WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This week, we're looking for designs that make use of NEGATIVE SPACE! That's right: the focal point of the shirt should be the place where there is actually NOTHING AT ALL! Here are a A FEW EXAMPLES! Ending a sentence with all caps MAKES IT DRAMATIC!

• Nah crem tays

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm positive this will be interesting.

sombrillo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo

Really love these types of designs. Should be some good entries!

Zagazoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zagazoo

Does no crem tays mean no creme tees? Or am I unfamiliar with a cryptic t-shirt design lingo?

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
thatrobert wrote:I'm positive this will be interesting.

i see what you did there!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

This is actually a good one for me. My style of comic inking is a lot like this.

For those who need some inspiration... Mike Mignola creator of Hellboy has some crazy great examples.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I hope we see something cool and not just more of the same...

helgram

quality posts: 1 Private Messages helgram

"Nah crem tays"??! sweet woot, this made me laugh mid-coffee-sip. There's coffee everywhere now... thanks!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

grrlmarvel wrote:Mike Mignola creator of Hellboy has some crazy great examples.

Really good call, he's a master of negative space.

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq

Reworked an old one for this derby. Please let me know if it could use any edits.Deathly Night by swimmernq, on Flickr

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
benjaminleebates wrote:I hope we see something cool and not just more of the same...

What, you don't want to see any negative cats? Grumpycat will be disappointed.
(Trying not to think of cats for this design...)

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

I've been working on this for my daughter. It's called "Hidden Gymnast"... Can you see her? Will people care? Should I just let this concept go?

For sale: $12/Free Shipping

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
marceepauff wrote:I've been working on this for my daughter. It's called "Hidden Gymnast"... Can you see her? Will people care? Should I just let this concept go?

i see her, but i can't help but think the space on the left is poking uncomfortably at her, uh, lower abdominal area. because i am a dirty old man.

DecaffWriter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DecaffWriter

Second ever design. Any thoughts?

no1

DecaffWriter wrote:Second ever design. Any thoughts?

don't forget that the "comp" is supposed to show placement of the design on the shirt.

wahya451

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wahya451
marceepauff wrote:I've been working on this for my daughter. It's called "Hidden Gymnast"... Can you see her? Will people care? Should I just let this concept go?

I like it alot.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Without the title or alterations, it's just a nice picture of animal silhouettes.
Can you give the gymnast an eye and the curve of a mouth? Some kind of details that make us look again.
If viewers don't have to stare at the wearer's chest too long to get it, it's clever and attractive!

DecaffWriter

no1 wrote:don't forget that the "comp" is supposed to show placement of the design on the shirt.

Will do. I was planning on having as slightly left of center ('cus, y'know, heart).

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

DecaffWriter wrote:Second ever design. Any thoughts?

The drop from the thorn seems a bit stereotyped. How about if the drop has already fallen or splashed on a branch.
Maybe change some branches to gray. The picture is a little dark and limited in color. With gray branches in front of black ones, you have some depth. Not sure how that would work within the confines of negative space.

marceepauff

I gave her a bit of a face. Does this help?

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
marceepauff wrote:I gave her a bit of a face. Does this help?

Personally I'd have no idea this was anything other than animal silhouettes had you not mentioned it in the title... and I'm still only barely seeing legs here and there so I think I'm missing it completely. Since I'm not really seeing the hidden image, the animals seem to be awkwardly placed.. is the head in the cougar's mouth?

no1

thatquietgir1 wrote:Personally I'd have no idea this was anything other than animal silhouettes had you not mentioned it in the title... and I'm still only barely seeing legs here and there so I think I'm missing it completely. Since I'm not really seeing the hidden image, the animals seem to be awkwardly placed.. is the head in the cougar's mouth?

i see a gymnast in this position:

marceepauff

thatquietgir1 wrote:Personally I'd have no idea this was anything other than animal silhouettes had you not mentioned it in the title... and I'm still only barely seeing legs here and there so I think I'm missing it completely. Since I'm not really seeing the hidden image, the animals seem to be awkwardly placed.. is the head in the cougar's mouth?

