WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The $10k Cup continues. This week, it's all about style. You've got three choices: Watercolor, Crosshatch, and Van Gogh. Check out these past derbies to see what we're looking for, then give us the best you've got. 

• No creme tees
  • For Watercolor designs, you can only use the following shirt colors: Silver, Slate, Lemon, Baby Blue, and White

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

Do the rules to the previous derbies apply to the same categories this time? (Such as no pop-culture for watercolor, no video games for Van Gogh, etc.)

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

I'm finding it confusing which rules apply to which style. No text, no video games, etc. Can we have a blanket set of rules for all styles?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I had this rough idea for the Van Gogh rules - I'm slightly overexcited about Guardians of the Galaxy - buuuuut I wonder if going ahead with it would hit the "we can't run this rule".

Spiritgreen

amugle wrote:Do the rules to the previous derbies apply to the same categories this time? (Such as no pop-culture for watercolor, no video games for Van Gogh, etc.)

Yes they do, the original blog post emphasized the different rules still stand.

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

I had this idea before the colors were specified for the watercolors. I wish I could do it in navy... That's by far my favorite. If anyone has any suggestions on improving the design, let me know! Thanks!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Spiritgreen wrote:I had this rough idea for the Van Gogh rules - I'm slightly overexcited about Guardians of the Galaxy - buuuuut I wonder if going ahead with it would hit the "we can't run this rule".

Man, its hard to tell. I think if they look generic enough, you'll be ok.

Clerihewn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clerihewn

Any chance of getting some feedback on this piece? It's Cthulhu inspired, Van Gogh style. Does it work?

Spiritgreen

omarfeliciano wrote:Man, its hard to tell. I think if they look generic enough, you'll be ok.

Well they would look somewhat abstract because of the expressionism but definitely recognisable. If I'm not sure I should go with something else I guess.

omarfeliciano

Spiritgreen wrote:Well they would look somewhat abstract because of the expressionism but definitely recognisable. If I'm not sure I should go with something else I guess.

Maybe if you don't outline the edges? Instead, the brushstrokes define their faces.

Or just say, "F" it, and do it anyway HAVE FUN, that is what this is about.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Ugh. Spent a bunch of time working on a watercolor design and then realized that, yeah, ain't no way it's going to work out the way I wanted. At least I realized that last night, instead of tonight with no more time to work on it. Whew.

Onto plan B, I suppose...

omarfeliciano

tjschaeffer wrote:Ugh. Spent a bunch of time working on a watercolor design and then realized that, yeah, ain't no way it's going to work out the way I wanted. At least I realized that last night, instead of tonight with no more time to work on it. Whew.

Onto plan B, I suppose...

Post the WIP

sonofafish

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
Clerihewn wrote:

Any chance of getting some feedback on this piece? It's Cthulhu inspired, Van Gogh style. Does it work?

I had a similar idea. Still very much a WIP:

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Clerihewn wrote:

I'd break some of the lines around Cthulhu--it looks like the edge is a solid line. And maybe a little less round head...looks kind of balloonish. Like the colors!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

I found these watercolor brushes the other day. I haven't played with them yet, but they look pretty badass. https://gumroad.com/kyletwebster
On a side note, why are there two fish and a level 1 shield next to my picture now? Did I miss something?

tjschaeffer

omarfeliciano wrote:Post the WIP

Sadly I can't post it right now. File's at home and I am at work

But I did just have a major moment of clarity in regards to how I could salvage the design! Now I just need to decide if I finish that design or work on the new idea I've had in the interim.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
cdrewlow wrote:On a side note, why are there two fish and a level 1 shield next to my picture now? Did I miss something?

ROGETRAY wrote:World of WootCrap: http://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5831368

orabbit

cdrewlow wrote:I found these watercolor brushes the other day. I haven't played with them yet, but they look pretty badass. https://gumroad.com/kyletwebster
On a side note, why are there two fish and a level 1 shield next to my picture now? Did I miss something?

Those brushes are great! I made this with them.

zombiesammich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombiesammich

Whoo cross-hatching! Now I just need to figure out which color scheme to go with.

Comments/Suggestions/Feedback?

I'm a little concerned that some of the lines might be too small. Woot seems to be able to print a good amount of detail, and I tried to keep it at least 5 pixels, but I'm still worried.

