WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

A big change is coming to the Derby next week. So, to get you pumped, we're doing a metamorphosis derby. We want your best change-themed designs! And be sure to tune in next week to see our little design competition caterpillar turn into a butterfly. 

• no creme tees
  • ANOTHER THING ABOUT NEXT WEEK: we'll have a sweet, super patriotic theme! Start thinking "Americana"! (also no creme tees)

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Change is scary!

Nothing follows.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Oh, I was hoping Woot would metamorphisize into allowing creme shirts.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Adding some "no butterfly" and "no phoenix" rules would be very helpful in getting some actual CHANGE.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
thatrobert wrote:Oh, I was hoping Woot would metamorphisize into allowing creme shirts.

Whoa there pal, let's not get all crazy about things. They said changes were coming, not miracles.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

nice. i'm excited to see the changes! and thanks for the double derby announcement.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Intriguing developments.. i'm wondering if these changes will impose new restrictions or lift old ones (color perhaps?).

In any case, I feel like if you're not bringing stunning artwork or Dr. Who references for this derby, you better bring your triple A+ game...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
taternuggets wrote:Change is scary!

ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Yey!!! Love me some changes. Really excited to know what they'll be!!!

And the two themes sound cool!

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

I am having trouble thinking of anything other than butterflies that are not incredibly creepy. Thanks Kafka...

stiluk35

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stiluk35

Wait, what is this about Americana? Is this a separate theme or should we try to incorporate the two into one?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
stiluk35 wrote:Wait, what is this about Americana? Is this a separate theme or should we try to incorporate the two into one?

That was a hint for next week's theme.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Caterpillar to butterfly? - does that mean the rights to this design (previously printed under a C-contract) got renewed?

Narfcake

bluejester wrote:Whoa there pal, let's not get all crazy about things. They said changes were coming, not miracles.

Woot could allow creme if they go back to the original supplier. Anvil doesn't offer the 980/880/990b in a similar shade so I think they're having to order from their organic lineup instead, negating the cost advantages.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
bluejester wrote:Whoa there pal, let's not get all crazy about things. They said changes were coming, not miracles.

(fingers crossed) Maybe moving 100% to digital printing, which removes the 6-color restriction? (O please, o please, o please)

sonofafish

lyonscc wrote:(fingers crossed) Maybe moving 100% to digital printing, which removes the 6-color restriction? (O please, o please, o please)

alternatively, a larger print area would be pretty kick-tushy too.

Narfcake

lyonscc wrote:(fingers crossed) Maybe moving 100% to digital printing, which removes the 6-color restriction? (O please, o please, o please)

Not going to happen - too slow for quantity + cost per print. @rasabi's The Time is Meow was originally made for the In Real Life derby; it sold very very well (current quantity: 1950), and was screen printed using a 4-color process instead.

sonofafish wrote:alternatively, a larger print area would be pretty kick-tushy too.

Also unlikely with their current equipment setup.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Only guest editor picks!?
Every entry is fogged!?
Theme launched on Wednesday!?
What could it be?

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
Narfcake wrote:Also unlikely with their current equipment setup.

But after the collar stretches, there's plenty more room for extra design area.

sonofafish

Narfcake wrote:Also unlikely with their current equipment setup.

Well, that's the thing though, isn't it? Something in the status quo is changing.

I definitely agree that they're probably not gonna do something to increase their overhead... also seems like they would have bragged or used words like "exciting" if it was something artists would dig... it was just a change is coming.
A change is coming.
Winter is coming.

I'm starting to feel a little scared.

Narfcake

bluejester wrote:But after the collar stretches, there's plenty more room for extra design area.

Doesn't that make for less design area?

Narfcake

sonofafish wrote:Well, that's the thing though, isn't it? Something in the status quo is changing. ...

"Americana" ...

American a ...

American A ...

Too much hope? I don't know ...

sonofafish

Narfcake wrote:"Americana" ...

American a ...

American A ...

Haha, lotta wishful thinking today from all of us, it would seem. No color restriction AA tees that can be printed on ANYWHERE! WHEEEEEE!!!!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
thatrobert wrote:Adding some "no butterfly" and "no phoenix" rules would be very helpful in getting some actual CHANGE.

