WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're kicking off the $10K Cup with a text derby. More on that hereAs for the derby itself, here's what's up. We want you to get wordy and submit some sweet text designs. You can do a Slogan or a Text as Art Design. It's up to you! Some rules: 

• For a Slogan shirt: Must include some graphic element.
  • For a Text as Art Design: No super-duper-tiny font sizes and No copyrighted text 
  • No creme tees

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Dear woot gods, you're killin' me... *scrambles off to work on ideas*

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

I hate text shirts.

Nothing follows.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
taternuggets wrote:I hate text shirts.

Yeah, you really need to work on those...

taternuggets

cdrewlow wrote:Yeah, you really need to work on those...

lol... well that last one sure isn't selling. Do all you other artists feel guilt when your shirts tank?

(I feel ok enough to take the check woot.)

Nothing follows.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
taternuggets wrote:lol... well that last one sure isn't selling. Do all you other artists feel guilt when your shirts tank?

What exactly would you be guilty of? You subbed a clever shirt, people voted it to the top and then didn't buy it. I fail to see where you did anything wrong, unless this was your evil plan all along.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
taternuggets wrote:lol... well that last one sure isn't selling. Do all you other artists feel guilt when your shirts tank?

HAHAHA... yeah. I feel guilt when my shirt tanks for one reason or another.

And what sucks, is that text/slogan tees are a horrible weak point for me. I can draw fine. My text tees simply fall flat.

Bazagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bazagg

Uuuuh, I might already have something for this :D http://ow.ly/yKSO9

taternuggets

sonofafish wrote:What exactly would you be guilty of? You subbed a clever shirt, people voted it to the top and then didn't buy it. I fail to see where you did anything wrong, unless this was your evil plan all along.

Well, I didn't really mean that I WAS guilty of anything... but I can't help but feel bad about poor sales.

JadenKale wrote:HAHAHA... yeah. I feel guilt when my shirt tanks for one reason or another.

And what sucks, is that text/slogan tees are a horrible weak point for me. I can draw fine. My text tees simply fall flat.

Well, the one thing about both my winning slogan shirts, is I slipped them through in normal derbies. Coming up with a winning slogan while surrounded by other slogans has to be much much harder. I'm leaning on going the text as art route.

Nothing follows.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Ugh, me too.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
Bazagg wrote:Uuuuh, I might already have something for this :D http://ow.ly/yKSO9

"It's not a party unless you invite the whole world" from the book/movie "The Kite Runner":
Need some space between "you" "invite" "the" for legibility.
Not enough contrast between the orange ribbon and the blue background, might use a drop shadow.
I would add the title of the book or movie before or after the author.
My tall designs get squashed into a square when I upload. I hope you can avoid that.
You are way ahead of some of us!

Steveh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Steveh01

WHY never any cream tees? You sell them. Why not have them in Derby's?

Bazagg

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:"It's not a party unless you invite the whole world" from the book/movie "The Kite Runner":
Need some space between "you" "invite" "the" for legibility.
Not enough contrast between the orange ribbon and the blue background, might use a drop shadow.
I would add the title of the book or movie before or after the author.
My tall designs get squashed into a square when I upload. I hope you can avoid that.
You are way ahead of some of us!

Wow, man thanks for the awesome feedback :D

taternuggets

Steveh01 wrote:WHY never any cream tees? You sell them. Why not have them in Derby's?

Supplier issues.

Nothing follows.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Bazagg wrote:Wow, man thanks for the awesome feedback :D

Since it's already for sale elsewhere, you would need to make some serious revisions before submitting it here. Woot (usually) is all jealous about that.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Bazagg

Mavyn wrote:Since it's already for sale elsewhere, you would need to make some serious revisions before submitting it here. Woot (usually) is all jealous about that.

I know, I know, I'm starting to work on that

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff

I designed this one a while ago, but I'm not sure about the colors. Open to suggestions:

Narfcake

quality posts: 289 Private Messages Narfcake

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Ugh, me too.

Hah!

marceepauff wrote:I designed this one a while ago, but I'm not sure about the colors. Open to suggestions:

I'm thinking water. Baby blue looks good.

oneshoeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneshoeoff

Well, I certainly do a lot of texty things (like my American Pie design from a few weeks ago). Would that style work for this Derby? It's not exactly a slogan, but it certainly focuses on text.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/78677/to-the-levee

lunchboxbrain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lunchboxbrain

Awesome! Got a few ideas already.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Narfcake wrote:I'm thinking water. Baby blue looks good.

