WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Do you ever wonder what the Aeneid would look like in 8-bit? What do you mean "no?" This week, we want you to turn a PUBLIC DOMAIN literary classic into a video game. If you're anything like us, your long-dormant-high-school-self is probably elated right about now.

-No creme tees!!

But listen up, buckaroo! This is an upcoming Derby preview! Wanna get a head start on the next two derbies?

Derby #370: Adorable (Launches 8/22)

We want to see some cute stuff, and we want to see it now. Also no creme tees.

Derby #371: Everyday Businesses of Famous Characters (Launches 8/29)

Show us famous characters at work in everyday jobs. Think about company logos and such. (Remember the copyright rules, and yep, no creme tees!)

Good luck, Shirters!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Holy advance notice, shirt man!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Liking all the announcements!!!!

Can we have some rules, please?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Yay!!! I love advance notification of upcoming derby themes!

It gives my slow-working self extra time to prepare.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
omarfeliciano wrote:Liking all the announcements!!!!

Can we have some rules, please?

... no creme!

leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

I never have understood the no creme thing. Is it a nasty creme? I like cream and creme. Haha

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

remember people: Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes is NOT public domain.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

OH MAN- Why can't this theme be one of the advance notice ones and the adorable one be this week!?!? Don't know if I have the time to give this what it deserves- Back to teaching and "Meet the Teacher" night is tonight...

Awesome theme- Now to narrow ideas-

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
no1 wrote:... no creme!

That's a "limitation", not a rule :/

jnolen85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnolen85

!! Awesome...

leslieh01

What time period of "classics" do you mean? Only BC or how far up through AD is ok?

oakenspirit

Can we add a NO ROBIN WILLIAMS rule? I don't like it when celebrity death becomes profit...

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
oakenspirit wrote:Can we add a NO ROBIN WILLIAMS rule? I don't like it when celebrity death becomes profit...

You just ruined all three of my designs.

Nothing follows.

sonofafish

oakenspirit wrote:Can we add a NO ROBIN WILLIAMS rule? I don't like it when celebrity death becomes profit...

Those would already rightfully earn a "nope" rejection. I would hope.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Thanks for the advance derbies woot. You rock.

Nothing follows.

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Haha! It looks like woot learned something from last month! Looking forward to the great designs :D

leslieh01 wrote:I never have understood the no creme thing. Is it a nasty creme? I like cream and creme. Haha

AA, the blanks woot used to use, allowed for creme tees. Anvil, the current blanks, does not. As for why it's even an option anymore is still up for debate though >.>

~ First ever Book of Cheats ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 104.9/2000

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

As a person whose art brain sometimes rebels and will not allow me to be productive on a certain day of the week, I totally dig having these derby previews!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Nitetigrezz wrote:As for why it's even an option anymore is still up for debate though >.>

There are still cream shirts for sale in the catalog, especially a very cute Coffee Stain Cats design. :D
http://shirt.woot.com/catalog?color=cream

sonofafish

Nitetigrezz wrote:Haha! It looks like woot learned something from last month! Looking forward to the great designs :D

AA, the blanks woot used to use, allowed for creme tees. Anvil, the current blanks, does not. As for why it's even an option anymore is still up for debate though >.>

They were still available well into the Anvil Era. For some reason (I've been told a number of times but I'm also not especially bright), they've become more difficult / expensive to source. I think the reason for the status quo of disclaiming it weekly is because of some expectation that the sourcing issue is temporary. I guess.

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I can't help myself. I HATE the way the current tees fit. IF the neck were any larger...... I would buy so many more tees if they had the old shirts.

Nitetigrezz wrote:Haha! It looks like woot learned something from last month! Looking forward to the great designs :D

Nitetigrezz

fishbiscuit5 wrote:There are still cream shirts for sale in the catalog, especially a very cute Coffee Stain Cats design. :D
http://shirt.woot.com/catalog?color=cream

I still have mine! It was the third shirt I ever bought from woot, way back in 2009 <3 Still holding up strong too with no sign of wear (so happy!). My dad grins everytime he sees it on me too XD So thank you for bringing many smiles to my dad!

Nitetigrezz

sonofafish wrote:They were still available well into the Anvil Era. For some reason (I've been told a number of times but I'm also not especially bright), they've become more difficult / expensive to source. I think the reason for the status quo of disclaiming it weekly is because of some expectation that the sourcing issue is temporary. I guess.

That's what it was! Thanks for clarifying. Been trying to kick the caffeine habbit, so my brain seems to be stuck on only halfway awake x.x

fishbiscuit5

Nitetigrezz wrote:I still have mine! It was the third shirt I ever bought from woot, way back in 2009 <3 Still holding up strong too with no sign of wear (so happy!). My dad grins everytime he sees it on me too XD So thank you for bringing many smiles to my dad!

Awwww, that makes ME smile! Thank you for telling me.

fishbiscuit5

leslieh01 wrote:What time period of "classics" do you mean? Only BC or how far up through AD is ok?

