WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The $10k Cup CONTINUES! You know how you're always like, "I wish I could do a design using one of those fancy specialty inks?" And then we're always like, "How'd you get past security?" This is your lucky week! We're looking for designs that feature EITHER glow-in-the-dark OR metallic ink! Show us somethin' real purdy!

• Glow or metallic ink are allowed and required (one or the other, not both). Check out previous metallic and glow derbies for guidelines.
  • No crème tees.

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Super excited to see what comes of this. Good luck to everyone!

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Wheels03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wheels03

Thinking about subbing this, but wasn't sure if the Tengwar script was an issue or not. Also, only one color ink for metallic designs, correct?

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
Wheels03 wrote:Thinking about subbing this, but wasn't sure if the Tengwar script was an issue or not. Also, only one color ink for metallic designs, correct?

One color is correct- and they have canned numerous designs in the past for using Tengwar- You have to fake it, sadly... Your design looks cool though!

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:One color is correct- and they have canned numerous designs in the past for using Tengwar- You have to fake it, sadly... Your design looks cool though!

That sucks it has to be faked >.< Always loved the look of it.

This design will still be pretty awesome. Just don't know how happy the more hardcore LotR fans will be to have fake Tengwar on their shirts.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

oakenspirit

Here's an example of faked tengwar- Wirdou's rad tee I own!

It can still look cool, but yeah, it's sad it can't be exact.

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:Here's an example of faked tengwar- Wirdou's rad tee I own!

It can still look cool, but yeah, it's sad it can't be exact.

I remember that one! Did pretty well too XD Glad to see fake Tengwar can still rock it, even when the ring is a focal point.

oakenspirit

Hey- so the general opinion is split down the middle so far-

Should this be GOLD or SILVER-

Gold on black is the HOUSE GREYJOY colors and looks super cool (and more similar to the Price is Right logo)...

HOWEVER- it says IRON, which is silver (or black) in color, and seems perhaps more Game of Thronesy...

CAN NOT DECIDE- heh

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:Hey- so the general opinion is split down the middle so far-

Should this be GOLD or SILVER-

Gold on black is the HOUSE GREYJOY colors and looks super cool (and more similar to the Price is Right logo)...

HOWEVER- it says IRON, which is silver (or black) in color, and seems perhaps more Game of Thronesy...

CAN NOT DECIDE- heh

Ugh, both look epic for completely different reasons >.< And that design is very well done. Umm... Gold would be more true to form and more props to the origins on both accounts... but silver looks so epic and gives nods to the iron... um... go with.... ~head 'splodes~

Wheels03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wheels03
oakenspirit wrote:One color is correct- and they have canned numerous designs in the past for using Tengwar- You have to fake it, sadly... Your design looks cool though!

What if the text was somewhat distressed and parts of it were not visible? Also, possibly using my own English version of the One Ring inscription with Tengwar-esque font? I know I'm splitting hairs, but the joke's kinda lost without it :/

oakenspirit

Nitetigrezz wrote:Ugh, both look epic for completely different reasons >.< And that design is very well done. Umm... Gold would be more true to form and more props to the origins on both accounts... but silver looks so epic and gives nods to the iron... um... go with.... ~head 'splodes~

SEE!?!?!?! ;)

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:SEE!?!?!?! ;)

Absolutely! It's almost a shame you can't do a gold fading into silver v.v

Dagnabbit Oakenspirit, choices like this are supposed to be obvious! ~flails~

Nitetigrezz

Wheels03 wrote:What if the text was somewhat distressed and parts of it were not visible? I know I'm splitting hairs, but the joke's kinda lost without it :/

I don't know if that'll be enough. The Rejectionator can be very hardcore when it comes to copyright laws >.<

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
Nitetigrezz wrote:Ugh, both look epic for completely different reasons >.< And that design is very well done. Umm... Gold would be more true to form and more props to the origins on both accounts... but silver looks so epic and gives nods to the iron... um... go with.... ~head 'splodes~

I'd say use silver if you could add some red to it to designate the iron price, but since it's only one color, I'd go gold.