Background baby blue, yes.
But I want to see more contrast than that sorta teal color. Would navy work?
Oh, and that's clever, too!

usaf089

quality posts: 0 Private Messages usaf089

Curses! My computer is down for the count, in the middle of reformatting and installing some new goodies >. < I see late nights in my future!! Lol

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

oneshoeoff wrote:Well, I certainly do a lot of texty things (like my American Pie design from a few weeks ago). Would that style work for this Derby? It's not exactly a slogan, but it certainly focuses on text.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/78677/to-the-levee

Yes, good for a text theme.
Again, I'm all about the contrast. (Except in my own work.)
"American Pie" would stand out more without the texture in the letters...if you want it to compete a bit more with "Bye Bye".
What about a baby blue background on this one, with accents in another color?
It's hard for me to "move" a design from one contest theme or context to another, if you know what I mean.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Huge!

Hope this kicks me back into action. ::slaps face::

oneshoeoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneshoeoff
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Yes, good for a text theme.
Again, I'm all about the contrast. (Except in my own work.)
"American Pie" would stand out more without the texture in the letters...if you want it to compete a bit more with "Bye Bye".
What about a baby blue background on this one, with accents in another color?
It's hard for me to "move" a design from one contest theme or context to another, if you know what I mean.

Thanks! I actually have another idea for something in this style, but now that I have all of this great feedback, I think I'll have to try to fix this one up, too.

mollymerula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollymerula

Darn! I have a design which I absolutely love, but it's not really a slogan and I don't think it would count as art. It's just a bit of wittiness really. How strict are the guidelines?

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS

taternuggets

mollymerula wrote:Darn! I have a design which I absolutely love, but it's not really a slogan and I don't think it would count as art. It's just a bit of wittiness really. How strict are the guidelines?

if it has text and some sort of graphical element, you should be fine.

Nothing follows.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

I've got a few ideas but I'm going to be at Anthrocon all weekend. So I'll have to work on those on Monday but I do have one design ready...

yep.

I get to figure out how to post with the ipad tomorrow during the con. Should be fun.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

I'm having a dry spell. No design of mine has scored more than 30 votes so far this year. So I'm not asking much. Just more than 30 votes...

Should I bother with this design? Does this stand a chance of getting at least 31 votes? I'll even take pity votes at this point.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

I only feel guilty when my tank shirts.

Ha! @Marcee's soap shirt, and
Ha! @Ewing's graven image joke.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

EwingKlipspringer wrote:I'm having a dry spell. No design of mine has scored more than 30 votes so far this year. So I'm not asking much. Just more than 30 votes...

Should I bother with this design? Does this stand a chance of getting at least 31 votes? I'll even take pity votes at this point.

I actually looked up the Ten Commandments before I realized that these were the Ten Commendments.
Clever! Submit it!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Comments?

This quote is, as far as I can tell, in the public domain.
I'm not happy with the raven wings, but does this "work", as my professors would say?
Would it work better for the immortality shadow and the poet name to be behind the raven instead of slightly ahead?

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Comments?

This quote is, as far as I can tell, in the public domain.
I'm not happy with the raven wings, but does this "work", as my professors would say?
Would it work better for the immortality shadow and the poet name to be behind the raven instead of slightly ahead?

The poem is definitely in the public domain.

I don't think you need to include the dates the author lived or the title of the poem (and I have never seen that title before, by the way. Dickinson didn't give her poems titles, so usually just the first line is given as the title).

And, by the way, you misspelled her last name.

Other than that, I think the art works.

brostephhhx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brostephhhx

For some reason when I got to brainstorming my mind went in a more logo-ish direction. Do you think a more logo looking design would slide by the rejectionator? I looked at the slogan derby they linked to and they're kind of all over the place. Some look almost like logos and others like clever one liners.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

amanoxford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amanoxford

How about this, reckon it'll fly?

amanoxford

My other idea is this one, needs some cleaning etc still but...good?

Clerihewn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clerihewn
amanoxford wrote:My other idea is this one, needs some cleaning etc still but...good?

I think this looks pretty neat already. It's also a good, well-known reference. The only thing that bothers me is the antici-

-pation. ;)

amanoxford

Clerihewn wrote:I think this looks pretty neat already. It's also a good, well-known reference. The only thing that bothers me is the antici-

-pation. ;)

I hadn't scrolled the full page when I read this, I was sat there for a minute thinking "what the frak is a 'antici' is it some anti-design thing, oh god..." Yup, you got me, lol! :D

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
EwingKlipspringer wrote:I'm having a dry spell. No design of mine has scored more than 30 votes so far this year. So I'm not asking much. Just more than 30 votes...

You'd get my vote! (But you may want to re-consider the word a$$..,, the rejectionator might get you.)

07/11/14