Yea. She's doing a move similar to this:

I think I'm gonna haveta table this one. *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback, peeps.

ETA no1 found a better example. Thank you!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
marceepauff wrote:Yea. She's doing a move similar to this:

I think I'm gonna haveta table this one. *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback, peeps.

ETA no1 found a better example. Thank you!

Ohh I see it! I think it's mostly the snake that seems off... it'd help if there was a bigger shape where the snake is to emphasize the negative space in the middle. The foot works well in the antlers but the the antelope body doesn't have much contribution to the hidden image and gets a little confusing. Maybe if you switch the snake and the antelope...

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

Forgot the titles (if it matters haha). In order: Dark Spaces, Heart Swirls, Impressionist Heart, and To the Heart of it.

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed

Trying to figure out if I'm done with this one or not. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Working title: "Outside draws you In"

leslieh01

[quote postid="5823214" user="leslieh01"]Feedback would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

Maybe whiter swirls.

leslieh01

Forgot one: My Heart

leslieh01

Whatcha think of "Tree Space"?

FoxSonic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FoxSonic
leslieh01 wrote:Whatcha think of "Tree Space"?

That's pretty. Nice idea!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Ummm... having trouble getting the image in here. I posted the image to imgur. I've pasted in the "message board" link and other links from imgur several times.
I even put in the URL with "rem" to show the code, but that didn't show the code.

This just leads to a "404" page.

http://arabesqueartsbydarcy.imgur.com/all/

"Leafy Buddha" is a paper cutting, and this is the start of digitizing it in Photoshop for the derby.
I'm not sure I have the skills do make this look the way I want.
Is this enough negative space?

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:Feedback would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

Forgot the titles (if it matters haha). In order: Dark Spaces, Heart Swirls, Impressionist Heart, and To the Heart of it.

You could vary the width of the lines in the swirls.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

thatquietgir1 wrote:Ohh I see it! I think it's mostly the snake that seems off... it'd help if there was a bigger shape where the snake is to emphasize the negative space in the middle. The foot works well in the antlers but the the antelope body doesn't have much contribution to the hidden image and gets a little confusing. Maybe if you switch the snake and the antelope...

Shoot, I didn't realize that was s snake, I didn't see her face. I still think this could be improved until it works.
More contrast, too.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:Whatcha think of "Tree Space"?

Love it!
Have you thought of reversing it to a light color on a dark T-shirt? Right now, it looks like there are a few leaves at the bottom that are negative space.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

blammoed wrote:Trying to figure out if I'm done with this one or not. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Working title: "Outside draws you In"

Nice and good use of negative space!
I would like to see the leafy clusters (?) overlap the edges of the.. um...teardrop outline.

Steveh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Steveh01
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Love it!
Have you thought of reversing it to a light color on a dark T-shirt? Right now, it looks like there are a few leaves at the bottom that are negative space.

I could reverse it. Yep leaves at bottom. Is that okay? So white tree on black shirt then? But then what abt the space stuff? Negative in that too?

Steveh01

FoxSonic wrote:That's pretty. Nice idea!

Thanks! Leave leaves at bottom?

Steveh01

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:You could vary the width of the lines in the swirls.

Ok. Thx!

Bazagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bazagg

Oh, the entries are gonna be so good for this one

DecaffWriter

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:The drop from the thorn seems a bit stereotyped. How about if the drop has already fallen or splashed on a branch.
Maybe change some branches to gray. The picture is a little dark and limited in color. With gray branches in front of black ones, you have some depth. Not sure how that would work within the confines of negative space.

Tweaked it a bit; you were right about the drop. I see what you mean about the branch depth, but I think I need to keep that the way it is for the design prompt.

So, better? Worse?