Books in the Public Domain: http://www.gutenberg.org

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
leslieh01 wrote:What time period of "classics" do you mean? Only BC or how far up through AD is ok?

Since they specifically mentioned the public domain, that would take us in the US up through about 1924, I think...

Nitetigrezz

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Books in the Public Domain: http://www.gutenberg.org

The Kama Sutra is public domain? ~headtilts~ Guess it's a good thing this isn't XWoot!

Also, glad I could make you smile

Edit: Holy wow! Reading some of the titles in the top 100 alone from that site is making me giddy XD It looks like this could be an artist's gold mine. I'm totally excited to see what you guys can come up with!

sonofafish

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Books in the Public Domain: http://www.gutenberg.org

Basically look for 3 more Alice in Wonderland shirts starting next Friday. Outside chance of some Cthulhus.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
sonofafish wrote:Basically look for 3 more Alice in Wonderland shirts starting next Friday. Outside chance of some Cthulhus.

True. Moby chalk and Edgar Allan Poe will be well covered, too.

oakenspirit

sonofafish wrote:Those would already rightfully earn a "nope" rejection. I would hope.

I meant more along the lines of tribute art- like the 200 Aladdin pictures that have popped up this last week. I've seen a bunch of shirt sites with them already and it just seems too opportunistic to me. With A THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS a part of the theme, this worry came to my head.

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:I meant more along the lines of tribute art- like the 200 Aladdin pictures that have popped up this last week. I've seen a bunch of shirt sites with them already and it just seems too opportunistic to me. With A THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS a part of the theme, this worry came to my head.

I was thinking about that too. On the one hand, I honestly would be happy to have a tribute shirt, but on the other it doesn't seem right to profit from Mr. Williams' death- or anyone's death, for that matter.

If anything, I would love it if woot artists got together and created a few tribute shirts, but then all the money went to one of the many charities Mr. Williams sponsored or helped create. It could be the ultimate special edition, and then the shirts can truly be worn with pride.

Somehow doubt this could happen, but one can always hope, right?

leslieh01

Nitetigrezz wrote:I was thinking about that too. On the one hand, I honestly would be happy to have a tribute shirt, but on the other it doesn't seem right to profit from Mr. Williams' death- or anyone's death, for that matter.

If anything, I would love it if woot artists got together and created a few tribute shirts, but then all the money went to one of the many charities Mr. Williams sponsored or helped create. It could be the ultimate special edition, and then the shirts can truly be worn with pride.

GREAT IDEA, Nitetigerzz!

sonofafish

Nitetigrezz wrote:I was thinking about that too. On the one hand, I honestly would be happy to have a tribute shirt, but on the other it doesn't seem right to profit from Mr. Williams' death- or anyone's death, for that matter.

very sweet idea, but still too soon. It's too hard to know the intent and would still look from the outside like profiting from his death. While the wound is still fresh, I think it's best to leave him and his family be.

Too many people haven't, so I think the best tribute is extra respect for their privacy.

leslieh01

Does it have to be 8 bit? What about 16 and 32 and 64 and beyond? The Title AND author in the design? A box? A scene? A character? or any of that? Design video games is GREEK to me! Haha. Though I LOVE all the Lego games! I've played all of them.

Nitetigrezz

leslieh01 wrote:Does it have to be 8 bit? What about 16 and 32 and 64 and beyond? The Title AND author in the design? A box? A scene? A character? or any of that? Design video games is GREEK to me! Haha. Though I LOVE all the Lego games! I've played all of them.

It's definitely just 8-bit. Feel free to hop onto Google Images for Popular 8-bit Games and you should get some great examples.

leslieh01

Nitetigrezz wrote:It's definitely just 8-bit. Feel free to hop onto Google Images for Popular 8-bit Games and you should get some great examples.

I'm doing that now. Hehe. I just didn't know if it should be a box art, a game scene or what.

sonofafish

leslieh01 wrote:I'm doing that now. Hehe. I just didn't know if it should be a box art, a game scene or what.

That's a really good point / question. Can we get clarification? Should it be specifically pixel art or can it be box art?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Nitetigrezz wrote:It's definitely just 8-bit. Feel free to hop onto Google Images for Popular 8-bit Games and you should get some great examples.

I don't see where it specifically says it has to be 8-bit. I think they were using that more as an example.

Nitetigrezz

tjschaeffer wrote:I don't see where it specifically says it has to be 8-bit. I think they were using that more as an example.

Aaah kay, I see.

If we could just drag a staff-member from the woot-off long enough, some answers might be had all around xp

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

leslieh01 wrote:Does it have to be 8 bit? What about 16 and 32 and 64 and beyond? The Title AND author in the design? A box? A scene? A character? or any of that? Design video games is GREEK to me! Haha. Though I LOVE all the Lego games! I've played all of them.

It doesn't have to be anything except not on creme (and generally fit the theme).

dealseekin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dealseekin

I'll look out for these - awesome