wrote:Hopefully overly cute doesn't win out... IMO a kawaii xenomorph isn't much of a tribute.

Would love to see something completely bad-ass come out of this one. That is my hope anyway.

Keep in mind though that straight up fan art of xenomorphs and face huggers, while awesome, could run you afoul with the rejectorator. It's a judgement call and the final decision lies with Woot, per usual.

sonofafish

tgentry wrote:Yeah, sci-fi this week. No Boris or Frank.

This is kinda tricky, because there's some overlap. TBH, the first artist I thought of as something of Giger descendant was Brom.

Wayne Barlow also feels more fantasy than sci-fi to me; lots of alien-looking forms, but also some battleaxes and the like. Anyway, I get it, jus' sayin' that there's some overlap and the line can't be completely unblurred.

In any case, I'm pretty sure we can't pay homage to Giger's most consistent themes anyway.

tgentry

Staff

sonofafish wrote:This is kinda tricky, because there's some overlap. TBH, the first artist I thought of as something of Giger descendant was Brom.

Wayne Barlow also feels more fantasy than sci-fi to me; lots of alien-looking forms, but also some battleaxes and the like. Anyway, I get it, jus' sayin' that there's some overlap and the line can't be completely unblurred.

In any case, I'm pretty sure we can't pay homage to Giger's most consistent themes anyway.

As with just about everything in the Derby there's a giant grey area where the only thing that everyone can agree upon is that the rejectorator sucks. If you want to test the fantasy/sci-fi waters that's your call, just be willing to live with the rejection if it comes.

no1

tgentry wrote:Would love to see something completely bad-ass come out of this one. That is my hope anyway.

peenis, vajayjay, and ass. got it.

sonofafish

tgentry wrote:As with just about everything in the Derby there's a giant grey area where the only thing that everyone can agree upon is that the rejectorator sucks. If you want to test the fantasy/sci-fi waters that's your call, just be willing to live with the rejection if it comes.

Final quibble: does it have to have an inspiring artist in the title? In other words, can we pick a sci-fi theme that is not specific to any single artist?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Frank Kelly Freas is awesome, his colors alone are amazing. I have a poster of his for The Wizard of Speed and Time signed by Mike Jittlov, it's my most prized possession. :D

Can't wait to see what comes of this derby.

tgentry

Staff

no1 wrote:peenis, vajayjay, and ass. got it.

I think we might need an 'adults only' derby running concurrently for this one.

tgentry

Staff

sonofafish wrote:Final quibble: does it have to have an inspiring artist in the title? In other words, can we pick a sci-fi theme that is not specific to any single artist?

It doesn't have to be in the title (it can be in the mockup or in the comment section) but you do need to put the artist you were inspired by and it should be at least somewhat evident that the artist and your design are connected in some way. It's always open to interpretation, but that's the general idea of this one.

stiluk35

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stiluk35

Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place to ask the question but what is the printing process for derby submissions? Can you print DTG or should we stick to screen printing?

no1

stiluk35 wrote:Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place to ask the question but what is the printing process for derby submissions? Can you print DTG or should we stick to screen printing?

they're screenprinted. have you read the general instructions yet?

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/upload

tgentry

Staff

stiluk35 wrote:Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place to ask the question but what is the printing process for derby submissions? Can you print DTG or should we stick to screen printing?

For the Derby it should be designed for screen-printing, with a 6 spot color max (we'll add a 7th color as a base if needed, so don't worry about that).