I foresee some designs incorporating yin and yang.

Enedlhach

This is what I have so far. I am deciding if I should add anything else to the design. Any ideas?

ajw567

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajw567

Well Here is what I threw together.
Change is truly frightening....
let me know what you think.

p.s. If you don't understand this, You really need to do some research on puns.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Narfcake wrote:"Americana" ...

American a ...

American A ...

I dunno. They definitely intended someone to come to that conclusion. I can't imagine Woot shaking things up too much, like 4 derby prints or anything like that.

Though the next derby still says no creme tees, so it might just be one of the mono-shirt-color derbies. Please let it be teal and not sea-foam. Barf. XD Maybe it's a derby requiring that American Red-White-and-Blue shirt blank from past Woot-offs. I mean, Fourth of July is coming up pretty fast.

I do wish they'd cut the fog to 5 or 6. I know 4 caused voting issues, but 9 causes voter apathy.

Derby-wise, let's see a fantastic Werewolf design!

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Enedlhach

TobiasAmaranth wrote:I dunno. They definitely intended someone to come to that conclusion. I can't imagine Woot shaking things up too much, like 4 derby prints or anything like that.

Though the next derby still says no creme tees, so it might just be one of the mono-shirt-color derbies. Please let it be teal and not sea-foam. Barf. XD Maybe it's a derby requiring that American Red-White-and-Blue shirt blank from past Woot-offs. I mean, Fourth of July is coming up pretty fast.

I do wish they'd cut the fog to 5 or 6. I know 4 caused voting issues, but 9 causes voter apathy.

not a werefox?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Voting is down and has been for a while. Recent "vote for your favorite and we will print it" campaigns on FB would lead me to believe they were a test model for the future derby.
So....I predict "vote via FB" is the new derby model.

move along

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
Enedlhach wrote:This is what I have so far. I am deciding if I should add anything else to the design. Any ideas?

Nice (C)AT-(C)AT! I like it a lot, looks great by it self although I do recall always seeing them in pairs...

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
treblesinger72 wrote:Nice (C)AT-(C)AT! I like it a lot, looks great by it self although I do recall always seeing them in pairs...

A robot cat, based on Star Wars All Terrain Armored Transport, that WHISTLES... That is a metamorphosis!
Wonder if it poops stormtroopers? No, please, don't...!

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond
TobiasAmaranth wrote:

Seconded.

j5 wrote:Voting is down and has been for a while. Recent "vote for your favorite and we will print it" campaigns on FB would lead me to believe they were a test model for the future derby.

Inference based on paying attention...yep, putting that in strong possibility thought pile. Although the FB 'like' totals were often anemic but at this point 40-50 new voters on a design would be a large increase percentage wise most weeks.

Narfcake

j5 wrote:Voting is down and has been for a while. Recent "vote for your favorite and we will print it" campaigns on FB would lead me to believe they were a test model for the future derby.

I hope not - @taternuggets said a while back in a different thread: "It's all too easy for popular artists with large facebook followings to influence the game. With the sharing and the liking and whatnot." - and I agree. Yeah, some of us have multiple accounts here at Woot, but at least one had to be a Woot customer to vote. On FB, anyone with an email address could vote. Unfair advantages? Fraud? I think it'll be likely.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

The Transformation

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Enedlhach wrote:This is what I have so far. I am deciding if I should add anything else to the design. Any ideas?

I sorta want a lil mouse hanging under it with a lightsaber and a thermal detonator! cool idea!

Enedlhach

oakenspirit wrote:I sorta want a lil mouse hanging under it with a lightsaber and a thermal detonator! cool idea!

Haha, I thought about having it shoot lasers out of it's mouth at mice, but I decided to add a death star yarn ball in the end.

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond
ste7enl wrote:The Transformation

oooh!

omarfeliciano

Here is mine, a little twist on the butterfly approach.

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

like it but maybe make the red line for the eye a little smaller and not have it go all the way to the back???

omarfeliciano

manikx66 wrote:like it but maybe make the red line for the eye a little smaller and not have it go all the way to the back???

Why is that? What do you see that I don't see?