tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Radscoolian wrote:Here's what I came up with

Haha. I love your stuff, man.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
flemtone wrote:Yay! So close last time, and a design that has literally everything going for it.

My only suggestion would be to move the shark fin closer to Cape Cod. It's a 'Jaws' thing but hey, that's just me.

Crosses fingers for a print of this on an American Apparel blank. Best of all possible worlds. Good luck!

Thanks so much! -and consider Jaws moved- best way to get me to do something is to ask inside of a compliment- I'm that easy!

oakenspirit

Awesome!

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:Early WIP. It will be traditional tattoo style when finished. This is one of those ideas that felt good at first, but now I'm questioning it. Maybe a different slogan?

-this is going to be good! ;)

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
oakenspirit wrote:That's really sharp man! Has a great iconic look while still being totally wearable.

EDIT- I really dig the olive but can;t help but wonder if it will be better received on another color-

littleclyde

quality posts: 16 Private Messages littleclyde

I actually finished something with a few minutes to spare!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
littleclyde wrote:I actually finished something with a few minutes to spare!

Great! I'm happy to see something celebrating a variety of kinds of music, or foods, or whatever in American culture, and well done.
"Fig. 1" suggests a context, with more figures to come. That distracts me, I'd rather see it without the "Fig. 1".

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72

almost ready!!! but I just look at the colors while not in what I was editing and it looks pink rather than red! need to get going on modifications! As usual thank you for any input, critiques, rants or any advice you have to offer ;-)
-REL

littleclyde

quality posts: 16 Private Messages littleclyde
oakenspirit wrote:

I made two this week-
First I redid (from the ground up) my old American Fantasy Map- I am so much happier with this new version- the last one lost by 3 votes so hopefully this time it will stick! eyes voters... ;)

The new version looks great, I'll be voting for this again! Though I do miss some of the green coloring from the first version...

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos
littleclyde wrote:I actually finished something with a few minutes to spare!

i like it. i don't think the "fig. 1" is necessary. it plays down the good design.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

tjschaeffer wrote:Here's what I've got going for today.

Great start.
B&W feels too stark, needs gray or muted color as highlights or shadows.
I feel your need to have colonial text with all the pointy edges. (What font is that?) You also have an etched or grainy look going on. But that is too much, this needs to be a little smoother and simpler. Does that make sense?
Feel free to tell me that my design is too pointy/grainy/whatever when I submit mine. :-)

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01
FoxSonic wrote:I agree here, If the Tea Party and armed rampagers weren't also using this flag for their backwards campaigns I'd totally vote for this, and maybe even buy it!

Well, I was thinkin of the original group that used it. I also included "us" instead of "me" to be all inclusive. I'm gonna go ahead and put it up for those that don't mind so much. Woot can nix it if they want. BUt I do understand the bads that sabotaged the original intent.

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish

So I actually did think of something and have time later tonight, so you know, dibs:

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

ApeLad wrote:You're right! Blue works a lot better.

I'm still having trouble reading the text, and I've looked at it several times. I see "erica" if I pay attention. There's gotta be "Am" in there somewhere.

Most casual viewers may see the design for two seconds as someone wearing it walks past in the mall.
Those viewers are going to miss the hidden word altogether.
The wearers, however, will know what a clever shirt they are wearing!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

sonofafish wrote:So I actually did think of something and have time later tonight, so you know, dibs:

Good simple design.
The serifs seem a little sharp and too close to the silhouette, maybe reduce the type size a bit. Especially the bottom right "thorn" of the M on the right is too close to the nose.
Try putting "is" in italic san serif lowercase for an ABA look.
I commented on someone else's design that the B&W was too stark and needed a little gray or muted color as a highlight or drop shadow. I think this needs the same treatment in order to be an attractive T-shirt that will appeal both artistically and politically.
This design is almost a logo, but "Freedom is Coming" would be a tag line.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

mecos wrote:i like it. i don't think the "fig. 1" is necessary. it plays down the good design.

Happy to see someone agree with me!
And the R in "Rap" on the right is too distorted, too hard to read. Legibility is more important than style.

Shmuel510

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Shmuel510
jessisima wrote:I started working on an American Pie design this week. I have some other ideas in the works, but I'd love to hear what people think of this one so far...