LPyne

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LPyne

FWIW I don't think I would have gotten the Price is Right reference if I only saw it in silver. It's awesome!

Nitetigrezz

LPyne wrote:FWIW I don't think I would have gotten the Price is Right reference if I only saw it in silver. It's awesome!

That's a good point, actually. The gold makes it clear exactly what's being referenced, and many-a GoT fans will rejoice that it's true to Greyjoy colors. As cool as the silver looks, gold will probably get more squees.

Edit: Admittedly, there is a bit of awkwardness when looking at the gold and reading iron. Less-so with the silver. It looks like there's going to be a bit of give and take no matter which you go with. Either way though, will definitely get my vote.

oakenspirit

Thanks a ton guys- I'll meditate for the next while and see what sticks but I am beginning to side with gold... NO SILVER... err... gold...

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Can we get official word on if we can use additional colors with the specialty ink? I'm a bit thrown off by the word "guidelines" here, when the styles derby said "rules".

Nitetigrezz

kinzoku wrote:Can we get official word on if we can use additional colors with the specialty ink? I'm a bit thrown off by the word "guidelines" here, when the styles derby said "rules".

It looks pretty straight-forward when you follow the links. The metallic is JUST the silver or gold, and no other color. The glow MUST be over white. More rules found in each of the links provided in the first post.

Don't take my word as Word of God though, please >.<

wootdude5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdude5

I am going to make a shirt (glow in the dark) with the vashta nerada from Dr who! (Hey who turned out the lights)

Nitetigrezz

wootdude5 wrote:I am going to make a shirt (glow in the dark) with the vashta nerada from Dr who! (Hey who turned out the lights)

...you just have to go and make this derby's entries that much more difficult to choose between, don't you?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

How do you guys plan to handle the hms for this derby, since dtg can't handle specialty ink?

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

I think I'll take this opportunity to make the badass mermaid shirt that a few people think I should tackle. That would be nice in shiny metallic, I think.

leslieh01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leslieh01

Obviously, this one isn't finished but I thought I'd ask for input anyway.

WEEEELL! Whatcha think?

Nitetigrezz

anemality wrote:I think I'll take this opportunity to make the badass mermaid shirt that a few people think I should tackle. That would be nice in shiny metallic, I think.

Curious now! Underwater themes always seem best in metallic!

leslieh01 wrote:WEEEELL! Whatcha think?

Holy submissions Batman, looks like the GITD really inspired you XD

I think I'm missing the reference for the first one. Maybe if you could do something with the glow for the tiger one that makes it a bit different somehow? I dunno how I feel about just grabbing a glow tiger. I like the last one, but then I'm a Whovian ~shrugs

leslieh01

Nitetigrezz wrote:Holy submissions Batman, looks like the GITD really inspired you XD

I think I'm missing the reference for the first one. Maybe if you could do something with the glow for the tiger one that makes it a bit different somehow? I dunno how I feel about just grabbing a glow tiger. I like the last one, but then I'm a Whovian ~shrugs

There's supposed to be a reference to fan-doms? I thought it was just glow or metallic.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Here's my entry for the final round. What a fight it's been so far!

Back when I first started entering the derby, nearly 5 years ago, it was all about bunnies. "No Bunnies" was more common back then than "No Doctor Who". So it seems appropriate to end with one. ^__^

Ninja By Night

Nitetigrezz

leslieh01 wrote:There's supposed to be a reference to fan-doms? I thought it was just glow or metallic.

Nah, was just wondering if there was more to it than met the eye. Kind of like Spiritgreen's above this comment o.o

maximus08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximus08
leslieh01 wrote:WEEEELL! Whatcha think?

I'm sure you can jam a tardis into those other 3 designs if you really challenged yourself.

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
maximus08 wrote:I'm sure you can jam a tardis into those other 3 designs if you really challenged yourself.

