WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The $10k Cup CONTINUES! This week we're looking for your best pop culture mash-up designs! Think of your design as a mixer between your favorite TV shows, movies, comic books, whatever you got! Just remember, IT SHOULD BE PARODY.

• No creme tees
  • No shirts made of cream
  • Copyright rules apply (be warned: we reject at our discretion)

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

It's the WootFury derby! Let the disappointments begin!

(j/k, and I admit to having a fair share of pop-culture shirts too. Here's hoping for some real creative mashups.)

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
Narfcake wrote:It's the WootFury derby! Let the disappointments begin!

(j/k, and I admit to having a fair share of pop-culture shirts too. Here's hoping for some real creative mashups.)

Like cats and Doctor Who?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
marceepauff wrote:Like cats and Doctor Who?

Prior art exists

move along

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no - but with the new derby rules I find myself unsure enough to ask. If I have a design that has been up on a site like RedBubble, could I submit it to a derby if it no one has ever bought one and I take it down before the derby begins? I feel like that would have been a clear no-no in the past, but thought I'd clarify for the present. Thanks!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
marceepauff wrote:Like cats and Doctor Who?

Cats aren't popculture...

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's a sneak peek at mine. You're a Good Turtle, Leonardo.
I may remove the blobby background shape...

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
ApeLad wrote:Here's a sneak peek at mine. You're a Good Turtle, Leonardo.
I may remove the blobby background shape...

Very nice. Definitely lose the blob.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jessisima wrote:I'm guessing the answer to this question is no - but with the new derby rules I find myself unsure enough to ask. If I have a design that has been up on a site like RedBubble, could I submit it to a derby if it no one has ever bought one and I take it down before the derby begins? I feel like that would have been a clear no-no in the past, but thought I'd clarify for the present. Thanks!

We would prefer not to have it submitted to the derby if it has been for sale elsewhere. From our point of view it's still tricky if it was for sale but hasn't sold anything because we have no way to confirm. I'm sure things like this have gotten through in the past as we're not omnipresent, but your best bet is to try to avoid it as you could risk rejection if we aren't comfortable running it.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
omarfeliciano wrote:Cats aren't popculture...

What about a Garfield - Dr. Who mash-up?

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Here's my mashup:

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
tgentry wrote:We would prefer not to have it submitted to the derby if it has been for sale elsewhere. From our point of view it's still tricky if it was for sale but hasn't sold anything because we have no way to confirm. I'm sure things like this have gotten through in the past as we're not omnipresent, but your best bet is to try to avoid it as you could risk rejection if we aren't comfortable running it.

Ok, thanks for the response

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Oooo boy. This derby has proven to come up with some of the best and worst shirts in the past. Here's to hoping it's a good one.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Book of Cheats ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

p0ckets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p0ckets

Hmm, flirting with chance here - reckon either of these will get through?

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

Man, you guys are so, like... done with your pieces. I'm still at the pencil stage. I guess I shoulda started before last night.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
thatrobert wrote:Very nice. Definitely lose the blob.

Done! Thanks!

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Yeah, I didn't work on anything this week when I had the time... oops. Here's a VERY MESSY AUGH sketch for my first idea, 'Sailor That's No Moon'. In the name of the Dark Side, she will punish you.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

"The Princess"
Miyazaki meets Miyamoto.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
ste7enl wrote:

"The Princess"
Miyazaki meets Miyamoto.

[HEAVY BREATHING]

Ilovethisomg.

ste7enl

anemality wrote:[HEAVY BREATHING]

Ilovethisomg.

Thanks! I just updated the file (if you look above). I resized it on the wrong settings, it looks better now.

enaych

quality posts: 5 Private Messages enaych

OK, I’ve never posted here before asking for opinions… not because I wouldn’t value them, but because I usually work so slowly that I don’t have anything to share while the conversation is getting attention. But I didn’t do anything for the last derby to focus more on this one.