I love the concept, but blueberries? Surely it's American as apple pie? :-)

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Great start.
B&W feels too stark, needs gray or muted color as highlights or shadows.
I feel your need to have colonial text with all the pointy edges. (What font is that?) You also have an etched or grainy look going on. But that is too much, this needs to be a little smoother and simpler. Does that make sense?
Feel free to tell me that my design is too pointy/grainy/whatever when I submit mine. :-)

It's a reference to this, so some of what he has going on is needed...nicely done, TJ.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

treblesinger72 wrote:almost ready!!! but I just look at the colors while not in what I was editing and it looks pink rather than red! need to get going on modifications! As usual thank you for any input, critiques, rants or any advice you have to offer ;-)
-REL

Glad to see a design that shows handicrafting, work going on.
"Hardiness" needs more contrast.
That strawberry is too straight down, needs to be angled or removed. (Picky, huh?)
Is that flag draped in the outline of an eagle head?
Attractive design.
Oooops, the derby has opened!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

cdrewlow wrote:It's a reference to this, so some of what he has going on is needed...nicely done, TJ.

Thanks for the reference or context. We are all tuned into some things, not so much to others.

treblesinger72

Very cool! I love the idea of the founding fathers as superheroes!

treblesinger72

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Glad to see a design that shows handicrafting, work going on.
"Hardiness" needs more contrast.
That strawberry is too straight down, needs to be angled or removed. (Picky, huh?)
Is that flag draped in the outline of an eagle head?
Attractive design.
Oooops, the derby has opened!

Thanks! Sometimes you are working so much on the design you loose sight of stuff! Will fix and probably submit it again later on

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

If anyone is still reading the pre-derby section, do you have any comments before I enter this?

dirtbelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirtbelly
sonofafish wrote:So I actually did think of something and have time later tonight, so you know, dibs:

Did this get submitted? I'm not seeing it and I'd definitely vote for it.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

dirtbelly wrote:Did this get submitted? I'm not seeing it and I'd definitely vote for it.

I haven't seen it either, yet. But submissions are coming thick and fast, maybe because we had more than 24 hours before submission open time.

jesskmck511

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesskmck511
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:I haven't seen it either, yet. But submissions are coming thick and fast, maybe because we had more than 24 hours before submission open time.

I'd like to see it too.

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
dirtbelly wrote:Did this get submitted? I'm not seeing it and I'd definitely vote for it.

It's up! I hope I still have your vote!

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

I wish I had artistic ability. I have a pretty awesome Betsy Ross idea but can't make it. :'(

glimfeather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glimfeather

I haven't voted in a derby in I don't know how long, but I saw that these will be printed on AA, so I had to come vote! I see several designs I would really like to see print. Great job everyone!

DecaffWriter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DecaffWriter

My first real entry! Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also, does anyone know if I should email in my artwork right away, or is that something that waits for if they pick my design?

mollymerula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollymerula

Can we get some VINTAGE AMERICANA in here? :D Anything that reminds me of Infinite's Columbia (minus the racism) is pretty much an instant purchase for me. (But no creme tees? Oh no!)

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS

saquack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saquack

Good on you woot! Thanks for offering some AA blanks for us die hard shirt fans. Any chance a strong showing here will help bring back AA blanks full time?

Your artists deserve a high quality canvas.

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182

I'll buy the one I voted for if it wins..but it's pretty sad to have to advertise the shirt being an AA print, just because of the particular theme. Amazon makes more than enough money to print all AA shirts, and not lose out. I am one of many who have said I would pay $15 for every shirt if they were printed on AA blanks. C'mon Mr Bezos, let's go back to AA all the way!

...i remain, he who remains to be...

Bazagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bazagg
Enedlhach wrote:Hammered it out this week. Gotta to get ready to watch the World Cup!

It's very similar to another shirt I designed. But people seemed to like that one so I will try give it another try with this style.

I think the legs are a bit too long for the body, but other than that it looks great

Bazagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bazagg

Ok, so here's my idea

What do you guys think? I really need some feedback

tjschaeffer

cdrewlow wrote:It's a reference to this, so some of what he has going on is needed...nicely done, TJ.

Thanks a lot. I wanted to go with something a little different than the red, white & blue theme.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Thanks for the reference or context. We are all tuned into some things, not so much to others.

Not all references are caught by everyone. I know I'm often left scratching my head to grasp certain references. But thanks a lot for taking a look and offering up some advice. I always appreciate feedback

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

We're over 1700 voters. Almost there for $10 tees this weekend!

tjschaeffer

tgentry wrote:We're over 1700 voters. Almost there for $10 tees this weekend!

Sweet! But is anyone else getting an error when they try to access the derby?

mollymerula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollymerula
tjschaeffer wrote:Sweet! But is anyone else getting an error when they try to access the Derby?

It's working for me. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS

tjschaeffer

mollymerula wrote:It's working for me. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

It's stopped giving me the server error of death now.