Usually we try to stick to constructive criticism here.

Nitetigrezz

sonofafish wrote:Usually we try to stick to constructive criticism here.

Thank you >.< I was trying and failing to think of a nice way to word that. I think I've been reading too many Cracked articles though.

sonofafish

leslieh01 wrote:
WEEEELL! Whatcha think?

I like the snake, finish that!

I had the same idea as far as the Cheshire cat, and I feel fairly certain we're not the only 2. Make sure it looks as good as possible, it's gonna have to be better than the others. (and I'm not actually subbing one, I feel like someone will probably also do it and do it better than I can)

The rest I'd say you want some kind of a --> b progression (like spiritgreen did). Just glowing is ok, but it's much much cooler if you make more creative use of the GITD ink. I'd also caution you against using comic sans, both in your timey wimey design and also anywhere ever. It's pretty much universally reviled and will cost you votes.

leslieh01

sonofafish wrote:I like the snake, finish that!

I had the same idea as far as the Cheshire cat, and I feel fairly certain we're not the only 2. Make sure it looks as good as possible, it's gonna have to be better than the others. (and I'm not actually subbing one, I feel like someone will probably also do it and do it better than I can)

The rest I'd say you want some kind of a --> b progression (like spiritgreen did). Just glowing is ok, but it's much much cooler if you make more creative use of the GITD ink. I'd also caution you against using comic sans, both in your timey wimey design and also anywhere ever. It's pretty much universally reviled and will cost you votes.

Thanks! I'll work on it!

leslieh01

Here's a glow tiger redo. Too much? Just the eyes and teeth looked boring.

Nitetigrezz

sonofafish wrote:

One of my favorite GITD shirts here is This One, tbh. I love hidden things like that :3

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
sonofafish wrote:Usually we try to stick to constructive criticism here.

Since when exactly? I thought it was a good point.... If she start subbing tardises every week, how far do you think she will get?

You gotta be able to take all criticism here, not just the constructive kind. If you aren't willing to hear the hard stuff, you are really limiting your ability to grow. I've learned just as much from the attacks on my designs as I have from the compliments. Hell, I embrace the attacks... they are a jackpot for votes.

Nothing follows.

sonofafish

taternuggets wrote:Since when exactly? I thought it was a good point.... If she start subbing tardises every week, how far do you think she will get?

You gotta be able to take all criticism here, not just the constructive kind. If you aren't willing to hear the hard stuff, you are really limiting your ability to grow. I've learned just as much from the attacks on my designs as I have from the compliments. Hell, I embrace the attacks... they are a jackpot for votes.

Well, how about this then: snark is boring. Literally anyone can do it, and it's a cheap replacement for real wit.

And the time to bare your fangs is AFTER it's been subbed. Rookie move doing it here, while the artist can still fix the problem.

Oh, one other thing: she's been subbing Tardises. Several. Every week. She also beat us both on votes (with a Tardis!) this last go around, IIRC.

leslieh01

Here's another glow tiger.

sonofafish

sonofafish wrote:Well, how about this then: snark is boring. Literally anyone can do it, and it's a cheap replacement for real wit.

And the time to bare your fangs is AFTER it's been subbed. Rookie move doing it here, while the artist can still fix the problem.

Oh, one other thing: she's been subbing Tardises. Several. Every week. She also beat us both on votes (with a Tardis!) this last go around, IIRC.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, I would have questioned the efficacy of subbing 5 tardises /wk until recently, but I'm finding that the only blanket statement you can make about voter trends is that they will almost invariably subvert the last blanket statement made about them.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
sonofafish wrote:Well, how about this then: snark is boring. Literally anyone can do it, and it's a cheap replacement for real wit.

I don't really agree with much of anything you've said here. You think it would be better to criticize an entry after it is submitted because then an artist couldn't fix it.... you think that's helpful advice? Your response to my too many tardis designs is to point out that she has several more tardis designs?

I'll leave you to it then. You obviously have things well in hand here.

Nothing follows.