WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The $10K Cup is here, and it's your chance to get 10,000 extra big ones for your derby-winning shirt design! Here's how it works:

For every derby in July (#363-#366), things will run pretty much like they always do. You'll submit a design. Users will vote. The top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place vote-getters will sell on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday respectively. 

BUT THEN…

Each of those derby winners for all four derbies will be entered into the $10k challenge. Whichever one sells the most shirts ON ITS FIRST DAY wins $10,000 (and all the other money we owe you contractually too). Let us reiterate: this will be based on FIRST DAY SALES. Top 20 sales don't count, so the winners of the last derby have just as good a chance as the winners of the first.

Sounds good, yeah? Well, hold on, because there's ANOTHER TWIST: we're announcing the themes beforehand. Here they are (with Cliff's notes descriptions): 

Derby #363: 10K Round I: Text
Choose between a Slogan or a Text as Art Design.

• Rules for a Slogan shirt: Must include some graphic element.
  • Rules for a Text as Art Designs: No super-duper-tiny font sizes and No copyrighted text

Derby #364: 10K Round II: Style
Must use one of the following art styles as seen in previous derbies (with corresponding rules intact):

Derby #365: 10K Round III: Pop Culture Mashups
Bring the pain. Usual copyright rules apply.

Derby #366: 10K Round IV: Speciality Ink 
Glow or Metallic allowed and required (one or the other, not both). Check out previous metallic and glow derby for guidelines.

Okay, that's about it. Or is it? FINAL TWIST: no creme tees. Okay, not much of a twist, but we gotta say it anyway. 

Well, that wraps it up. Best of luck to you all, and may the best (selling) shirt win! 

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Holy crud... I think my mind just exploded.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:Holy crud... I think my mind just exploded.

Get busy!!!

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
tgentry wrote:Derby #365: 10K Round III: Pop Culture Mashups
Bring the pain. Usual copyright rules apply.

Finally, that Ducktales and Left 4 Dead mashup!

(reference writeup)

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Huh. That's a big carrot. Is there a fire sale on shoe horns somewhere?

Kudos though on the idea SW staff. Maybe I'll put the gloves back on but I'm not sure any of these are a good match for me.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Wow.

Nothing follows.

tgentry

Staff

taternuggets wrote:Wow.

This first week has your name all over it.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
tgentry wrote:This first week has your name all over it.

HA!

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
tgentry wrote:

Get busy!!!

I was gonna post that gif!

taternuggets

lol.... PRESSURE!

Nothing follows.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

My coworker is wondering why I'm busting out laughing right now ...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

tgentry

Staff

artulo wrote:I'm not sure any of these are a good match for me.

Metallic ink artulo design has a nice ring to it

sonofafish

serious questions about glow in the dark ink:

Are there any color limitations here? I assume it's not limited to 1 color, but one of your colors has to be the glowing ink, yes?

Also, I can mock something like that up easily enough, but I'm not sure how I would represent glow ink in my print file... any suggestions?

tjschaeffer

sonofafish wrote:serious questions about glow in the dark ink:

Are there any color limitations here? I assume it's not limited to 1 color, but one of your colors has to be the glowing ink, yes?

Also, I can mock something like that up easily enough, but I'm not sure how I would represent glow ink in my print file... any suggestions?

If it's anything like the Glow in the Dark derby I imagine the rules would be the same.

sonofafish

tjschaeffer wrote:If it's anything like the Glow in the Dark derby I imagine the rules would be the same.

Thanks, that's extremely helpful!

JadenKale

tgentry wrote:Metallic ink artulo design has a nice ring to it

Indeed! I'd wear the carp out of any metallic artulo tee.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
tgentry wrote:Metallic ink artulo design has a nice ring to it

Please, yes! I adore my artulo designs. One of the few I get backups in case of stains/wearing.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Ooh crosshatch... my time has come to return.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

wow!! here's hoping patrickpens and walmazan are on vacation all this month. ;)

10K CUP! Second best Cup in July

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

I must say, I am pretty excited about this- Here's hoping I can do you proud, woots...

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

This should be interesting. I was excited to read this but then realized that the usual artists with high-votes (the overrated popular kids) and low-sales(we vote but we don't buy your crap)could win $10k.

I'm glad you're trying new things but until Woot changes their image from "we only sell cat shirts" to "hey we're a diversified t-shirt seller who recognizes and sells all types of designs", it's going to be business as usual. Sad

fibrs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fibrs
tomspc wrote:This should be interesting. I was excited to read this but then realized that the usual artists with high-votes (the overrated popular kids) and low-sales(we vote but we don't buy your crap)could win $10k.

Well, at a minimum it will be one of the usual artists who sells the most first-day shirts.

sonofafish

tomspc wrote:This should be interesting. I was excited to read this but then realized that the usual artists with high-votes (the overrated popular kids) and low-sales(we vote but we don't buy your crap)could win $10k.

I'm glad you're trying new things but until Woot changes their image from "we only sell cat shirts" to "hey we're a diversified t-shirt seller who recognizes and sells all types of designs", it's going to be business as usual. Sad

At risk of being too bold in my proclamations, I think we underdogs all realize this, but no one - not the underdogs or the popular artists - are getting the $10k with anemic sales. Everyone actually has to try hard this time. Anyone subbing cats for cats' sake does so at their peril. (that said...)

Anyway, I don't think this is as much about what artists do as what woot does. I think they have to ensure a level playing field if they don't want to get saddled with a poorly-selling design with $10k price tag.

letterq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages letterq

Goodbye Holidays!!!! YAY!!!

:D

Cant wait to start!!!
Thanx a lot Woot!! :D :D

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant

It'll be interesting to see the percentage on 1st woot, joined today, and bought 3 or more.

Dewprism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dewprism

Wait, so for the Style derby, we have to play with all previous rules intact- does that include the limits on ink and shirt colors? Because watercolor shirts would now be limited to only three possible color choices, and crosshatch shirts would still be limited to only one ink color. If that's the case, those are some pretty uneven restraints when Van Gogh has no such limitations.

Clerihewn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clerihewn
Dewprism wrote:Wait, so for the Style derby, we have to play with all previous rules intact- does that include the limits on ink and shirt colors? Because watercolor shirts would now be limited to only three possible color choices, and crosshatch shirts would still be limited to only one ink color. If that's the case, those are some pretty uneven restraints when Van Gogh has no such limitations.

I like to think that it is made even by the Van Gogh specifying that there is to be no cats and no Doctor Who. I do wonder if those rules still apply as well.

JadenKale

Travis,

If creme is still not allowed in these four weeks of derbies, in regards to the t-shirt color blank limitations on the watercolor derby, are you allowing Slate as a light color for a viable background choice? Or are we allowed to pick darker tees for that challenge as well?
(which, the latter doesn't make much sense, but it was worth asking)

tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:Travis,

If creme is still not allowed in these four weeks of derbies, in regards to the t-shirt color blank limitations on the watercolor derby, are you allowing Slate as a light color for a viable background choice? Or are we allowed to pick darker tees for that challenge as well?
(which, the latter doesn't make much sense, but it was worth asking)

Good call, the revised shirt blanks allowed for the watercolor derby:

Silver, Slate, Lemon, Baby Blue, and White.

No creme tees allowed for any of the upcoming derbies.

tjschaeffer

One more question for the style derby.

Derby 174 (Crosshatch 1) allowed halftones, whereas Derby 268 (Crosshatch 2) did not allow halftones. Are we following the rules for previous derbies specifically called out in the opening post, or any past derby of that style (ie no halftones for crosshatch because of the 2nd derby with that theme)?

taternuggets

tjschaeffer wrote:One more question for the style derby.

Derby 174 (Crosshatch 1) allowed halftones, whereas Derby 268 (Crosshatch 2) did not allow halftones. Are we following the rules for previous derbies specifically called out in the opening post, or any past derby of that style (ie no halftones for crosshatch because of the 2nd derby with that theme)?

I'd have to guess the one that was linked would be the applicable rules... some artists wouldn't even be aware of that other crosshatch derby.

Nothing follows.

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle
tgentry wrote:the revised shirt blanks allowed for the watercolor derby:

Silver, Slate, Lemon, Baby Blue, and White.

Dang, that's too bad! I have a design that looks really good on Navy!

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72

Yay! I love watercolor and crosshatch!

fasteyes

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fasteyes

Neat!

zsinix

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zsinix

Can't wait to see the Round IV tees! This aught to be interesting =)

greentiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greentiger

Okay Woot, you know you are keeping me up too late hoping to nab an elusive Big ol' Catapult when I am reading the rules and see that one of the styles to choose from is crotchshot.....What!?! yeah, read that wrong.

thesangwich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thesangwich

Is there a Short Circuit 2 shirt in here somewhere? There has to be

taternuggets

I think woot birthday might have been a good day to print.

Nothing follows.

jelen5784

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jelen5784

thinking caps on pop culture smashup..................