WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The real world is full of horrible, awful, gruesome things. We all need a diversion from that stuff. For solace, we turn to the soft, the wide-eyed, the vulnerable. Bring on the cute stuff!

-No creme tees!!

 

PLUS! If you haven't already, you can still get a head start on Derby #371: Everyday Businesses of Famous Characters.

Show us famous characters at work in everyday jobs. Think about company logos and such.

-Remember the copyright rules

-No creme tees!

That derby launches 8/29, so start them sketches!



walmazan


quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

knock knock.. is anybody there?

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets


Nothing follows.

anemality


quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
walmazan wrote:knock knock.. is anybody there?



Orange!

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
anemality wrote:Orange!



Orange who?

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
omarfeliciano wrote:Orange who?



Orange you glad I didn't say banana!

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
cdrewlow wrote:Orange you glad I didn't say banana!



Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Oh jeebus, so the cheesiness begins with the cheesy jokes XD


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

I could really use a collaborator on this idea I have! I'm on a learning curve with this new Bamboo Create tablet. Haha. I have some of my idea drawn already but it definitely could use an experts touch!

marceepauff


quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
leslieh01 wrote:I could really use a collaborator on this idea I have! I'm on a learning curve with this new Bamboo Create tablet. Haha. I have some of my idea drawn already but it definitely could use an experts touch!



My guess is a lot of the 'experts' are involved in their own ideas and concepts so yours isn't a priority. Maybe if you posted your sketches someone would get excited about it and offer to help - and, if not, at least give you some pointers if you decided you wanted to give it a shot.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
marceepauff wrote:at least give you some pointers if you decided you wanted to give it a shot.



1. draw it on paper
2. scan
3. clean up & colour on computer
4. enter derby
5. __________
6. profits!

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01
no1 wrote:1. draw it on paper
2. scan
3. clean up & colour on computer
4. enter derby
5. __________
6. profits!



Thanks for advice, y'all.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

I already know a good bulk of woot artists have the adorable factor nailed down pat, so it'll be interesting to see what's done to make entries truly stand out from the rest. Here's the chance to either sink in with every other adorable design that's come and gone or to find a way to take up to a new, creative level.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
marceepauff wrote:My guess is a lot of the 'experts' are involved in their own ideas and concepts so yours isn't a priority. Maybe if you posted your sketches someone would get excited about it and offer to help - and, if not, at least give you some pointers if you decided you wanted to give it a shot.



alternatively, the original poster could look at past derbies, figger out which artists match up well with the idear, and ask one directly. when a general call for collab is put out to the crowd, imo "diffusion of responsibility" often happens and nobody steps up. things change when one asks a specific induhvidual. that artist mite even take it as a compliment!

baloubetdurouet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baloubetdurouet

I've a feeling this week's competition is gonna be extra fierce. can't wait to see what people come up with! bring on the cute!

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01
no1 wrote:alternatively, the original poster could look at past derbies, figger out which artists match up well with the idear, and ask one directly. when a general call for collab is put out to the crowd, imo "diffusion of responsibility" often happens and nobody steps up. things change when one asks a specific induhvidual. that artist mite even take it as a compliment!



That's what I did first. Contacted 2. One replied that he was busy with his entry already but suggested others. Was encouraging about learning Bamboo.

But hey! I drew my design on paper, scanned it, traced it. Now I'm working on cleaning it up and coloring. Thanks for the idea! I knew I could do that but just needed someone else to jam it into my head! Haha.

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01
baloubetdurouet wrote:I've a feeling this week's competition is gonna be extra fierce. can't wait to see what people come up with! bring on the cute!



Yes! Fiercely adorable! Haha.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
no1 wrote:alternatively, the original poster could look at past derbies, figger out which artists match up well with the idear, and ask one directly. when a general call for collab is put out to the crowd, imo "diffusion of responsibility" often happens and nobody steps up. things change when one asks a specific induhvidual. that artist mite even take it as a compliment!



Oh goodness, most of our first aide class was about Diffussion of Responsibility and the importance of telling specific people in a crowd what to do >.<

Still, some great advice there with great points.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Nitetigrezz wrote:Oh goodness, most of our first aide class was about Diffussion of Responsibility and the importance of telling specific people in a crowd what to do >.<



"you there! go get me a sammich!"

Nitetigrezz wrote:Still, some great advice there with great points.



won't happen again, i assure you.

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
no1 wrote:alternatively, the original poster could look at past derbies, figger out which artists match up well with the idear, and ask one directly. when a general call for collab is put out to the crowd, imo "diffusion of responsibility" often happens and nobody steps up. things change when one asks a specific induhvidual. that artist mite even take it as a compliment!



dude, that's too smart an idear for your persona. could've at least misspelled "diffusion."

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
sonofafish wrote:dude, that's too smart an idear for your persona. could've at least misspelled "diffusion."



I WAS POSESED BY STAN

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
no1 wrote:I WAS POSESED BY STAN



Are you sure it won't happen again then? >.>


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

bluejester


quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
no1 wrote:I WAS POSESED BY STAN





Excelsior!