So here’s what I’ve got. And I can’t decide between the version that includes eyes and the one that doesn’t. Part of me thinks the style looks simpler and cleaner without it, and they don’t add much information, but part of me thinks it looks more complete with them.

It's titled "That CAN'T Happen HERE!"

I welcome any other comments, though at this point I’m not sure how much I’d have time to change. Thanks!

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

Is this mashed-up enough?

I don't have any cats or Tardes (is that the plural?), but I was wondering what would happen if Quentin Tarantino directed any of those Scholastic Rock shorts...

ste7enl

EwingKlipspringer wrote:Is this mashed-up enough?

I don't have any cats or Tardes (is that the plural?), but I was wondering what would happen if Quentin Tarantino directed any of those Scholastic Rock shorts...

Dammit Obamacare! I knew there were going to be "death panels."

Nitetigrezz

p0ckets wrote:Hmm, flirting with chance here - reckon either of these will get through?

LOVE the first one, but then I can never get enough Who shirts. Not so much a fan of the second one if only because I've never been much of a fan of Adventure Time, so... I'm probably not a great source of unbiased opinion XD

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Book of Cheats ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

And so begins the glorious avalanche!

Nitetigrezz

Wow! Looking at the entries so far, I'm getting more and more excited about these! Great job you guys!

sonofafish

I'm curious if people will get my references by just looking (without a boost from the title). Still WIP and only one element of the whole:

Nitetigrezz

sonofafish wrote:I'm curious if people will get my references by just looking (without a boost from the title). Still WIP and only one element of the whole:

I feel like I should know this one x.x The Popeye element is obvious, but the onions... dagnab it's like right on the fringes of my brain >.<

sonofafish

Nitetigrezz wrote:I feel like I should know this one x.x The Popeye element is obvious, but the onions... dagnab it's like right on the fringes of my brain >.<

Well, at least it looks like Popeye! Halfway there :D

cdrewlow

sonofafish wrote:Well, at least it looks like Popeye! Halfway there :D

The linework is solid, but without other elements, all I've got is Popeye. But still, it's a great start.

adamchatfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamchatfield
sonofafish wrote:I'm curious if people will get my references by just looking (without a boost from the title). Still WIP and only one element of the whole:

Looks like the guy from The Last Of Us

sonofafish

adamchatfield wrote:Looks like the guy from The Last Of Us

Haha, nice guess, but I don't even have a PS3 or 4!
See, this is why it's so useful to ask, because I was convinced it was obvious.
I won't say yet, but it's also a sailor, and the can of onions and pouch around his neck are the main clues.
Anyway, thanks for the input so far, guys!

cdrewlow

sonofafish wrote:Haha, nice guess, but I don't even have a PS3 or 4!
See, this is why it's so useful to ask, because I was convinced it was obvious.
I won't say yet, but it's also a sailor, and the can of onions and pouch around his neck are the main clues.
Anyway, thanks for the input so far, guys!

Ha! and the lack of fingers. Davos!

sonofafish

anemality wrote:Yeah, I didn't work on anything this week when I had the time... oops. Here's a VERY MESSY AUGH sketch for my first idea, 'Sailor That's No Moon'. In the name of the Dark Side, she will punish you.

Confession: I hate Sailor Moon. That said, I can't wait to see how this turns out! Is the cat darth vader? Because I kinda imagine Tuxedo Mask in that role.

ste7enl

Davos?

sonofafish

cdrewlow wrote:Ha! and the lack of fingers. Davos!

ste7enl wrote:Davos?

DINGDINGDING! I love guessing games (and I also resemble Gollum)!

sonofafish

ste7enl wrote:

"The Princess"
Miyazaki meets Miyamoto.

DAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYMMM. you're gonna win, dude.

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

Whatch think?

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
omarfeliciano wrote:Cats aren't popculture...

: looks down at @wanderingbert's Kitty.

Huh?

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring

I was thinking of making a parody of the Chic-Fi-La slogan Eat more Chicken. Can I use that or should I come up with something close but not exact?

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu