WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Show us famous characters at work in everyday jobs. Think about company logos and such.

-Remember the copyright rules

-No creme tees!

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

This should be interesting. How creative can you get and still keep it all tied in and wearable?

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Grimgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimgate

so I'm a little stumped As I love the concept but I'm afraid A.) the symbol isn't "Feather dustery" enough and B.) Might be some hardcore rejection bait. :/ stumped.

Nitetigrezz

Grimgate wrote:so I'm a little stumped As I love the concept but I'm afraid A.) the symbol isn't "Feather dustery" enough and B.) Might be some hardcore rejection bait. :/ stumped.

I can't really comment for rejection bait, but as for the symbols, I definitely didn't think feather dusters when I first saw them >.<

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Big ol' Cornucopia ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm a bit confused. So is the idea like Mr. Clean as an actual janitor?

wootdude5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdude5
thatrobert wrote:I'm a bit confused. So is the idea like Mr. Clean as an actual janitor?

Yes, the way I saw it is what the character does or is named, made literal.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
wootdude5 wrote:Yes, the way I saw it is what the character does or is named, made literal.

I think it's pretty much any well known character shown doing some sort of everyday business... doesn't have to be what that character would literally do based on it's known context... like Mr. Clean as a baggage handler should work as well. At least it better be this way or my entry is in real trouble.

Nothing follows.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
Grimgate wrote:so I'm a little stumped As I love the concept but I'm afraid A.) the symbol isn't "Feather dustery" enough and B.) Might be some hardcore rejection bait. :/ stumped.

This has a solid look, though I don't really know much about the reference. To make it more feather-dustery, I would make a group of single/long feathers stretching out from the handle, instead of clusters (though I really like how the clusters look, they don't read duster to me-)

GL!!!

Nitetigrezz

taternuggets wrote:I think it's pretty much any well known character shown doing some sort of everyday business... doesn't have to be what that character would literally do based on it's known context... like Mr. Clean as a baggage handler should work as well. At least it better be this way or my entry is in real trouble.

That's the impression I got from dah rules too. I'm sure you'll be fine Tater.

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:This has a solid look, though I don't really know much about the reference. To make it more feather-dustery, I would make a group of single/long feathers stretching out from the handle, instead of clusters (though I really like how the clusters look, they don't read duster to me-)

GL!!!

I'm probably horribly wrong on this since I'm not familiar with the source material either. My guess though was that the feather dusters are from an insignia based on the source (my first thought was a set wings). It would also explain the worry over rejection x.x

wootdude5

taternuggets wrote:I think it's pretty much any well known character shown doing some sort of everyday business... doesn't have to be what that character would literally do based on it's known context... like Mr. Clean as a baggage handler should work as well. At least it better be this way or my entry is in real trouble.

I get what you're saying, but if your design has the actual character doing an every day job, it would probably be better than a logo that doesn't tie in with the character. I guess we'll see what happens.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Nitetigrezz wrote:That's the impression I got from dah rules too. I'm sure you'll be fine Tater.

Lets hope we're both right.

wootdude5 wrote:I get what you're saying, but if your design has the actual character doing an every day job, it would probably be better than a logo that doesn't tie in with the character. I guess we'll see what happens.

Not gonna lie to you.... the "think about company logos" part threw me as well... I just decided that was one place to find well known characters.... i dunno.

Nothing follows.

wootdude5

taternuggets wrote:Not gonna lie to you.... the "think about company logos" part threw me as well... I just decided that was one place to find well known characters.... i dunno.

That makes sense.

wootdude5

On the top right hand side of your icon when you post, it says "quality posts: #" what is it and what does it mean?

leslieh01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leslieh01

These are rough for no but what do you think about concept and such? Thanks!

Nitetigrezz

taternuggets wrote:Not gonna lie to you.... the "think about company logos" part threw me as well... I just decided that was one place to find well known characters.... i dunno.

FWIW, as a buyer, personally, I think I'd have a lot of fun wearing a play on famous characters/company logos. Not saying there's no way something that doesn't make use of company logos wouldn't win. Just my opinion >.> Probably not saying much though since I already know I'm going to be making full use of google through this derby xp

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Yeah, this is exactly how I took it. The description and rules would be much more detailed if they wanted something specific.

Plus, look at it this way: the more exact woot makes the rules, the more rejectionating has to be done, which is counter to how things have been lately.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
leslieh01 wrote:These are rough for no but what do you think about concept and such? Thanks!

Ha! I was going to do a Gamgee gardener one too, but shifted thinking on it to something else- Really fun design ideas! The color (especially on the gardener one) is something you can really push on those to sell the look- I sort of want it more subtle and soft, less boxy, and working with whatever shirt color you choose (possibly even distressed and old looking???). Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Nitetigrezz

oakenspirit wrote:Ha! I was going to do a Gamgee gardener one too, but shifted thinking on it to something else- Really fun design ideas! The color (especially on the gardener one) is something you can really push on those to sell the look- I sort of want it more subtle and soft, less boxy, and working with whatever shirt color you choose (possibly even distressed and old looking???). Can't wait to see how they turn out!