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
bluejester wrote:

Excelsior!



Yep.

That made me gigglesnort.

You win internets for the day.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
taternuggets wrote:



Is this going to be in a frame like it is now? White T-shirt? Trying to find something to improve. Looks fine to me.

thatquietgir1


quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1

Cute is hard...

anemality


quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Random question unrelated to horribull puns or bad jokes: Does anyone else find it hard to pull off shading over a color that is formed by using low transparency over another color and then halftoned together? When I convert the image to halftones, it always seems to eat half of my colors and leave things looking... flat.

That said, I think I'm too tired to do my shading tonight!

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
thatquietgir1 wrote:Cute is hard...



That's why you don't shoot for cute. You shoot for adorable ~sage nods~


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
anemality wrote:Random question unrelated to horribull puns or bad jokes: Does anyone else find it hard to pull off shading over a color that is formed by using low transparency over another color and then halftoned together? When I convert the image to halftones, it always seems to eat half of my colors and leave things looking... flat.

That said, I think I'm too tired to do my shading tonight!



I fall in to that all the time. Don't know a great solution, but I find that playing with the angle of the halftones sometimes makes me feel better about the look.

GL

oakenspirit


quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
oakenspirit wrote:I fall in to that all the time. Don't know a great solution, but I find that playing with the angle of the halftones sometimes makes me feel better about the look.

GL




I have also used load selection on the halftoned layer, EXPANDED it by a pixel or two and then filled the selection to make the color a little more bold.

???

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano

For the firs time ever, I think I'll have a design for Narfcake ;)

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

Okay.... cute is typically NOT my thing so some critique would go a long way.

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
cfdunbar wrote:Okay.... cute is typically NOT my thing so some critique would go a long way.



The character looks great, but maybe try a font called Wendy instead, and make it bigger. The stars are a little much. You want the focus to be on the character with a few stars for interest. Also, the crown thingy looks pasted on. The line weights are different I guess.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
omarfeliciano wrote:For the firs time ever, I think I'll have a design for Narfcake ;)





FoxSonic


quality posts: 2 Private Messages FoxSonic
cfdunbar wrote:Okay.... cute is typically NOT my thing so some critique would go a long way.



You've already gotten my vote with that one. lol. GL

-Thae-

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 117 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Ugh I hate it when the themes are super open or something I already do because I can never think of what to draw... I usually work best when it's a theme that I can work a cat into.

On the plus side I already have an adorable cat design that works for this. NOM NOM. So, yay!

Before I remembered the cat design I was 0 for 3 on derby designs that were perfect for a holiday that's at least 2 months away... so now I have 3 Easter shirts, a Christmas shirt, and 3 Halloween designs hanging over my head. I'm sketching them out so I don't forget them but still it's a little frustrating. =/

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 117 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
cfdunbar wrote:Okay.... cute is typically NOT my thing so some critique would go a long way.



This is super cute. My suggestions would be to ditch the crown, chopsticks, and the stars and focus instead on giving the fox 9 tails.

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

Feedback appreciated!! Haha. I drew everything myself, no clips, chips, dips, gimps, flips... My hand is worn out! Haha. I was thinking some shading, making some ears bigger, something with panda's hands and feet and maybe smile is too silly, maybe something w the lettering. Whatcha think?

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
leslieh01 wrote:Feedback appreciated!! Haha. I drew everything myself, no clips, chips, dips, gimps, flips... My hand is worn out! Haha. I was thinking some shading, making some ears bigger, something with panda's hands and feet and maybe smile is too silly, maybe something w the lettering. Whatcha think?



Counting 7 colors:

Black, white, orange, tan, green, yellow, red.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

sonofafish


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
leslieh01 wrote:Feedback appreciated!! Haha. I drew everything myself, no clips, chips, dips, gimps, flips... My hand is worn out! Haha. I was thinking some shading, making some ears bigger, something with panda's hands and feet and maybe smile is too silly, maybe something w the lettering. Whatcha think?



Cuteness crib sheet: big heads, stubby limbs, and thick lines don't hurt. Basically baby-like proportions.

as far as what you have here, I'd suggest thicker lines if possible, definitely add some shading. Not to be a jerk, but I can't really tell what kind of animal you have on the right. Rabbit I assume.

the turtles arms look like they're coming out his chest, but it should be an easy fix. it's a little strange tho that his arms and legs are different colors. the back legs should be shell-colored, I think.

Honestly, no one is going to tell you this because harsh critique is hard to give, but it appears as if you drew these without starting with the most basic shapes and adding detail progressively. Conceiving and sketching the basic shapes is just not a step you can skip in figure drawing unless you really know what you're doing. I wouldn't recommend you go back and fix it in this piece, but before you make another design, go find some figure drawing tutorials on youtube. Practice. Remember: you gotta lay the foundation if you don't want the house to topple over, so work on your foundation-laying skills and it'll pay dividends. You are getting better all the time, but it's time to challenge yourself to more structured practice. You can do this!