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

Whatcha think?! Excited about this one but welcome any advice or critiques!

tjschaeffer

orabbit wrote:Those brushes are great! I made this with them.

I am super duper tempted to buy some of those brushes. Need to convince the wife that these are necessary...

zombiesammich

leslieh01 wrote:

Whatcha think?! Excited about this one but welcome any advice or critiques!

Interesting concept - being in a 'starry night' sky it makes me think of constellations.

In the final draft will the chameleon be the only green critter? Will there be a greater variety of line width?

orabbit

zombiesammich wrote:Whoo cross-hatching! Now I just need to figure out which color scheme to go with.

Comments/Suggestions/Feedback?

I'm a little concerned that some of the lines might be too small. Woot seems to be able to print a good amount of detail, and I tried to keep it at least 5 pixels, but I'm still worried.

Black on white, but really, any dark on any light would work. Avoid light on dark, unless you drew it that way.

orabbit

One more question - do crosshatch designs still need to be one color? Seems like an unfair disadvantage.

zombiesammich

orabbit wrote:Black on white, but really, any dark on any light would work. Avoid light on dark, unless you drew it that way.

Thanks! Originally I drew the blue owl on a lemon shirt, but wasn't sure how many people would want a lemon yellow shirt. I have the same feeling about white shirts, but there must be some people who like them.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
orabbit wrote:One more question - do crosshatch designs still need to be one color? Seems like an unfair disadvantage.

Based on the original blog, yes. The only change is in the blanks available for the water color derby, since cream is off the menu.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

leslieh01

zombiesammich wrote:Interesting concept - being in a 'starry night' sky it makes me think of constellations.

In the final draft will the chameleon be the only green critter? Will there be a greater variety of line width?

So youre saying I need another green pet and more variety of line widths?

omarfeliciano

orabbit wrote:One more question - do crosshatch designs still need to be one color? Seems like an unfair disadvantage.

But, crosshatch people can use pop-culture (except Star Wars) and watercolor people can't.

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
omarfeliciano wrote:But, crosshatch people can use pop-culture (except Star Wars) and watercolor people can't.

Crosshatch people are dirty and watercolor people smell.

Nothing follows.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
taternuggets wrote:Crosshatch people are dirty and watercolor people smell.

This is dirty and smelly!

I started reworking on this thinking on Crosshatch, and then I realize its only one color rule, but the good thing was an excellent excuse to use water color for the details, and I very happy with the final product. I hope you like it

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Why WHY do we keep splitting up the forum like this.

orabbit

Watch it, Betta Koi. V'Owls have their eyes on you.

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos
walmazan wrote:This is dirty and smelly!

I started reworking on this thinking on Crosshatch, and then I realize its only one color rule, but the good thing was an excellent excuse to use water color for the details, and I very happy with the final product. I hope you like it

that's an awesome design.

so can we mix styles?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
no1 wrote:

So we're betta koi brothers?

tjschaeffer wrote:I am super duper tempted to buy some of those brushes. Need to convince the wife that these are necessary...

Look at it in alcohol terms and it's much more justifiable. $7 watercolor brushes is only one fancy martini...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
agingdragqueen wrote:Why WHY do we keep splitting up the forum like this.

<__<

>__>

.oO(I think it's the colors tearing us apart.)

^^;

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
mecos wrote:that's an awesome design.

so can we mix styles?

No. They want us to retain the rules of each derby, individually... With the exception of the shirt color list for Watercolors (since creme is not available).

leslieh01

How about this one?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

NOnono- I made what is likely my favorite shirt design ever and just realized you can't have text on watercolor shirts- -and it doesn't work as well without it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
leslieh01 wrote:

How about this one?

I personally like that one much better. It's pretty and simple and more wearable, in my opinion. I don't actually understand the point of the Van Gogh one. Why did you choose the animals that you did? Is there meaning that I'm missing?

PS I think I'd like it better without the gradient bubble behind it.

Please consider voting for my shirts:

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
oakenspirit wrote:NOnono- I made what is likely my favorite shirt design ever and just realized you can't have text on watercolor shirts- -and it doesn't work as well without it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Sorry... that sucks.... I've been there.

Nothing follows.