I definitely agree with the more distressed and old looking for the Gamgee Gardening one, as well as finding a way to make it less boxy. I love the bold colors on it; it really pops. Maybe use a shirt color that can compliment them or contrast well. I wouldn't recommend black since I'd imagine this company working mainly during the spring and summer. Possibly green or brown, or even baby blue? Lemon maybe even? I dunno- never been good with color pairings xp

marceepauff

quality posts: 18 Private Messages marceepauff

This is what I've got going on...
Open to suggestions if you've got any.

tjschaeffer

marceepauff wrote:This is what I've got going on...

It will probably kill the joke, but you're most likely going to get dinged on the use of a proper name. Really funny though and I hope you can find a way around it.

EDIT; Also, I think it would be better if you used Westeros dates on it, instead of the book publication date

leslieh01

Nitetigrezz wrote:I definitely agree with the more distressed and old looking for the Gamgee Gardening one, as well as finding a way to make it less boxy. I love the bold colors on it; it really pops. Maybe use a shirt color that can compliment them or contrast well. I wouldn't recommend black since I'd imagine this company working mainly during the spring and summer. Possibly green or brown, or even baby blue? Lemon maybe even? I dunno- never been good with color pairings xp

oakenspirit wrote:Ha! I was going to do a Gamgee gardener one too, but shifted thinking on it to something else- Really fun design ideas! The color (especially on the gardener one) is something you can really push on those to sell the look- I sort of want it more subtle and soft, less boxy, and working with whatever shirt color you choose (possibly even distressed and old looking???). Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Thanks y'all! I will work on that! Be ready for more rough drafts from me! Haha. I have another idea in the works too.

marceepauff

tjschaeffer wrote:EDIT; Also, I think it would be better if you used Westeros dates on it, instead of the book publication date

286AC?

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

"cookie wars" Which one do you prefer?

tjschaeffer

marceepauff wrote:286AC?

You know...it's possible that not as many people will understand that...

wootdude5

walmazan wrote:"cookie wars" Which one do you prefer?

The first one looks very similar to another shirt on shirtwoot where Darth Vader is cooking for Luke and Leia, and it's titled something like "world best dad", so I would go with the second one. I also like the second one better.

Nitetigrezz

I nearly choked on my drink laughing with this one XD Legit concern though- I'd see if I could touch base with a shirt mod about the use of Joffrey just to be on the safe side. It could be argued though that there's also a Joffrey ballet school.

Also, as a big fan of the books, I personally think 1996 might be better. Even most fans don't fully pay attention to the dates, so the reference to his accurate date of birth might be a bit lost on folks.

Nitetigrezz

walmazan wrote:"cookie wars" Which one do you prefer?

The second one definitely looks cleaner, and like it could be used as an actual business logo XD

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Ugghhh I hope there's no issues with this (or if there are, that you can make it work) because I would totally wear it.

Nitetigrezz

anemality wrote:Ugghhh I hope there's no issues with this (or if there are, that you can make it work) because I would totally wear it.

I'm hoping THIS will make it okay. Joffrey's apparently not a name that doesn't exist in the real world

marceepauff

Woot sells this shirt with "HODOR" at the top...
So???

ETA: Was also thinking of doing Jack Bauer's Anger Management Training and Hodor's Public Speaking Academy...

bennyd302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennyd302

I'm working on Wolverine's Barber Shop. Anyone know if I can't use "wolverine"? Would I have to call it Logan's maybe? Very rough start here.

marceepauff

bennyd302 wrote:I'm working on Wolverine's Barber Shop. Anyone know if I can't use "wolverine"? Would I have to call it Logan's maybe? Very rough start here.

Ha! I was totally considering a Logan's Premium Meat Butcher Shop! Love it!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 26 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Where's the "Cookie Monster as a street beggar" shirt? I mean, he lives in a garbage can, after all. ;) "Will ____ for cookies"

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

momoshwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momoshwing
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Where's the "Cookie Monster as a street beggar" shirt? I mean, he lives in a garbage can, after all. ;) "Will ____ for cookies"

You're insulting the wrong monster, haha. I believe it's Oscar the Grouch who dwells in a trash can.

momoshwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momoshwing
bennyd302 wrote:I'm working on Wolverine's Barber Shop. Anyone know if I can't use "wolverine"? Would I have to call it Logan's maybe? Very rough start here.

I think Logan would work just as well as Wolverine, in case Wolverine isn't allowed. Awesome idea though!

Grimgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimgate

just a brain storm as I'm gonna make a new one....would "Lord Star's School of Pelvic Sorcery" fall into the potty humor region?

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14

I'm thinking about submitting this, do you think there will be any issues?

Averages 10 votes per round ;)

leslieh01

I'm likin the second Darth Vader design, the Wolverine one, and the Doc's driving school! Haha. Great ideas! Sorry, I don't know enough about the Charm school one to make a comment. haha.

fftkrazee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fftkrazee

Here's what I'm working on at the moment. What do ya'll think?